HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 1:55 AM

^^just a buff, checking out the different styles in Southern Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by van Hemessen View Post
If by "urban" you're describing high density older neighbourhoods with small walk-ups and rowhouses (like much of Hamilton and parts of Toronto) I think the lack of such architecture in London is mostly because the "urban" parts of other cities are former industrial slums. London never had the huge manufacturing base that cities like Toronto and Hamilton did and thus had no need to house thousands of laborers at a very low cost. Hence, few dense inner city neighbourhoods.
That's part of it, though I think there is more to the difference in urban form than that. At least in Hamilton, the upper and middle classes also lived in rowhouses. Many were loyalists from the east coast in the US. Also in Hamilton's case there is the geographic constraint of the Niagara Escarpment and the lake and harbour. Both Toronto and Hamilton became large cities (2nd and 4th largest in Canada) in the late 1800's and being compact made it easier to get around the city in the days before the automobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Are these houses protected like in an historic district or something? They are incredibly beautiful and very well preserved.
Woodfield is designated as an historic district and some of the houses are designated under the Ontario Heritage Act. Seeing as so many of the houses are well cared for, I think this neighbourhood will retain its historic character.

Last edited by flar; Feb 11, 2009 at 2:35 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos