HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1101  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 9:05 PM
SIGSEGV's Avatar
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is online now
He/his/him. >~<, QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Loop, Chicago
Posts: 3,736
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1102  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 12:48 AM
sentinel's Avatar
sentinel sentinel is offline
Plenary pleasures.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,342
Hallelujah it's about fucking time
__________________
Don't be shy. Step into the light.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1103  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 5:40 PM
lakeshoredrive lakeshoredrive is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 136
I am very excited for this project and the economic catalyst it will be for that area. I am excited to see Cornell Drive taken out, but I am wondering what will the alternate route be? Will Stony Island be widened?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1104  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 8:43 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 14,746
^ Yes, Stony will be widened. Instead of turning off at 57th, traffic from Lake Shore Drive will be directed to stay on LSD further south to Hayes then cut over to Stony. Hayes will be rebuilt similar to LaSalle thru Lincoln Park, with underpasses for pedestrians.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1105  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 9:14 PM
lakeshoredrive lakeshoredrive is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ Yes, Stony will be widened. Instead of turning off at 57th, traffic from Lake Shore Drive will be directed to stay on LSD further south to Hayes then cut over to Stony. Hayes will be rebuilt similar to LaSalle thru Lincoln Park, with underpasses for pedestrians.
So the turnoff at 57th will be just for the MSI and local traffic. That's good.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1106  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 7:25 AM
rlw777 rlw777 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,732
Is Tiger Woods' Golf Course design company still planning the Jackason Park/South Shore golf course restoration? I've been wondering if they've been waiting for the Obama Presidential Center to get the go ahead.

I got to image the combo of a PGA level Tiger Woods golf coarse and the Obama Presidential Center will pretty transformative and drive some other development in the area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1107  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 5:18 PM
Busy Bee's Avatar
Busy Bee Busy Bee is online now
Leftist Correctist
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: on the artistic spectrum
Posts: 7,112
I admittedly haven't followed the OPL thread super close over the years but am stoked it's finally coming together. I am curious though, what exactly is the point to closing off 57th like they are planning? I don't really get what that has to do with the library.
__________________
IF I HEAR THAT HUMIRA SONG ONE MORE TIME I'M GOING TO TRAVIS BICKLE MY TV
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1108  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 8:15 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 14,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I admittedly haven't followed the OPL thread super close over the years but am stoked it's finally coming together. I am curious though, what exactly is the point to closing off 57th like they are planning? I don't really get what that has to do with the library.
They're not closing 57th, they're closing Cornell. If you exit LSD at 57th, you won't be able to zoom around MSI onto Cornell like now. You'll have to sit at a stoplight at the Midway/5900S and turn left onto Stony Island, and then sit through 4 additional stoplights in front of the Obama Center and Hyde Park Academy and a stop sign at 64th before getting to the "superhighway" part of Stony south of Marquette. So you can still exit at 57th to go south, it'll just be a lot slower to go that way than to take the new route via Hayes. More importantly, the new widened Stony Island will have full curb bumpouts, landscaped median, signalized crosswalks etc so it is friendly for pedestrians to cross and access the whole of the park.

What keeps getting forgotten here is that all the roadway changes south of Hayes are not for the Obama Center, but for the privatized mega-golf course that the Park District is planning. Somehow the golf course has not riled up activists because it's not a building, even though it's far more of a problem for gentrification than the Obama Center is. The course that they're building is intended to be expensive and exclusive, unlike the public courses that exist now.

__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...

Last edited by ardecila; Feb 5, 2021 at 8:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1109  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 8:19 PM
Busy Bee's Avatar
Busy Bee Busy Bee is online now
Leftist Correctist
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: on the artistic spectrum
Posts: 7,112
Ah okay I see it now, thanks for the visual.
__________________
IF I HEAR THAT HUMIRA SONG ONE MORE TIME I'M GOING TO TRAVIS BICKLE MY TV
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1110  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 9:58 PM
sentinel's Avatar
sentinel sentinel is offline
Plenary pleasures.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
They're not closing 57th, they're closing Cornell. If you exit LSD at 57th, you won't be able to zoom around MSI onto Cornell like now. You'll have to sit at a stoplight at the Midway/5900S and turn left onto Stony Island, and then sit through 4 additional stoplights in front of the Obama Center and Hyde Park Academy and a stop sign at 64th before getting to the "superhighway" part of Stony south of Marquette. So you can still exit at 57th to go south, it'll just be a lot slower to go that way than to take the new route via Hayes. More importantly, the new widened Stony Island will have full curb bumpouts, landscaped median, signalized crosswalks etc so it is friendly for pedestrians to cross and access the whole of the park.

What keeps getting forgotten here is that all the roadway changes south of Hayes are not for the Obama Center, but for the privatized mega-golf course that the Park District is planning. Somehow the golf course has not riled up activists because it's not a building, even though it's far more of a problem for gentrification than the Obama Center is. The course that they're building is intended to be expensive and exclusive, unlike the public courses that exist now.

In an alternate reality, I imagine a Chicago where the organizers of the 1893 World's Columbian Expo spent a little more money and made permanent buildings instead, and all of that evolved to become the location of the UN instead of NYC. Imagine visiting that today..
__________________
Don't be shy. Step into the light.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1111  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 10:53 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 14,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Is Tiger Woods' Golf Course design company still planning the Jackason Park/South Shore golf course restoration? I've been wondering if they've been waiting for the Obama Presidential Center to get the go ahead.

I got to image the combo of a PGA level Tiger Woods golf coarse and the Obama Presidential Center will pretty transformative and drive some other development in the area.
I outlined the serious problems with the golf plan above, but yeah this is basically dependent on the OPC.

The golf course plan can't move forward without the roadwork for the OPC that will close certain roads and build underpasses at other roads for pedestrians (and golf carts). After this infrastructure is built, it will allow the joining of the various courses that currently exist.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1112  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 11:07 PM
Busy Bee's Avatar
Busy Bee Busy Bee is online now
Leftist Correctist
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: on the artistic spectrum
Posts: 7,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
In an alternate reality, I imagine a Chicago where the organizers of the 1893 World's Columbian Expo spent a little more money and made permanent buildings instead, and all of that evolved to become the location of the UN instead of NYC. Imagine visiting that today..
Yes please.
__________________
IF I HEAR THAT HUMIRA SONG ONE MORE TIME I'M GOING TO TRAVIS BICKLE MY TV
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1113  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 5:25 AM
BrinChi BrinChi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I outlined the serious problems with the golf plan above, but yeah this is basically dependent on the OPC.

The golf course plan can't move forward without the roadwork for the OPC that will close certain roads and build underpasses at other roads for pedestrians (and golf carts). After this infrastructure is built, it will allow the joining of the various courses that currently exist.
I'm not seeing how the roadwork plans help join Jackson Park Golf Course with South Shore Golf Course...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1114  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 4:21 PM
Mr Downtown's Avatar
Mr Downtown Mr Downtown is offline
Urbane observer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
the location of the UN instead of NYC
Keep in mind that Chicago offered Northerly Island as the home of the UN. Surprisingly, they decided not to spend their winters out in Lake Michigan downwind of the stockyards.

Leaving aside the problem of travel time to Chicago in a pre-jetliner era, Charlene Mires writes in Capital of the World: The Race to Host the United Nations that the site selection committee summarily ruled out all Midwestern locations because of the famous isolationism of the region's newspapers. Obviously, Col. McCormick's Tribune was leader of the pack, having been a loud, steadfast, and influential opponent of US involvement in World War II.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1115  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 4:40 PM
sentinel's Avatar
sentinel sentinel is offline
Plenary pleasures.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Keep in mind that Chicago offered Northerly Island as the home of the UN. Surprisingly, they decided not to spend their winters out in Lake Michigan downwind of the stockyards.

Leaving aside the problem of travel time to Chicago in a pre-jetliner era, Charlene Mires writes in Capital of the World: The Race to Host the United Nations that the site selection committee summarily ruled out all Midwestern locations because of the famous isolationism of the region's newspapers. Obviously, Col. McCormick's Tribune was leader of the pack, having been a loud, steadfast, and influential opponent of US involvement in World War II.

The Chicago Tribune, always on the wrong side of history:
__________________
Don't be shy. Step into the light.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1116  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 11:15 PM
archguy archguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 7
News came through that the Obama Presidential Center will break ground by late summer this year!

https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/02/oba...kson-park.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1117  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 8:07 PM
HomrQT's Avatar
HomrQT HomrQT is offline
All-American City Boy
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Hinsdale / Uptown, Chicago
Posts: 1,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by archguy View Post
News came through that the Obama Presidential Center will break ground by late summer this year!

https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/02/oba...kson-park.html
Dang I preferred the previous design.
__________________
1. 111 W 57 - Manhattan, New York - SHoP Architects - Photo
2. 9 Dekalb Ave - Brooklyn, New York - SHoP Architects - Photo
3. One Chicago Square - Chicago - HPA and Goettsch Partners - Photo
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1118  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 8:18 PM
sentinel's Avatar
sentinel sentinel is offline
Plenary pleasures.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Dang I preferred the previous design.
Really?? I think it looked weird, like some sort of ancient Egyptian mastaba:



https://www.architecture.org/news/ev...ential-center/

The current/final design is more refined, and not as fortress-like:

__________________
Don't be shy. Step into the light.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1119  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 8:55 PM
DanielG425 DanielG425 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Really?? I think it looked weird, like some sort of ancient Egyptian mastaba:

The current/final design is more refined, and not as fortress-like:

In the final design what is written out on the top left? Is it gibberish
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1120  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 9:45 PM
Busy Bee's Avatar
Busy Bee Busy Bee is online now
Leftist Correctist
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: on the artistic spectrum
Posts: 7,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielG425 View Post
In the final design what is written out on the top left? Is it gibberish
It's just filler gibberish in the rendering of course. It will likely be the Preamble to the Constitution or another such inscription of great national significance.
__________________
IF I HEAR THAT HUMIRA SONG ONE MORE TIME I'M GOING TO TRAVIS BICKLE MY TV
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:28 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.