HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 4:30 PM

Came across this today.

Converting a strip mine to Biomass production using Edmonton Sewage Effluent. Closing a coal mine and converting the generating station to NG in the process.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...tion-1.5268509

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 6:21 AM

Regina's upgraded Weather Radar near Bethune is up & running.

It offers double the distance, up to 240kms, for tracking thunderstorms and instead of cycling every 10 mins, which is the standard for radar in the other parts of the country, this new radar cycles every 6 mins, very important for detecting tornadoes in the most prone Province in Canada for tornadoes.

This is a >$100 million initiative of the Government of Canada, in which the Radisson Radar near Saskatoon was upgraded 18 months ago.

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment...katchewan.html

Speaking of tornadoes, Alberta hit a two decade yearly high average number of tornadoes back in July when 22 tornadoes for the year were reported.

https://dailyhive.com/calgary/albert...-count-22-2019

Coincidentally 22 was the yearly high for tornadoes in Saskatchewan last year in 2018. This year though Saskatchewan saw one of it's lowest counts in years.

Looking at the map, surprisingly there was one tornado recorded in a part of the country which only occasionally gets them...

Quebec of all places.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 1:11 PM

Quebec gets 6 to 7 tornadoes per year on average, what's surprising about the fact they had one this year? If anything it is surprising they only had one. I thought you were surprised that Northern Canada had one, which I think is the real surprise.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Quebec gets 6 to 7 tornadoes per year on average, what's surprising about the fact they had one this year? If anything it is surprising they only had one. I thought you were surprised that Northern Canada had one, which I think is the real surprise.
Indeed.

Quebec's single day record is 11 individual tornadoes on June 18th, 2017.

Last edited by rbt; Sep 6, 2019 at 2:35 PM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 4:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Not sure this has been shared here. Article in French about a new tool showing attitudes about climate change across the country.

https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/l...source=dlvr.it

Map showing where people are most likely to agree climate is warming up:

https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/l...source=dlvr.it

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 3:45 PM

This is absolute classic.

Vancouver Sun reporting the students on strike because of climate change, then two stories down they are reporting a record 30,000 people visiting Vancouver via cruise ships this weekend. Talk about a huge middle finger to those students striking in Vancouver. Where is Vancouver Mayor Kennedy Stewart protesting the visitors on cruise ships?! Another beautiful case of hypocrisy coming out of the lower mainland!

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...e-strike-today

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...r-this-weekend

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 11:40 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbt View Post
Indeed.

Quebec's single day record is 11 individual tornadoes on June 18th, 2017.
It's pretty much accepted that almost all tornadoes that form in Northern Ontario go unreported, because they occur in totally unpopulated areas. There is sometimes evidence that suggests past tornadoes have touched down based on blow down in the forests but it often isn't enough to conclude what happened and when.

Northwestern Ontario so far in 2019 has had 2 or 3 confirmed funnel clouds, and I think one tornado touch down, which based on my memory is above average for us.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post

Vancouver Sun reporting the students on strike because of climate change, then two stories down they are reporting a record 30,000 people visiting Vancouver via cruise ships this weekend. Talk about a huge middle finger to those students striking in Vancouver. Where is Vancouver Mayor Kennedy Stewart protesting the visitors on cruise ships?! Another beautiful case of hypocrisy coming out of the lower mainland!

Omg the hypocrisy of BC lower mainland just keeps getting more and more comical! On the same page as the report of a record weekend Vancouver is welcoming 30,000 tourists, there is the story about how the lower mainland municipalities want to file a lawsuit against oil and gas companies to pay for damages from climate change!! Vancouver and area, stay classy!!

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...hange-lawsuits

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Omg the hypocrisy of BC lower mainland just keeps getting more and more comical! On the same page as the report of a record weekend Vancouver is welcoming 30,000 tourists, there is the story about how the lower mainland municipalities want to file a lawsuit against oil and gas companies to pay for damages from climate change!! Vancouver and area, stay classy!!

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...hange-lawsuits
Please lighten up on the feigned outrage. I can only roll my eyes so much.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Please lighten up on the feigned outrage. I can only roll my eyes so much.
I can only roll my eyes so much too with the hypocrisy that comes from the corner of our country

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 6:07 AM

Quote:

LOL and Hackslack trots out his same old “cruise ships are destroying the planet”
schtick.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
LOL and Hackslack trots out his same old “cruise ships are destroying the planet”
schtick.
What’s truly unfathomable is that you have never, ever, once admitted how hypocritical your province is when it comes to destroying the planet. You rag on Alberta and the tar sands how they are the worst for the earth, at the same time the “greenest” city in the world is offloading 30,000 people by the worst form of transportation, in a single weekend. Your elected leaders are adamant on suing companies which feed their craving and demand of a product which drives their economy.

Btw, cruise ships are not only absolutely destroying the planet, they are destroyings the ecosystems which they traverse, and are one of the biggest threats to the orcas.

So great work whatnext! You and yours are some of the most to blame for the situation we are in when you simply mock the fact that cruise ships are in fact destroying the planet.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 1:11 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
What’s truly unfathomable is that you have never, ever, once admitted how hypocritical your province is when it comes to destroying the planet. You rag on Alberta and the tar sands how they are the worst for the earth, at the same time the “greenest” city in the world is offloading 30,000 people by the worst form of transportation, in a single weekend. Your elected leaders are adamant on suing companies which feed their craving and demand of a product which drives their economy.

Btw, cruise ships are not only absolutely destroying the planet, they are destroyings the ecosystems which they traverse, and are one of the biggest threats to the orcas.

So great work whatnext! You and yours are some of the most to blame for the situation we are in when you simply mock the fact that cruise ships are in fact destroying the planet.
I think you have overlooked the fact that the people who are doing the protesting would probably also gladly ban cruise ships if they could.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I think you have overlooked the fact that the people who are doing the protesting would probably also gladly ban cruise ships if they could.
Maybe read my post again. I was simply saying that these kids who are out protesting, which is great, were basically given a big “f you” as cruise ships were offloading 30,000 people. I’m not calling the kids hypocritical, I’m saying the lower mainland in general, and the elected officials are. You’re right, if the kids are properly educated, they probably would gladly ban cruise ships, it’s just that those elected officials who look to sue oil companies cannot even acknowledge the fact that they should probably ban cruise ships that fuel their economy before they can start to blame others.

Likewise, another story was available which discussed how the lower mainland municipalities want to sue the oil companies, but then on the same page there is the same story about how 30,000 people will descend upon Vancouver all by cruise ships... which, in case you didn’t know, empty up to 1 million cars worth of emissions per day the operate.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 1:50 PM

Quote:

BC is just following Alberta's famous mantra:

"We care about climate change, but if we don't do this destructive behaviour, somebody else will, so we should just do it here!"

You guys sure are jealous of our coastline though.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Likewise, another story was available which discussed how the lower mainland municipalities want to sue the oil companies, but then on the same page there is the same story about how 30,000 people will descend upon Vancouver all by cruise ships... which, in case you didn’t know, empty up to 1 million cars worth of emissions per day the operate.
Did you always want to go on a cruise as a kid but have never been able to? You really love the cruise ship angle.

Maybe if you stop supplying oil, cruise ships will have nothing to power them, and get too expensive to operate. All of the companies will fold. Win-win for the climate.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Did you always want to go on a cruise as a kid but have never been able to? You really love the cruise ship angle.

Maybe if you stop supplying oil, cruise ships will have nothing to power them, and get too expensive to operate. All of the companies will fold. Win-win for the climate.
I really have a love of this planet actually, and the way that the lower mainland treats it yet blames others is what the real issue is.

What I find strange is that not you, whatnext, or architype have not even denounced Vancouver and the fact they are offloading so many people via cruise ship, that emit 1 million cars worth of emissions per day. You simply try to divert the convo and mock me into loving cruise ships etc..

Brilliant! You must be an economist! Didn’t realize it was supply that drives demand! I also didn’t realize Alberta was the only producer of oil in the world and that if Alberta didn’t supply, no other country could.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 3:53 PM

Quote:
What I find strange is that not you, whatnext, or architype have not even denounced Vancouver and the fact they are offloading so many people via cruise ship, that emit 1 million cars worth of emissions per day. You simply try to divert the convo and mock me into loving cruise ships etc..
I think cruise ships and cargo ships are dirty and the emissions are a real problem. Digging out tar sands oil and then shipping it overseas is a double whammy, and that doesn't even include the potential impacts of a spill on land or water.

However, per wikipedia:

"Maritime transport accounts for 3.5% to 4% of all climate change emissions, primarily carbon dioxide"

So.... let's not get too bent out of shape, shall we?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I think cruise ships and cargo ships are dirty and the emissions are a real problem. Digging out tar sands oil and then shipping it overseas is a double whammy, and that doesn't even include the potential impacts of a spill on land or water.

However, per wikipedia:

"Maritime transport accounts for 3.5% to 4% of all climate change emissions, primarily carbon dioxide"

So.... let's not get too bent out of shape, shall we?
By that logic, Canada only emits 1,6% of global climate change emissions, with oil sands emissions accounting for 10% of that or only .16% of global climate change emissions. So... let’s not get too bent out of shape, shall we?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 4:05 PM

Quote:
I really have a love of this planet actually, and the way that the lower mainland treats it yet blames others is what the real issue is.

Brilliant! You must be an economist! Didn’t realize it was supply that drives demand! I also didn’t realize Alberta was the only producer of oil in the world and that if Alberta didn’t supply, no other country could.
Greta von Hackslack

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada