HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 11:27 PM

Hog's Back Falls in Ottawa is officially named Prince of Wales Falls (very few people know this) and is a man-made waterfall. You would never guess by looking at it. It was named at the same time as nearby Prince of Wales Drive and named for the future King Edward VIII. The original river channel was immediately to the west and is now blocked by a huge rock dam and was built when the Rideau Canal was built. The dam failed three times during construction, the last time with the founder of Ottawa, Colonel John By standing on it as it failed. He managed to get off the dam before the dam collapsed. Historically, there was no waterfall at this location, just a long series of rapids.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Hog's Back Falls in Ottawa is officially named Prince of Wales Falls (very few people know this) and is a man-made waterfall. You would never guess by looking at it. It was named at the same time as nearby Prince of Wales Drive and named for the future King Edward VIII. The original river channel was immediately to the west and is now blocked by a huge rock dam and was built when the Rideau Canal was built. The dam failed three times during construction, the last time with the founder of Ottawa, Colonel John By standing on it as it failed. He managed to get off the dam before the dam collapsed. Historically, there was no waterfall at this location, just a long series of rapids.
Thanks for the history!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
A few I've seen recently: Hogg's Falls and Cooper's Falls: both off fantastic nearly empty roads.
If you ever get back to the Cooper's Falls area, I highly recommend going a bit further up the road to Victoria Falls. Most photos don't really do it justice, unfortunately, but it's quite lovely and there is more freedom to move around and explore since it's all parkland there.

Ragged Rapids, between the two, is also really pretty but much harder to access. The Ganaraska Trail goes by it on the south side of the river, and you might now be free to access the north side of the river as the Couchiching Conservancy now owns a large plot of land in the vicinity, but I'm not 100% sure if they have any access restrictions on it or not. http://couchichingconserv.ca/what-we...es/ron-reid-2/

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 2:25 PM

Those Ottawa falls were pretty cool. Stopped by them last time I was in the area in 2012. Had time to kill before going back to the airport. Great place to spend some time.

Montmorency was nice. Drove around a little bit in the area and I found the geography of the neighbourhood to be quite interesting. I preferred these falls to Jacques Cartier NP.

Niagara is the only falls I could actually stare at. It's the combination of sheer volume, the colours and the surrounding scenery and landscapes.

Love that all those Hamilton waterfalls are so close by. Been to most of the main ones. Being a fan of curvy up and down roads, I think that I like the drive there and back to those places better.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 2:28 PM

Elora Falls in the town of Elora, outside Guelph is pretty nice given its setting.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 2:36 PM

I found the stepped look of Sauble Falls off Lake Huron to be pretty cool.

https://wanderingwagars.com/sauble-beach-ontario/

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...y_Ontario.html

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Niagara is the only falls I could actually stare at. It's the combination of sheer volume, the colours and the surrounding scenery and landscapes.
Niagara is on a different scale than pretty well everything else shown here. I first saw Niagara when I was 6 years old and to be honest I'm not sure I've been similarly impressed by any waterfalls that I've seen since.

I had visited Niagara several times before but it wasn't until my last visit a few years ago that I finally took a Maid of the Mist boat... it blew me away. Being surrounded by 180-plus degrees of rushing waterfalls was surreal. Probably one of the top tourist attractions I've ever visited.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 4:28 PM

The Horseshoe Falls are spectacular, but Niagara suffers from the context being rather less stunning and the exposure to them eventually making you somewhat inured to its beauty.

There are a lot of spectacular waterfalls in the NWT that are off most people's radar because they are mostly inaccessible. La Ronciere Falls are certainly not of the same scale as Niagara, but placed in their surroundings, they're stunning.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 5:42 PM

Pass Creek Falls. Castlegar's closest of 3 waterfalls in our area:

Pass Creek Falls by JeffAmantea, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 5:48 PM

Ya that's pretty frickin nice. I'll have to wait till teleportation is invented before I can visit most of these places.

I just watched an old episode of Power Boat Television and he went boating on Great Slave and was hanging around in Yellowknife. The territories are fascinating for a number of reasons and it would be amazing to visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
The Horseshoe Falls are spectacular, but Niagara suffers from the context being rather less stunning and the exposure to them eventually making you somewhat inured to its beauty.

There are a lot of spectacular waterfalls in the NWT that are off most people's radar because they are mostly inaccessible. La Ronciere Falls are certainly not of the same scale as Niagara, but placed in their surroundings, they're stunning.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 8:08 PM

Just sitting here killing time waiting for client feedback on some work thinking about how Covid ruined my roadtrip this year. I was going to be up in the territories and didn't know they had so many amazing waterfalls. @ I would have seen in person.

The Largest which you need to fly into is the Virginia Falls on the Nahanni River at 30 storeys tall!!! ( sorry don't know how many feet.

20150626-H-Nahanni_0128 by Daryl, on Flickr

Virginia Falls in Nahanni National Park, Northwest Territories. Nahanni is hands down one of the greatest national parks in the world, yet few people know it exists. It only gets 800 visitors per yer (compared with 4m visitors a year in Banff or 4.4m per by Renne Botchway, on Flickr

The Lady Evelyn Falls
Lady Evelyn Falls by Val & Jim, on Flickr

LA RONCIERE FALLS
L1040882_1 by Wolfgang R. Weber, on Flickr

CARCAJOU FALLS
Scan_06 by Wolfgang R. Weber, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 8:43 PM

I discovered this summer that you can visit La Ronciere Falls (and other areas in Tuktut Nogait National Park) with Google Streetview. Parks Canada partnered with Google to do this for a variety of sites. Some are reasonably accessible, but a lot of them, like this one, are remote. https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/multimedia/cartes-maps/sec02

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 3:42 PM

Found this shot of Niagra Falls on Facebook (Architecture & Design, credit to @legionxstudios).

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 7:29 PM

Great shot of Chaudiere Falls in Ottawa-Gatineau. This one from about a year ago.

https://twitter.com/LeDroitca/status...91082680750081

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 9:18 PM

Les Chutes de la Chaudière, à Lévis (Charny), this spring. An underrated place along highway 20, where to have a little stop or a picnic. Of, course, the falls are not as wild all the time, but the place is very nice any time of the year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iABd5LoAko

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 9:25 PM

The other two waterfalls around Castlegar:

Tulip Creek Falls

Tulip Creek Falls by daisylou76, on Flickr

Glade Falls

Glade Creek Falls, BC by Amanda Lazaruk, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 3:40 PM
Look at me!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 6:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I love Montmorency Falls. Definitely a top tier attraction in the Quebec City area.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Just sitting here killing time waiting for client feedback on some work thinking about how Covid ruined my roadtrip this year. I was going to be up in the territories and didn't know they had so many amazing waterfalls. @ I would have seen in person.

The Largest which you need to fly into is the Virginia Falls on the Nahanni River at 30 storeys tall!!! ( sorry don't know how many feet.
Thanks for this post!

Some other neat waterfalls...

Kakabecka Falls, Ontario

from Flickr

Scenic High Falls, Ontario

from My Drive Holiday

Dog Falls, Ontario

from I've Been It

Pisew Falls, Manitoba

from Travel Manitoba

Kwasitchewan Falls, Manitoba

from Flickr

Crescent Falls, Alberta

from Must-Do Canada

Lundbreck Falls, Alberta

from YouTube

Bow Glacier Falls, Alberta

from Flickr

Moul Falls, BC

from AllTrails

Canim Falls, BC

from Flickr

Chatterbox Falls, BC

from Flickr

Sylvia Falls, BC

from Wikipedia

Gold Creek Falls, BC

from Mr Russell Photography

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 12:40 AM

The Rideau Falls in Ottawa. Just east of downtown it is where the Rideau River meets the Ottawa River.

Rideau Falls

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eridony/

In Winter

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcc_028/

Not to be mistaken for the Ottawa Locks just to the West, where the Rideau Canal meets the Ottawa River

https://www.flickr.com/photos/all4travel/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewperryphoto/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada