HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 5:52 PM
Modulator

Alta Warehouse District

Went by this morning and they are actively rebuilding the elevator cores. So this one is going back up again after the fire last year.

The elevator cores are going back up in the original locations, so this project will stay the same. I was kind of hoping maybe they would have revisited the design a little and came up with something a more urban. Wishful thinking

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 6:23 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Went by this morning and they are actively rebuilding the elevator cores. So this one is going back up again after the fire last year.

The elevator cores are going back up in the original locations, so this project will stay the same. I was kind of hoping maybe they would have revisited the design a little and came up with something a more urban. Wishful thinking
Wood Partners often does this with their Alta developments. They build them on the exact cusp of structured and surface parking.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 6:33 PM

That building is going to have the biggest net effect on Downtown housing, in my opinion. You all should be happy they are moving forward with it regardless of parking, size, etc. It introduces nice housing to the south side of the tracks, the long term effect from this one is going to be significant in the way that Camden on Van Buren helped change the feel of that area.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 6:51 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
That building is going to have the biggest net effect on Downtown housing, in my opinion. You all should be happy they are moving forward with it regardless of parking, size, etc. It introduces nice housing to the south side of the tracks, the long term effect from this one is going to be significant in the way that Camden on Van Buren helped change the feel of that area.
Who said I wasn't happy? Just wished for a little more urban design. I didn't say I didn't want it built

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Who said I wasn't happy?
I don't know. Did someone say you aren't?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 7:38 PM

You're both pretty!

BD - You are correct that it will greatly encourage development south of the tracks!!!!!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 9:05 PM
Modulator

Tower crane going up for the Toll Brothers development on Thomas/Central.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Tower crane going up for the Toll Brothers development on Thomas/Central.
That's great to hear I believe this is the first crane of 1Q.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddave View Post
That's great to hear I believe this is the first crane of 1Q.
4 Cranes in Midtown in the last 12 months.

I never thought this could happen

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 9:32 PM

Work has begun on the reuse project at 500 E Thomas Rd.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 9:55 PM

Since there's not a ton of news lately, I'll note that I saw that the City is in the process of condemning and has received a demo permit to demolish this warehouse at 1st Ave./RR tracks:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4444...7i16384!8i8192

From what I could tell they are acquiring the property as part of building the South Central light rail line. I didn't look doggedly enough to figure out why it has to be demoed.

On the one hand, it's not historically protected nor does it seem particularly attractive or noteworthy. On the other hand, from the historic aerials, it does seem like it's old--it looks like the front half facing the street goes back to at least 1930, and it looks like it was expanded to its present form in the early 1950s. And losing any of the historic warehouses is somewhat disappointing to me. At the very least, I'd keep this building over the pink liquor store if made to choose.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 1:16 AM

In other slow news Azfamily.com 3 TV, has a story about a proposed apartment development on the corner of 3rd Ave and Coolidge St, just south of Camelback Rd that is now facing opposition. I think the developer is called Trinsic - was too lazy to cut paste through my phone. It’s odd since Elevation which is of similar size is literally two blocks away. And not to sound petty but the houses across the street from the new proposed development aren’t necessarily eye candy.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANUC View Post
In other slow news Azfamily.com 3 TV, has a story about a proposed apartment development on the corner of 3rd Ave and Coolidge St, just south of Camelback Rd that is now facing opposition. I think the developer is called Trinsic - was too lazy to cut paste through my phone. It’s odd since Elevation which is of similar size is literally two blocks away. And not to sound petty but the houses across the street from the new proposed development aren’t necessarily eye candy.
Here's the article. I love the man who complains about "our" green space, which is actually private property and woman who worries about a "four-story high rise"

Phoenix neighbors fighting proposed apartment complex

PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) - Neighbors in midtown Phoenix are fighting a proposed apartment complex at the corner of Third Avenue and West Coolidge Street, which is just south of Camelback Road.

"Oh, I am angry. I am really angry," said neighbor Henry Harding.

The 218 unit, four-story apartment complex would be built on a lot currently occupied by an empty office building. The grassy corner of the lot is technically private property, but it's been used by the neighborhood as an informal park.

"We need our green space," Harding said.

But the developer says that the green space won't be going away.(Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

The project's been recommended for approval by the Phoenix Planning Commission, and the zoning case is scheduled for a vote by Phoenix City Council at Tuesday's meeting.

"Lots of things that go on in the neighborhood sometimes are centered about this park," said neighbor Latisha Smidt, who also opposes the plan.

But the developer says that the green space won't be going away. It'll simply be moving to the Grand Canal.

"We're putting in a substantial investment between our property line and the canal to create a park," said Todd Gosselink of Trinsic Residential.

Gosselink says that Trinsic Residential has been talking to neighbors since September and has held numerous neighborhood meetings.

Gosselink says that to address street parking concerns in the area, Trinsic Residential will be building more garage space than required by the city: 303 spaces for the 218 unit complex. They also adjusted plans for the building to make the entrance and exit farther away from the neighborhood, and they've offered to pay for a street parking permit program to keep people in the apartment complex from parking in front of houses.

Trinsic Residential will be building more garage space than required by the city: 303 spaces for the 218 unit complex.
(Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

"We were a little surprised to see this level of disappointment at this late, a phase of the entitlement process. But we're continuing to work with them and we think that we've got logical answers to address all of their concerns," Gosselink said.

And while Gosselink says there are plenty of neighbors and nearby businesses that are welcoming the development, others say it'll simply be too large for their little neighborhood.

The grassy corner of the lot is technically private property, but it's been used by the neighborhood as an informal park.
(Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

"I'm very angry that the city is allowing this to happen. And I know it's all about money," said Teresa Hayes, who lives across from where the apartments are planned to be built. "How would you like to live across the street from a four-story high rise that you don't want in your neighborhood? "

Copyright 2021 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 2:23 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
Here's the article. I love the man who complains about "our" green space, which is actually private property and woman who worries about a "four-story high rise"
Yea, I was chuckling about that this morning. The neighbors are upset because their "improvised private pet poop yard" is going to be redeveloped. It's not their property and they have no say on the development of the grass lot. Heck, the developer is even building a park space space up against the canal to make up for the loss of the grass space and the residents are complaining?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 2:40 AM
self-important urbanista

It's sad how many people think that four stories meets any widely accepted definition of "high rise."

I understand the concerns about the green space. It's a nice little informal park there, but if the developer is truly going to put equivalent space along the canal, that should work out even better.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 5:16 AM
Skyriser

I remember reading the rezoning staff report and almost wanting to send the lead NIMBY a nastygram about taking a crap in his front yard whenever I saw fit. The lot is zoned C-2, so they could get a 56' building anyways.

I became at that point very glad I never became an urban planner. I have no patience for that level of stupid.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Yea, I was chuckling about that this morning. The neighbors are upset because their "improvised private pet poop yard" is going to be redeveloped. It's not their property and they have no say on the development of the grass lot. Heck, the developer is even building a park space space up against the canal to make up for the loss of the grass space and the residents are complaining?
One day you realize that almost everybody knows pretty close to nothing. Even the ones who are in charge and allegedly are supposed to know what they are talking about, generally have no idea what the f they are talking about.

And then you reach Zen.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 10:29 PM
Modulator

The Fillmore has a new name: Mercer on Fillmore

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 7:17 PM

Hi Everyone, I'm a long time viewer but rarely post. I was curious if anyone knows the name of the Toll Bros complex going up on Indian School and Central? Also anyone know the status of the large project that is supposed to be built on the NE corner of that intersection? Thanks!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRAM View Post
Hi Everyone, I'm a long time viewer but rarely post. I was curious if anyone knows the name of the Toll Bros complex going up on Indian School and Central? Also anyone know the status of the large project that is supposed to be built on the NE corner of that intersection? Thanks!
I dont know if it had an official name yet. Whatever it was it will surely change before opening as most do.

As for the opposite corner it was always seen as kind of pie-in-the-sky by most of us here and I dont think we have seen much news on it for a year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest