HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 3:20 PM
ハルウララ

NA sports are getting moderately more popular in Australia as well but they're still very niche.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 3:23 PM

I wonder why it's not more of a thing in the Philippines?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I wonder why it's not more of a thing in the Philippines?
Good point, especially given the cultural links between the US and Philippines. Basketball is their national obsession, sports-wise.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Good point, especially given the cultural links between the US and Philippines. Basketball is their national obsession, sports-wise.
My girlfriend is filipina and I can attest to that. Her friends and family are into basketball (people under 40... it tends to be different for people over 40). They are not into baseball and soccer at all. Some of them wore Blue Jays apparel back when they had a good team because it was the cool thing to do, but now not so much anymore. As for hockey, every time I tried to watch hockey with filipinos they've asked me to change it to basketball

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Interesting... Baseball doesn't have much of a following in those countries, but I see what they are trying to do. The Habs is by far the favourite team in the francophonie (but pretty much limited to Europe in the case of hockey) and the Montreal Impact is getting more attention in those countries than all the other teams, save perhaps the L.A. Galaxy and N.Y. Red Bulls. But that being said, soccer has a very solid foundation in the rest of the world, unlike baseball. Even hockey has a somewhat solid foundation in Europe. Baseball is practically non-existent outside North America, except in Japan.
They just had 2 Yankees/Red Sox games in London UK, and they did count towards the standings, so yes it appears that they are trying to expand their market.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/01/s...ntl/index.html

FWIW, the sport is played in the Netherlands as well... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseba...he_Netherlands

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 2:12 AM

Tampa-Montreal story won't go away. MLB Commissioner appears to support the idea.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays...-in-tampa-bay/

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 11:44 PM

So apparently officials from the Arizona Diamondbacks have been sniffing around Vancouver's BC Place twice in the last couple of years. Report just came out.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 5:36 PM

Jesus the Bucks have already clinched a playoff spot.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 5:52 PM

I am a bluejays fan but it would be nice to see Canada get another mlb team or two.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 6:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Jesus the Bucks have already clinched a playoff spot.
Wrong thread I think.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 9:39 PM
ハルウララ

Sportsnet has axed their live game radio coverage of the Jays - TV coverage will be simulcast over radio.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Sportsnet has axed their live game radio coverage of the Jays - TV coverage will be simulcast over radio.
Sounds good to me. Didn't really take to Ben Wagner, and Wilner is gone anyway. At least Dan Shulman is an experienced radio play by play guy and will be able to call the game in such a way that radio listeners won't be going "huh, what?". Still amazing how cheap Rogers is getting though.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 1:30 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Jays beat the Yankees 6-4 in a 7-inning outing today to kick off Spring Training. I caught the 30-minute highlights and the core players all looked good. Long road ahead of course but a promising start.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 5:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Does anyone under 60 watch or follow baseball? Dullard sport!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Does anyone under 60 watch or follow baseball? Dullard sport!
Dullard comment.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 5:07 PM

The West Coast League has expanded to Kamloops with the 'Kamloops NorthPaws'. Stoked to catch some games this season. They'll be playing out of Norbrock Stadium.

Norbrock, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 5:58 PM

Nice ballpark!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 5:49 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

New Brunswick-born pitcher Rhéal Cormier died of cancer earlier this week.

Quote:
Former Canadian major league pitcher Rhéal Cormier, 53, dies of cancer

Canadian pitcher Rhéal Cormier, who spent 16 years in the major leagues, died Monday after a battle with cancer.

The native of Moncton, N.B. was 53. The Philadelphia Phillies, one of Cormier's former teams, confirmed his passing.

"We are saddened to learn of the passing of former relief pitcher Rheal Cormier after a courageous battle with cancer," the club tweeted.

The Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame says Cormier ranks second all-time for games pitched by a Canadian with 683.

"I am shocked and saddened to learn of Rheal's passing," said Baseball Canada president Jason Dickson. "He was a tremendous pitcher and competitor who represented our country on the biggest stage. Above all, Rheal was a great person and family man who will be dearly missed."

A sixth-round pick by the St. Louis in 1988, Cormier broke into the big leagues with the Cardinals three years later. After being traded to Boston (1995), Cormier was shipped to the Montreal Expos in 1996.

Cormier spent two years with Montreal before finishing his major-league career with Boston (1999-2000), Philadelphia (2001-06) and Cincinnati (2006-07). For his career, Cormier was 71-64 with a 4.03 earned-run average.

Cormier's best year was 2003 with Philadelphia when he was 8-0 as a reliever with a 1.70 ERA. According to the Phillies, that was the second-lowest among relievers and sixth-lowest by any club reliever in the modern era (since 1900).

Cormier made 84 appearances the following season, the most ever by a left-handed Philadelphia pitcher. The franchise said in a statement it was also the second-most among any pitcher and remains the most logged in a year by a Phillies player in the last 33 seasons.
Read more: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/m...ncer-1.5941505

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 3:43 AM

More on the Tampa-Montreal Rays sister city concept coming up again. Tampa is puttting a Montreal sign up in their stadium for the playoffs. Still don't see how this works, but interested to hear more.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article...stody-reports/

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 4:01 AM

I badly want the spos' back but I hate this shared team concept. Hopefully they're just easing their way into moving the team permanently. Sucks for Tampa fans though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada