HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Do you take your shoes off when you enter your abode?
Yes 97 94.17%
No 6 5.83%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 2:41 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
The no sock thing is definitely more prevalent now. I'm not a fan, especially since it's often used with the suit/sneaker combo.
I don't mind it with sneakers but a suit with no socks is probably too far for traditional ol' me.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 2:42 PM

Surely men are wearing "sockettes" rather than putting bare feet into leather footwear? That (bare feet) would be beyond gross!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Surely men are wearing "sockettes" rather than putting bare feet into leather footwear? That (bare feet) would be beyond gross!
Yes I would imagine. Nothing like walking around in soupy dress shoes once it gets hot out.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 11:50 PM
recession proof

We gotta be prepared for war. Shoes on all we gotta do is grab our shields, helmets and swords and we're ready to fend off those pesky reivers, Bolshevists and internet bots.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 2:09 AM
菠蘿油

Wow, how'd I miss this thread in 2009 and when it was revived again in 2019?

My experience in Canada is that virtually everyone takes their shoes off at home, although some people are a little loose about this in the summertime.

In Asia it goes without saying – no shoes indoors. When I was living in Hong Kong, even the guy who came to fix the air conditioner took his shoes off before coming inside the house, no questions asked. Same thing for the IKEA guys who came to install a ceiling-mounted wardrobe.

I'm not sure about Europe. In the Netherlands, I've been to people's apartments where they took their shoes off, but I've also been to people's apartments where they kept their shoes on. In southern countries like Italy and Spain it seems like people keep their shoes on all the time, maybe because they have tile floors and there's a bit more of an indoor-outdoor culture.

One thing I've noticed about the US is that, as with everything in America, whether you keep your shoes on or off at home has become a Big Deal. There are lots of people who keep their shoes off (and insist on the same for their guests) but they seem somewhat maligned as fussy and unaccommodating. I remember Hamilton Nolan at Gawker wrote a big rant about how awful it was to ask people to take their shoes off because feet are disgusting. But the thing is, if you wear your shoes every waking hour, of course your feet will be sweaty and gross. Keeping your shoes off at home lets them breathe. Any podiatrist will tell you it's better for foot health.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 5:23 AM
Meh

Definitely off, but...I have "house flip flops" that I wear. I'll wear them outside on the property, but never in public. I used to wear flip flops all over the place even on bike rides, but it's kind of gross especially in the summer. As soon as I get home, the socks and shoes come off and it's flip flops. And not on the furniture.

And I'll admit to skipping putting on socks when I'm running out quick for an errand as long as I know it won't take too long or that I won't be walking much, and that's really only in the winter. You can't really get away with that in Texas. And I wear ankle socks with my sneakers to stay cooler.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
One thing I've noticed about the US is that, as with everything in America, whether you keep your shoes on or off at home has become a Big Deal. There are lots of people who keep their shoes off (and insist on the same for their guests) but they seem somewhat maligned as fussy and unaccommodating. I remember Hamilton Nolan at Gawker wrote a big rant about how awful it was to ask people to take their shoes off because feet are disgusting. But the thing is, if you wear your shoes every waking hour, of course your feet will be sweaty and gross. Keeping your shoes off at home lets them breathe. Any podiatrist will tell you it's better for foot health.
Like all social ethics issues in the US, something like this will have lines drawn along Democratic and Republic lines.

But where will the two side end up. Despite not wearing shoes being the more conservative thing to do, I think I will go Democrats for removing shoes and Republicans for wearing shoes.

I for one like the idea of not wearing shoes. During these COVID times working from home I am finding my sneakers last longer. This may have a significant impact on the shoe making regions of the world.

Last edited by casper; Mar 12, 2021 at 2:45 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 1:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Like all social ethics issues in the US, something like this will have lines drawn Democratic and Republic lines.
I'm willing to bet Republicans wear their shoes in the house and Democrats don't.

I can see it now. Republican Billy-Bob from Alabama goes to visit his cousin Jerry in Boston. He walks into Jerry's condo, refuses to remove his muddy clod-hoppers, and a disagreement ensues, leading Billy-Bob to pump poor old Jerry full of lead with his conceal-carry permitted Glock handgun. Billy-Bob then proclaims it an act of self defence since Jerry was attempting to interfere with Billy-Bob's constitutional rights.

Yee-haw! God bless 'Murica!!!!!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I'm willing to bet Republicans wear their shoes in the house and Democrats don't.

I can see it now. Republican Billy-Bob from Alabama goes to visit his cousin Jerry in Boston. He walks into Jerry's condo, refuses to remove his muddy clod-hoppers, and a disagreement ensues, leading Billy-Bob to pump poor old Jerry full of lead with his conceal-carry permitted Glock handgun. Billy-Bob then proclaims it an act of self defence since Jerry was attempting to interfere with Billy-Bob's constitutional rights.

Yee-haw! God bless 'Murica!!!!!
wat

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 3:50 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Like all social ethics issues in the US, something like this will have lines drawn along Democratic and Republic lines.
I reckon on average, republicans have stinkier feet than democrats.

On the other hand, apparently Melania has never farted.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 4:01 PM
recession proof

Growing up we wore house shoes indoors. I remember visiting a Dutch family and it was the first time we had to take our shoes off. Nowadays I prefer barefoot indoors, but my mom still insists on wearing shoes indoors, from slippers to tennis shoes to loafers depending on the time of day - apparently it's the English tradition?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada