HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

Hollywood Blvd. outside the Music Box Theatre, aka the Pix Theatre, aka the Henry Fonda Theatre. On the left, the Hollywood Gun Shop.

Sergeants 3 is playing at the Pix, starring, it appears, the entire Rat Pack: Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Peter Lawford and Joey Bishop.

A Closer Look: Pantages blade sign on the right. On the left: Eddie's Food Cocktails, a "Hotel" blade sign (don't recall a Hotel there...) ...and a yellow and green sign that says "Blue Chip Stamps." Maybe it's blue, not green? Also a row of those Hollywood street lamps with orange stars on them.
I saw "Oceans 11" at the Pix in 1960 and "Sergeants 3" at the Pix in 1962. Next year, I saw "4 for Texas" at the Pix. Then, in 1964, I saw "Robin and the 7 Hoods" at the Hollywood. "Cannonball Run II" came out in 1984, but I first saw it on TV. So much for the Rat Pack movies.

I also remember standing in line behind Billy De Wolfe at the Blue Chip Stamp redemption center.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Thanks for your help, BillinGlendaleCA. I appreciate it.

We minions gotta minion.

When I lived up there, on occasion I'd have to dig holes for various things, I noticed that after digging though about 18-24 inches of sandy soil and rocks I'd find a nice fine clay. The legacy of those floods are still evident up there.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

www.historicmapworks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
What is the building in the center of Central Park? I thought it was a fountain but the color suggests otherwise.
We have probably covered this already but...as you know..MY MEMORY IS POOR. ;(

The shape in the sanborn map is the impressive gazebo that used to stand in the center of 6th Street Park / Central Park.

If you look closely, the Hazard Pavilion..and one of it's corner towers..is visible in the background.

sepiatown

Also...compare the curves of the gazebo with the 1910 Sanborn map. (they match)

Here's a closer look. (HAZARD PAVILION = RED ARROWS)

sepiatown

Now I'm curious about the sculpture that looks like an old press. (beheath the BLUE arrow)
Is that Farmer Brown...or old McDonald?

update:

After looking at the photograph again, I think the 'old press' is a drinking fountain. (the girl appears to be taking a drink) *slurp*

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 24, 2019 at 5:16 AM.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 1:02 AM

Quote:

YouTube/Getty Images

The 1956 CD lists the Hotel Vermillion/Vermillion Hotel at 6162 Hollywood Boulevard. Back in the 1942 CD, the Hotel Regent was at 6162 Hollywood Boulevard.
Quote:

In 1962, it was the Hotel Hastings or the Hastings Hotel of Hollywood or some variation thereof. Here's an earlier incarnation which I posted back in 2013. I think we were trying to figure out which hotel window one of e_r's Ebay finds was taken from.

The Hastings Hotel before it was demolished in 1994.

live.staticflickr.com

A room at the Hastings.

hippostcard.com

Raji's Nightclub also housed in the building hosted a slew of famous rock groups from Guns N' Roses to Nirvana from 1985 to 1993.

Facebook - Raji's Nightclub a Hollywood Memorial Group

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 8:12 AM

Greetings! So I finally picked up and've now opened this pack of pix, and of course they're fantastic. So many adventures of Claire & Clio!

More Heller family tidbits, while we're at it: in 1920—according to the census—Charles was the 42-yo Ohio-born dentist head of the family at 741 W 11th, whose parents came from France; his wife Cecilia, 35, was born in Louisiana, and had German folks; the Hellers lived with their daughter Elanore, a 24-yo violin teacher; and Claire, 12, and Clio, 10.

Here's Clio in the UCSB yearbook in 1932 (the one on the right):

...and Clio is a teacher, still living with her folks on 11th in 1940. She married Alfred Warren Lang Leaman in 1959 and died in San Jose in 1992.

But it's almost 1:00am and I want to get to at least one of these images before bed, so, let's solve some of the mysteries of the Second St tunnel...

The Faultless Baking Company Bread!

Doesn't seem to be anyone in the big machine as earlier surmised...

Claire? Clio? Seems like an older lady, reaching down to pet the doggy...

Still don't get what's going on with this guy's leg:

There's even this character over on the left no-one knew was there before—

...but like I said, it's late. More to come in the coming days!

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:14 PM

Nice Beaudry, !
_________

HossC and NoirNoir, thanks for refreshing my information about that Hotel Hastings etc. I think the condensed photo angle made me think it was almost right next to the Pix; I see it's near to but not next to...
_________

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
I saw "Oceans 11" at the Pix in 1960 and "Sergeants 3" at the Pix in 1962. Next year, I saw "4 for Texas" at the Pix. Then, in 1964, I saw "Robin and the 7 Hoods" at the Hollywood. "Cannonball Run II" came out in 1984, but I first saw it on TV. So much for the Rat Pack movies.

I also remember standing in line behind Billy De Wolfe at the Blue Chip Stamp redemption center.

BDiH, do you remember that flooding/weather incident in 1962?

Were those Blue Chip stamps (I remember both blue and green stamps growing up), those stamps you got at places like grocery stores and filled up books of them that you could use to get items like appliances, among other things? Those stamps seemed ubiquitous when I was quite young, and mothers got their kids to lick them all and put in the books, but at some point they seem to have disappeared. Wonder when that was?

Wonder what Billy De Wolfe redeemed his stamps for? Heh! If you were waiting in line for awhile did he remark that the place was "Bizzy bizzy bizzy"...?

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 9:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Greetings! So I finally picked up and've now opened this pack of pix, and of course they're fantastic. So many adventures of Claire & Clio! ]

Still don't get what's going on with this guy's leg:

!
I don't think that's his leg but something tied on to the fender.

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 3:20 AM

The only thing I can think of with that shape that would be mounted in that position would be an acetylene generator for carbide headlights.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 7:47 AM

So I showed one of my car buddies the mysterious car-leg fellow and I think he's figured it out. He's of the opinion it's a 1915 Willys Overland (so, definitely too late for a carbide generator).

It had a crank in front, and apparently the owner got some cotton cloth, or whatnot, and made a loop around the crank to the headlight bar. People would tie up their cranks sometimes for better ground clearance, or for a "neater" look, or because when cars got old and beat up (and seven years old was old for a car back then) the crank tended to rattle.

Like so:

So with the crank pulled over to one side, and with a loop around the headlight bar—

What makes reading the image difficult, of course, is Mr. Boater Hat wearing a suit of a similar color material which blends with our crank-strap.

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Were those Blue Chip stamps (I remember both blue and green stamps growing up), those stamps you got at places like grocery stores and filled up books of them that you could use to get items like appliances, among other things? Those stamps seemed ubiquitous when I was quite young, and mothers got their kids to lick them all and put in the books, but at some point they seem to have disappeared. Wonder when that was?
Trading stamps died off completely about 1980, but in my anecdotal experience, as a practical matter they lapsed into irrelevance hereabouts by 1975, the victim of the advent of bare-bones grocery pricing (led by Lucky Stores, as I recall).

There were two brands of trading stamps: Blue Chip Stamps and S&H (Sperry and Hutchinson) Green Stamps. Green Stamps were much better, being worth considerably more (their posted value was 1 2/3 mills as opposed to 1 mill for Blue Chip Stamps), but all the major stores gave Blue Chip.

Trading stamps were awesome. We had a large family, and the stamps were a significant enhancement to our lifestyle. I personally benefited with two bicycles.

And don't get me started on Betty Crocker points.

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 3:10 PM

Well sleuthed, Beaudry, crank strap it is.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Criblecoblis View Post
Trading stamps died off completely about 1980, but in my anecdotal experience, as a practical matter they lapsed into irrelevance hereabouts by 1975, the victim of the advent of bare-bones grocery pricing (led by Lucky Stores, as I recall).

There were two brands of trading stamps: Blue Chip Stamps and S&H (Sperry and Hutchinson) Green Stamps. Green Stamps were much better, being worth considerably more (their posted value was 1 2/3 mills as opposed to 1 mill for Blue Chip Stamps), but all the major stores gave Blue Chip.

Trading stamps were awesome. We had a large family, and the stamps were a significant enhancement to our lifestyle. I personally benefited with two bicycles.

And don't get me started on Betty Crocker points.
I can remember accompanying my mother as a young tot to a Blue Chip Stamp redemption center, and their slim catalog of goods. Can't recall exactly what she traded in her books of stamps for, but it might have been something as exotic as an electric can opener. I do remember that it was a lot of books.

Lucky supermarkets seem to have been ubiquitous for a long time and I don't know if any remain. In fact there used to be many more grocery chains in and around Los Angeles. Market Basket, Alpha Beta, The Boys, Food Giant, Royal, among others. Now the only chains we have are Ralph's, Vons/Pavillions, and Trader Joe's.

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Lucky supermarkets seem to have been ubiquitous for a long time and I don't know if any remain. In fact there used to be many more grocery chains in and around Los Angeles. Market Basket, Alpha Beta, The Boys, Food Giant, Royal, among others. Now the only chains we have are Ralph's, Vons/Pavillions, and Trader Joe's.
Don't forget Smart & Final, Whole Foods, Bristol Farms, Gelson's, Sprouts and to a lesser extent Food 4 Less, Stater Bros., Albertsons and even some Aldi.

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 6:18 PM

And Bristol Farms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
I remember shopping in Market Basket in Studio City when I moved there. This Market Basket, in fact, as seen in the Jerry Lewis film "The Disorderly Orderly, from 1963, the year the Market Basket opened.

Screenshots:

Jerry making a mess... Wish I could get salmon for that price now!

In the above view, notice Vince's Gym across the street (Ventura Blvd.) a very notable gym. Vince Gironda trained movie stars and wanna be movie stars there, as well as hardcore physical enthusiasts.

Last edited by Martin Pal; May 25, 2019 at 6:40 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 6:52 PM

Quote:
On the left side of the above photo near the bottom, you see a sign with red writing and yellow and white vertical stripes. That was a club called Cinnamon Cinder:

There were several of these non-alcoholic clubs, ostensibly for younger patrons, in the SoCal area in the early 60’s, and many now classic rock and roll acts played there. They were owned by legendary concert promoter and Newlywed Game host Bob Eubanks. The Studio City club hosted a press conference for the Beatles before their appearance at the Hollywood Bowl in 1964.

I thought these clubs had been mentioned on NLA, but I don't find them in a search, nor can I find a photo of this club.

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 8:34 PM

A couple from the Heller Girl series—

"Claire & Clio—1918. Where—814 W 11th St." and on verso: "1918—House being moved SW of office 741 W 11th St. where Wagner Woodruff Bldg now stands." I like how they sawed off the tops of the gables so they'd pass under telephone wires.

The girls!

The 1916 Eleventh St Garage was located at 820 W 11th. The 1919 Wagner-Woodruff that replaced the Victorian house was Train & Williams, love to see a photo of that. That tenement house further west was 1913. Everything was wiped out in 1968 for the convention center; Eleventh is now Chick Hearn which dips further south so this site is now in the middle of the Microsoft Theater. Look at those roller-things in the street—"roller-things" being an extremely technical term in house moving, don't you know.

Roller-things appear again in this image:

"SW corner 7th & Figueroa June 1920"

She's wearing the same socks she had in 1918—

Makes sense they had to move the house, here's the 1914 and 1921 SW corner of 7th & Fig—

So she's standing, from what I can tell, on the porch of 910 W 7th, and here's the June 1920 moving permit—

And in its place go an L-shaped market/stores/bank building designed by Walker & Eisen:

...and I made a quick peruse for 7th & Fig pix for it (according to DBS the works were demo'd in '56) with no luck, but now I've gotta sign off, so maybe one of you fine folk can find one. The best I found was this:

cal state library

Hey look, it's Claire & Clio!

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 8:38 PM

Quote:

Nice Beaudry, !
_________

HossC and NoirNoir, thanks for refreshing my information about that Hotel Hastings etc. I think the condensed photo angle made me think it was almost right next to the Pix; I see it's near to but not next to...
_________

BDiH, do you remember that flooding/weather incident in 1962?

Wonder what Billy De Wolfe redeemed his stamps for? Heh! If you were waiting in line for awhile did he remark that the place was "Bizzy bizzy bizzy"...?
I do vaguely recall the floods. I also went to the World Theatre in 1963, just when the name was changed from the Marcal. I remember the World (and other theaters) closed for the evening of November 22, after President Kennedy was killed. The World was a nice theater at first, showing Lawrence of Arabia and Irma La Douce and many other top films, before it went down hill.

The Green Stamp redemption center was on Las Palmas, just off Hollywood Boulevard, where Berry Que juice bar is today.

I don't remember what item Billy De Wolfe was selecting (or what I was, for that matter), but my friend asked him if he still did back flips, which earned us a dirty look. "Bizzy bizzy bizzy." Ha ha!

As a side note, I would like to see someone on Skyscraper post some of the popular Hollywood Bars that no longer exist, such as the Firefly, Hal's Nest, the Garden Room, the Cameo, the Lido (Lido Hotel), the Side Car, and many more. The only one left is the Frolic Room.

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post

So with the crank pulled over to one side, and with a loop around the headlight bar—

................................................................................................................

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 10:41 PM
BANNED

pinterest

Blue Chip Stamps

I recall that it took many purchases and lots of stamp pasting to get anything at the Redemption locations.

It seemed like most of our family's stamps came from gasoline stations, as we had 5 cars that used a lot of gas. We had the stamps and blank books stored in old shoe boxes. It was a craze that came and went.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; May 26, 2019 at 3:18 AM.

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:
On the left side of the above photo near the bottom, you see a sign with red writing and yellow and white vertical stripes. That was a club called Cinnamon Cinder:

There were several of these non-alcoholic clubs, ostensibly for younger patrons, in the SoCal area in the early 60’s, and many now classic rock and roll acts played there. They were owned by legendary concert promoter and Newlywed Game host Bob Eubanks. The Studio City club hosted a press conference for the Beatles before their appearance at the Hollywood Bowl in 1964.

I thought these clubs had been mentioned on NLA, but I don't find them in a search, nor can I find a photo of this club.

Cinnamon Cinder, Ventura Blvd, 1963.

Google Books - It's in the Book, Bob!

Last edited by Noir_Noir; May 26, 2019 at 7:56 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos