HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 12:46 PM

Cool.
But i thought they had started south view condos already.. but i guess not.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 5:55 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Replacing roof only option for York Street train station
By SHAWN BERRY
berry.shawn@dailygleaner.com
Published Friday December 7th, 2007
Appeared on page A3

There's only one option to winterize the York Street train station and that's to put on a new roof.

Stakeholders made up of representatives from federal, provincial and city governments, Fredericton Friends of the Railway and J.D. Irving Ltd. met face-to-face Thursday to talk about winterization options for the downtown landmark.

The only solution, they were told, is to replace the entire roof. That would prove a costly endeavour.

"The issue at this point is we've done the assessment, we've done the engineering work, the architects have been there: there's no interim inexpensive solution," said J.D. Irving Ltd. spokeswoman Mary Keith.

The cost is significant, she said, declining to elaborate.

Stakeholders will meet again in January, she said.

"The good news is when the roof is done, it will be a permanent replacement that occurs. But it is an expensive option, so we're continuing to talk to the other members of the group."

Keith said there has been no new interest in a commercial venture for the site.

Irving has said the best way to ensure the train station is restored is to have a commercial development that would help underwrite restoration costs.

The company, which owns the station built in 1923, has been pressed to ensure the structure and its tattered roof doesn't deteriorate further.

The crumbling York Street station is listed as one of Canada's 10 most- threatened heritage sites by the Heritage Canada Foundation, a non-profit group.

In 1991, the building was designated as a heritage site by Parks Canada. Irving has said the building was in serious disrepair when it took possession four years later.

The company estimates it would cost up to $2 million to restore the building to the historical integrity expected by the federal government's heritage department.

An office complex project proposed in 2002 was the best contender for a revitalization of the property, but the project fell through.

--------

Gallery gets $125K to attract visitors
By ADAM BOWIE
bowie.adam@dailygleaner.com
Published Friday December 7th, 2007
Appeared on page A3

The Beaverbrook Art Gallery received a donation Thursday to provide greater financial stability and attract new visitors.

The New Brunswick Foundation for the Arts has committed $125,000 to the gallery through its New Brunswick Arts and Heritage Stabilization program.

The funding is expected to help the gallery in two ways: $100,000 will help provide stability in its working capital reserve and help with new acquisitions; and $25,000 will be set aside for technical support and marketing strategy.

Foundation chairwoman Anne Bertrand said turmoil at the gallery following the Beaverbrook art dispute helped remind people that the gallery is a valued provincial resource.

"The approach that it has given to New Brunswickers is, 'Oh, are we actually at risk of losing our gallery?' " she said.

"And that became such an important factor for us."

Bertrand said helping the gallery is in the best interest of the foundation because the gallery has done so much to enrich the province's cultural landscape since being created in 1959.

"It's a provincial gallery and it's been a mainstay of New Brunswickers in their daily lives for nearly 50 years," she said.

Bernard Riordon, the gallery's director and CEO, said the funding will give the gallery a chance to focus on what it does best -- help people encounter art and culture.

"You're going to see a new vision statement, which is going to be 'The Beaverbrook Art Gallery enriches life through art,' and that's going to be our guiding principle in our mission of bringing art and community together," he said.

"Hopefully, (the new funding) will allow more people to encounter art and to share our selection more nationally, internationally and around the province."

Riordan said he also hopes the money will put the gallery on solid financial footing and fund "strong programs that really bring art and the community together."

Riordon said the gallery is focusing on moving forward.

"I think it's important that we put this legal issue behind us as quickly as possible," he said.

"This certainly gives us the confidence that there's a validation of what we're doing and we're protecting the assets of the people of New Brunswick and we're seeking new donors and new patrons, creating new activities and celebrating our artists and making our collection accessible and available."
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 7:03 PM

Anyone know when the Hugh John Flemming chrismas tree festival is?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 11:01 PM
Nashwaaksissy

This weekend.

(I worked in the building this time last year....went down at lunch break and got free admission....bought more chocolate covered pretzels than I can care to count. )

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 11:21 PM

Lol

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 4:10 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxFamilyGuyxx View Post
Cool.
But i thought they had started south view condos already.. but i guess not.
I'm going to head by there tomorrow to see if anything's been started yet. There was a holdup because they were getting too close to the property line with the city (the walking trail) when they were cutting trees, but I hadn't heard any updates since until I saw the ad on the gleaner website.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 4:35 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Meeting will address future of city school
By ADAM BOWIE
bowie.adam@dailygleaner.com
Published Monday December 10th, 2007
Appeared on page A3

Parents and community members are invited to attend a public meeting tonight to discuss the future of Alexander Gibson Memorial School in Marysville.

The meeting is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. and will take place at the school.

District 18 Supt. Alex Dingwall said the meeting will give parents and other community members information about the condition of the facility.

"Two years ago we looked at doing an assessment of the Alexander Gibson school facility, with regard to the integrity and building codes and whatever," he said.

"We received the consultant's report on that and we're going to be presenting the results of that report at a public meeting on that night."

Dingwall said the Gibson school, which was originally built in 1926, is in need of several extensive renovations.

He said the school district needs to have a public meeting with parents and members of the community to discuss whether the district should repair the old school or build a new facility.

He said the community needs to consider the best plan of action to remedy this situation.

Dingwall said he understands this will be a concern for some people connected to the school.

"It's always controversial -- that's the word with regards to any kind of change," he said.

"To bring that school up to code, we have to tell the public how much that's going to cost and where we're going to be at the end of that.

"So if there's any other alternatives like building a new school, certainly people will want to discuss the merits of that."

With files from Daily Gleaner reporter Jennifer Dunville.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 3:06 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Some more construction photos:

Northside Kent

Two Nations Crossing Fire Station

Another Bishop Place Apartment Building

The foundation is down for one of the Capital City Condominiums in behind this building, and I noticed a small strip mall just being finished (kinda like an Alison Blvd one) on Woodside Ln (extension of Bishop Drive on other side of Hanwell Rd).

UNB's newest apartment building...

Water Treatment Plant for the Queens Square wells

Northeast Ramp for Westmorland Bridge

Other than those, I didn't get to Kimble Middle School site or the Market Place on Kimble, but I drive by them almost every day, so one of these days I'll remember my camera for them.

The Southview Condos haven't broken ground yet...I guess the property line issue delayed it quite a bit.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 3:58 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Thanks for the pics! If I wasnt sooo broke and had some gas in my car I'd probably take some myself...

That fire station looks very lonely up on its hill haha.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 4:12 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_pendousmat2 View Post
Thanks for the pics! If I wasnt sooo broke and had some gas in my car I'd probably take some myself...

That fire station looks very lonely up on its hill haha.
Pretty big place for a fire station.

So that apartment next to the Physical Plant is owned by UNB?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 4:36 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post

Yessir it seems really out of place up there...it looks almost like a mini industrial park up there and then BAM random new apartment building...

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 4:57 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post

Yup, owned by UNB, and the sign says "students welcome"! lol Gee, thanx, you only financed the thing on our tuition and residence fees, thanks for letting us pay an arm and a leg to live in it too.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 5:37 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smevo View Post
Yup, owned by UNB, and the sign says "students welcome"! lol Gee, thanx, you only financed the thing on our tuition and residence fees, thanks for letting us pay an arm and a leg to live in it too.

Oh, how the world turns....

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 4:31 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Kimble funds to be announced
By JENNIFER DUNVILLE
dunville.jennifer@dailygleaner.com
Published Tuesday December 11th, 2007
Appeared on page A1

The Liberals are expected to announce funding for two major District 18 projects in today's capital budget.

Education Minister Kelly Lamrock said approximately $8 million will be set aside for the completion of the Kimble Drive school.

"Construction has started on the new Boiestown/Doaktown school for the Upper Miramichi area, so we're putting about $4 million toward that as well," Lamrock said.

"We're also planning to put aside approximately $1 million to update other schools around the district."

Construction on the Kimble Drive school, which is replacing Albert Street Middle School, began in October.

The facility will have 7,288-square metres (78,400-square feet) of space and house 645 students in grades 6 to 8.

It will have 20 classrooms, an art room, music room, two science rooms, one computer land and other rooms for technology and physical education.

It will feature a large gymnasium and a cafeteria which will be designed to function as a cafeteria or an auditorium.

Supt. Alex Dingwall said the funding announcement will see the project become a reality by the September 2009 deadline .

"We are extremely pleased with the amount both for the Kimble and the Boiestown/Doaktown schools," Dingwall said. "We know government has a hard time finding that money, so we're very pleased to see these two new construction sites being served well."

Lamrock said he's excited to see both projects moving forward.

Both facilities will help improve the education of children by making sure they have top-notch schools in which to learn, he said.

"With the Kimble project, we are finally going to have a school that is befitting of the talent of the teachers at Albert Street," Lamrock said. "The school in Upper Miramichi will show that two communities can come together, find a compromise and create a top quality school."

The rest of the 2008-2009 capital budget will be announced later today as Finance Minister Victor Boudreau tables it at the legislative assembly.

Details of spending for the Department of Education are expected to be announced when departmental estimates are rolled out.

Lamrock said he expects to have more details by the end of the week.

--------

Northside schools may be combined
By JENNIFER DUNVILLE
dunville.jennifer@dailygleaner.com
Appeared on page A1

Marysville students may be getting a new school, but it could mean the loss of a school for the South Devon area.

District 18 officials held a public meeting Monday night to discuss the future of Alexander Gibson Memorial Elementary School.

The kindergarten to Grade 5 facility, which was built in 1926, was recently reviewed by an engineering firm after district officials became concerned.

The structure was deemed safe for children, but it's in dire need of repair.

Community members have three options to choose from. They include renovating the school, building a new school for Marysville or building a community school that would house both Marysville and South Devon students.

The latter would mean the closure of South Devon and Alexander Gibson schools.

"The big thing is the status quo isn't going to be good enough to continue serving the needs of the students in the Marysville area," said District 18 Supt. Alex Dingwall on Monday night.

"The present school is old and tired. We want to recommend that a new school be built, but we have an obligation to consult with the public first before submitting our recommendation to the minister of education for funding."

Dingwall said it would cost about $5.8 million to bring the school up to code. Most of the school's wiring, exterior walls, and ventilation system would need to be replaced. Building a new school would cost about $7 million, Dingwall said.

Education Minister Kelly Lamrock is the MLA for the Marysville area and both of his children attend Alexander Gibson.

At the meeting, Lamrock told parents that he would love to see his children attend a new school with up-to-date technology and lots of recreational space.

But he said he'll work for whatever the majority in the community wants -- as long as it's the best solution for students.

"As an MLA, I will work hard to find the funding for this project," Lamrock said.

"But as the education minister, I will do what's best for the children and their educations."

A location for the proposed school has been purchased.

The site is located to the right of the intersection of Two Nations Crossing and Cliffe Street on Fredericton's north side. It would be closer to Crocket Street than Cliffe Street and would encompass more than 30 acres of land.

"The location is great because it's still part of Marysville and could still be the heart of the community while providing the kids with lots of sports and activity space," said Paul Harpelle, a member of Alexander Gibson Memorial's parent-school support committee.

"My son is in Grade 2, so my wish is that this project gets underway in time for him to benefit."

Most of the 50 people who attended the public meeting spoke in favour of a new school, but not all are happy about the idea of giving up a treasured historic building.

"My parents and grandparents attended this school," said Kathryn Flinn. "My son is in the same classroom where I attended Grade 4. You can't replace that kind of history."

Flinn said she would rather see the district spend the money to renovate rather than build another school.

The building is old, but charming and still has the same look and smell as it did when she attended, Flinn said.

"It still has the old wooden doors and coat closets outside the classroom with old chalkboards and chalk. Two of my children attend the school now and I would be very sad if my other two children couldn't have the same experience that five generations of my family have had."

Dingwall said he expects to have at least one more meeting with the Marysville community in addition to meeting with residents from South Devon.

Once the district submits its recommendation to the education department, Lamrock said he will hold public meetings again with Marysville and South Devon before making the final decision.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 4:34 PM
Nashwaaksissy

City offers developers a deal
By STEPHEN LLEWELLYN
llewellyn.stephen@dailygleaner.com
Appeared on page A5

The city is offering local developers a 12.5 per cent discount that could be worth tens of thousands of dollars on the purchase of city land to spur new affordable housing projects.

Council passed a motion Monday night to change its policy on land sales.

Coun. Mike O'Brien, chairman of the city's ad hoc committee on affordable housing, said to get the discount developers must agree to make one in four units in a development affordable.

"What we are trying to do here is wave a carrot in front of them," he said.

"Private developers are just too busy right now building houses and apartments and renting them that they haven't got time to really take a deep breath and step back and take on an affordable housing project."

He said the policy change is an important first step that sends a signal to developers that council is serious about affordable housing.

On a piece of land worth $200,000, which would not be unusual for an apartment building project, the discount would be worth $25,000, said O'Brien.

The city is also compiling a list of properties it owns deemed suitable for affordable housing.

"There are a lot of people here in the community that have a dire need for affordable housing," said O'Brien. "This is just a way to say, look, we are listening, we care, we are trying to do our best."

He said Fredericton has the highest housing costs in New Brunswick.

A person would have to earn twice the minimum wage to afford a two-bedroom apartment without paying more than 30 per cent of their income which is the definition of affordable, said O'Brien.

He said the city wants small affordable housing projects that blend in with the community.

That is why the policy suggests eight units, he said.

"That seems to be the magic number," said O'Brien. "If it is eight units, two have to be affordable.

Coun. Scott McConaghy supported the proposal.

"It is good for the city and good for affordable housing," he said.

Coun. Bruce Grandy said the issue of affordable housing has been discussed for a long time and something must be done to get developers interested.

"We need to start somewhere," he said.

Grandy said Fredericton is a great city with lots of development going on but there are some people who need help.

But Coun. Cathy MacLaggan didn't support the proposal. She said she would rather see a policy that required all the units in a project to be classified affordable.

MacLaggan said only requiring one in four units to be affordable may have an unintended effect of hurting projects proposed by affordable housing groups.

But the motion passed with only MacLaggan voting against it.

Mayor Brad Woodside said he knows that the issue is contentious but he feels the new policy is heading in the right direction.

Council also directed staff to work with the provincial Department of Family and Community Services to explore other ways to increase the construction of affordable housing, including policies that may involve a cost-sharing component with the city.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 6:33 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Church votes to save York House
By SHAWN BERRY
Published Wednesday December 12th, 2007
Appeared on page A1

Brunswick Street Baptist Church members have voted overwhelmingly in favour of supporting a deal that would save York House.

Congregants supported the motion for an agreement-in-principle with the City of Fredericton by 94 per cent during a meeting Tuesday night.

That deal would see the congregation swap the York House property for three other properties located to the west of the church, which could be used for a 30,000-square-foot expansion.

Of the 221 votes cast, only 14 were opposed. The vote required a majority of at least 75 per cent to pass.

"To see 94 per cent vote in favour of this shows we're united," said Paul Greene, a spokesman for the congregation.

The new proposal by the city was one church members couldn't turn down, he said.

"In June, when we voted to tear down York House, that was a good decision of the church at the time because that was the only option we had to move forward. This was something we didn't have in June."

But once finalized, the deal will involve a land swap between the congregation and the city.

The city will acquire the Knights of Columbus Hall on George Street and two dwellings on Brunswick Street in exchange for the 114-year-old architectural landmark.

Once finalized, the deal will see the congregation free to continue the planned 30,000-square-foot expansion while the city will convert York House to office space.

Mayor Brad Woodside said he was thrilled with Tuesday night's outcome.

"I think everybody realizes the importance of this building and the heritage," he said.

"In 10 or 15 or 20 years, there's going to be new people in the community who will look back at that building and say 'Wow.' It's not for us, it's for someone else, and that's what heritage is all about."

People who have lobbied to see the building saved expressed relief late Tuesday night.

"That pleases me to no end," said Peter Pacey, who pressed for Baptist church members to reconsider their plans to destroy the building.

"A lot of people don't realize it, but that building is probably the most important (in Fredericton) in many ways," he said, noting the architecture that is also shared by a school in Lunenburg, N.S.

They were both designed by architect James Charles Dumaresq.

Fredericton resident Mary Milliken started the Save York House group on the Facebook social-networking site.

"I'm just so pleased," she said Tuesday night. "I do think it's marvelous because it just seems to be such a great idea.

"That is the ideal win-win-scenario as far as I can tell.''

Old Posted Dec 18, 2007, 5:59 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Group to get downtown land to build new hall
By SHAWN BERRY
Published Tuesday December 18th, 2007
Appeared on page A4

The province has decided to offer downtown land on Regent Street to the city for part of a deal to save York House.

The land would serve as the home of a new Knights of Columbus hall.

The Daily Gleaner has learned the new hall is to be located on the east side of the street between Regent Optical at 162 Regent St. and the Caisse Populaire Beausejour branch at 198 Regent St. The three lots located between those two properties are used for parking.

The land is just one piece in a massive land swap that will see the city acquire York House, which the owners had slated for demolition. In exchange, the city will offer Brunswick Street Baptist Church the Knights of Columbus hall at 359 George St. and two residential properties on Brunswick Street so it can expand.

But to make the deal work, the city had to find the Knights of Columbus a new place to call home.

That's where the deal with the province fits in.

Particulars of the Regent Street transfer weren't available Monday.

Information from Service New Brunswick indicates that the three Regent Street properties are located between the two buildings on that block. All three are described as parking lots.

The lots belong to the Department of Supply and Services.

The Knights of Columbus Bishop Dollard Council 1942 was offered a new 2,600-square-foot building to move. While it's smaller than their current hall, the new one would be one level and wheelchair accessible.

Details of the cabinet approval for the deal were revealed last week when Brunswick Street Baptist Church congregation members accepted a land-swap deal.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 4:39 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Downtown convention centre details will be coming Friday

By STEPHEN LLEWELLYN
llewellyn.stephen@dailygleaner.com
Published Thursday December 20th, 2007
Appeared on page A1

Months of waiting and speculation will end Friday when Premier Shawn Graham tells Frederictonians how the province will participate in the downtown convention centre project.

Graham mentioned the multimillion-dollar convention centre during a year-end interview Wednesday.

"Stay tuned for Friday," said the premier.

Graham wouldn't provide any details.

Greg Byrne, the Liberal MLA for Fredericton-Lincoln and minister of Business New Brunswick, said Wednesday the Liberal government recognizes how important the convention centre is for the city and the province.

"I think the people of Fredericton will be very pleased with the commitment that the provincial government will unveil on Friday," he said.

The city plans to build a $21-million convention centre with underground parking adjacent to The Playhouse between Queen Street and King Street.

City hall has hired ADI Ltd. to design, engineer and build the complex. Construction is expected to start in the spring.

ADI is working with Cannon Design of Buffalo, N.Y., and Urban Strategies Inc. of Toronto.

Initially the city wanted the province to contribute $3 million and the federal government to kick in $8 million towards the project.

But Ottawa has been silent on participating and there was no money in the province's 2008-09 capital budget, which makes a grant unlikely.

Instead, speculation is focused on the concept of the convention centre including a $41-million office tower and an additional above-ground parking structure costing $7 million, bringing the total cost of the project to $69 million.

The province and the city have been talking about the possibility of the government leasing space in such an office building.

The province is trying to figure out what to do with the aging Centennial Building on King Street that houses most civil servants in Fredericton.

Fredericton Mayor Brad Woodside said Wednesday the city has been discussing a number of possibilities with the province.

He declined to comment on the specifics of Friday's announcement.

"I am being really careful not to upstage the province," said the mayor.

"The premier and the province of New Brunswick have certainly given the people of Fredericton a very nice Christmas gift."

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 5:03 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Awesome news!

Seems as though two cities in NB will have a nice new convention center soon, hopefully

I had never heard about the possible office tower...41 mil could build an awfully nice building, maybe even the new tallest for freddy!!!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_pendousmat2 View Post
Awesome news!

Seems as though two cities in NB will have a nice new convention center soon, hopefully
You guys are just catching up, the real city in New Brunswick has had a convention centre for decades

Just kidding around, great news for Fredericton (always loved that crazy Marysville)!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces