HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 3:31 AM

Should it yield any ideas for location for the natty young gent currently under consideration, here are the "Buss" and "Buss+" listings from the 1929 CD:

In re: Trash. I well remember noticing at the time that Ladybird Johnson's campaign to make America beautiful made a big difference, at least where I was. Before it, everyone would casually throw trash, paper, cigarettes, and so on out their car windows as they rolled along, and would do it without a thought. After she sensitized us, in my experience more people had a greater tendency to be less thoughtless about such things.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

A young man, "Buss", poses for a photograph in 1929 Los Angeles.

eBay

Garbo on the billboard?

gettyimages.co.uk
imgc.artprintimages.com

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyJK View Post
A MOST handsome young man! But what a lot of trash at his feet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Should it yield any ideas for location for the natty young gent currently under consideration, here are the "Buss" and "Buss+" listings from the 1929 CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
Garbo on the billboard?
Thanks for your help guys.

There are other vintage snapshots the eBay seller has listed that might be from the same lot. If anyone wants to check them out go Here. (it's fun!)

I noticed the trash too, RudyJK. At first I thought it might be a clue that is telling us the street corner is a busy one.
BUT then I thought it might be a lesser corner that just isn't swept as often. (I got nothing)

Thanks for the "Buss" listings, odinthor. I'm going to go through the addresses that hold the most promise.

Good idea checking out the movies released in 1929, Noir Noir. The advertisements make me think the street is a main thoroughfare.
I mean. . why would the studios place ads where few people would see them.

Now I'm back to thinking it's a busy street corner. (whiplash!)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 22, 2021 at 6:00 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

I haven't found mention of one being installed at the PE Bldg./Huntington Bldg.; but by 1916 there was one at L.A.'s Santa Fe Hospital:

Hospital Management, v. I, p. 1, 1916.
I'm very familiar with this complex, more recently known as the Linda Vista Hospital. After it closed in the 1990s, it was used for rentals/film shoots until being converted into senior housing a few years ago. In the interim, I was involved with a man who wanted to develop it into market-rate lofts.

It's an interesting complex of several buildings, and some unique spaces inside (and yes, some were creepy). But there was no cylindrical fire escape slide that I ever saw. Unless it was installed inside the old smokestack from the on-site incinerator!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 8:31 PM

In re: "Buss."

According to scanty information ultimately deriving from the 1940 census, Elmer J. Bussell of (in 1929) 1030 W. 49th and of (in 1940) 6342 6th St. was born around 1901. Is our gent in the picture arguably about 28 years old?

If anyone asked me, "Does that young man in the pic have an air of working in a motion picture laboratory?" (as the CD listing indicates for Elmer), I would be constrained to reply, "Why, yes. Yes he does."

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 9:15 PM

2" Transparency Slide Roy Rogers TV Audio Taping HOLLYWOOD

ABC. .Studio 26. .Los Angeles. .1962

eBay

Is this really how television shows were recorded back in 1962?...I thought the sound technician would be in a sound-proof room. . not on a folding table against the wall !

I can't go without commenting on the young man's festive shirt. Not only does it match the wall and signs, it sparkles!

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 25, 2021 at 4:10 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyJK View Post
A MOST handsome young man! But what a lot of trash at his feet.

I guess we think that things were clean and nice so many years ago. But the scourge of man made pollution rears up in these old photos to prove us wrong.
Interesting observation. I've seen many photos and films from many decades ago, and it appears that cities were much dirtier then. My Dad told me that up until about the 50s, U.S. highways were routinely used as dumping grounds (not just the kind of litter we see today). Having had a career in air quality, I know that air pollution was far worse until the EPA and states starting cracking down on emissions. Water quality was also far worse in the past.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 2:10 AM

Quote:
2" Transparency Slide Roy Rogers TV Audio Taping HOLLYWOOD

ABC. .Studio 26. .Los Angeles. .1962

eBay

Is this really how television shows were recorded back in 1962?...I thought the sound technician would be in a sound-proof room. . not on a folding table against the wall !

I can't go without commenting on the young man's festive shirt. Not only does it match the wall and signs, it sparkles! I wonder if the whole crew wore these shirts for the Christmas special...(maybe Dale made them)

Cafe Bustelo Estuvo Aqui!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 8:05 AM

Ida Wyman, primarily known for her "street" photography, took this undated photo, I would guess about 1950....location also not identified, but to me it looked like D.T.L.A.

Is that the City Hall depicted on her cap?....the three shield-type signs reflected in the glass appear to be in the form of the old Union Pacific signage. 

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post

Ida Wyman, primarily known for her "street" photography, took this undated photo, I would guess about 1950....location also not identified, but to me it looked like D.T.L.A.

Is that the City Hall depicted on her cap?....the three shield-type signs reflected in the glass appear to be in the form of the old Union Pacific signage. 
^^^

From the coin dispenser on her waist and her uniform, I take it she is a parking meter maid, lot attendant, streetcar/bus change & ticket attendant or something like that. The emblem on her cap might be that of the Pacific Electric system (not absolutely sure) and that might be city hall. The aviator glasses give a no nonsense "don't mess with me" vibe. The pic might be a bit earlier than 1950, perhaps mid to late '40s, even WW2 era.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jan 23, 2021 at 2:23 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 5:48 PM

Bringing together the subject of trash on L.A. streets and my supposition that "Buss" is Elmer Jack Bussell (sometimes he used "Elmer J. Bussell," sometimes he used "E. Jack Bussell," sometimes he used "E.J. Bussell"), the following from 1946 indeed seems to be written by our lad:

LA Times, August 12, 1946.

The "adjacent to Beverly Hills" choice of the Bussells seems borne out by Mrs. Bussell having bought a residence at 1363 N. Doheny in 1942:

gsv

Both Bussell and his wife appear to still be alive by September 29, 1963, when they're mentioned--neither as "late"--as the parents of "the bride-elect" in an upcoming marriage; the bride was indeed "the grand-daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Albert N. Chamness, pioneer residents of Whittier" (LA Times, 9/29/1963).

Edit Add:

Just a research note: Should anyone want to read the L.A. Times' 3-part series on the street litter and trash in L.A. as it was in 1946, the articles, photos, and reactions will be found in the paper's issues of (late) July and August, 1946.

Last edited by odinthor; Jan 23, 2021 at 10:33 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 5:54 PM

I don't believe we've ever come across this building at the nwc of Mission Road and Lincoln Park Ave (then known as Prichard Street), built in late 1912 by real estate investor Joseph Mesmer:

(This image was sent to me for identification by a veterinarian at the Wroclaw Zoo in Wroclaw, Poland.)

I found this item in the LAT of November 24, 1912:

The aviary business appears to have remained in the building until 1916, then was moved by manager Frank Weinberg to what appears to be his home nearby at 120 N. Gates St.

The building was demolished in 1932 and a branch of the Calif DMV is on the site today.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 8:23 PM

Wow! That's an awesome place, GW. Hard to believe we haven't come across it until now.

At one point in time the plans also included a bowling alley and billiard room.

Los Angeles Herald, Aug. 24, 1912

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 8:40 PM

I just Google searched the image, which I should have done in the first place, and an art gallery labels the picture "The Transette, San Antonio, Texas, 1948".

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 10:28 PM

From Twitter, 10 Oct 2019:

#ThisdayinSAhistory 1949: "The last of San Antonio’s Transettes disappeared from San Antonio streets today. At one time during the war there were more than 30 of the green-suited transettes handing out change and giving information to bus riders."

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 1:03 AM

Alluring matadora parking attendants at the Golden Violin on the Sunset Strip. (1963)

eBay

eBay

I've never heard of the Golden Violin.... Does anyone know where on the strip it was located?

for search purposes:...eve marlow...jane dunn

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 24, 2021 at 1:18 AM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 8:18 AM

The Golden Violin restaurant was at 8917 Sunset Boulevard. From jhgraham.com:
Little Hungary, also known as Little Gypsy, was open here by November 1937, featuring Hungarian food and the music of gypsy violins.

Though it changed names in 1960, the restaurant retained the same theme as The Golden Violin, owned by Rose Dietch. Dietch went a different direction in 1964, changing the name to The Galaxy, which it remained into 1969.
The article has a couple of photos of Little Hungary/Little Gypsy but none of the Golden Violin or The Galaxy.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 1:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
From Twitter, 10 Oct 2019:

#ThisdayinSAhistory 1949: "The last of San Antonio’s Transettes disappeared from San Antonio streets today. At one time during the war there were more than 30 of the green-suited transettes handing out change and giving information to bus riders."

Transit S. A., TX

That cap emblem is the ''Transit Tower" referenced in the ad. The Tower was a city landmark before WW II and after.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 7:06 PM

Quote:

Alluring matadora parking attendants at the Golden Violin on the Sunset Strip. (1963)

LAPL

Keep it in your pants, boys. Get 'em hard and get 'em drinking--seems the Playboy Bunny trend spread into the Valley....

The LAPL's description:

"Shapely models bolster business at Valley Cafe"

"Photograph article dated May 29, 1963 partially reads, 'The biggest luncheon attraction since the advent of blue plate specials is ringing cash registers in Valley restaurants. Unlisted on any menu, the three-letter attraction is credited by one Northridge restaurant operator with doubling his business. 'We started lingerie fashion shows about a year ago after seeing the success they had at the Golden Violin on the Sunset Strip,' says Herb Gross, owner of Jo Jo's restaurant in Northridge. 'Our first shows, with clothes, increased business about 20 per cent--then we took the clothes off and business doubled,' says Gross."

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 7:41 PM

LA Times, February 15, 1960.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos