HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Seems a lot of the equipment including the CAT 390F excavator have been sitting idle for weeks.
Typical of how DTIR builds roads.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 2:36 PM

If they don't have any other jobs where that equipment is needed, there would be no need to move it, so basically store it there until work starts up again where it's needed.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 4:48 PM

I am old enough to remember traveling through the USA in the 1960s when the Interstate highway system was being built and also witnessing major upgrade projects to other roads there. What I saw bears no relation to anything I have ever seen here. There, I saw armies of workers and fleets of heavy equipment working diligently every day. Here there may be 4 or 5 machines working and a small number of workers doing a small stretch. I have never understood it.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I am old enough to remember traveling through the USA in the 1960s when the Interstate highway system was being built and also witnessing major upgrade projects to other roads there. What I saw bears no relation to anything I have ever seen here. There, I saw armies of workers and fleets of heavy equipment working diligently every day. Here there may be 4 or 5 machines working and a small number of workers doing a small stretch. I have never understood it.
Maybe that was because the interstate highway project in the US was a federal project with perceived military benefits?

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/interstate/interstatemyths.cfm

I don't know if I'm right on this, but my impression is that it was considered a necessity in the US, so the priority was high to complete it ASAP.

I would be curious as to how it would compare to similar construction in current times...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Maybe that was because the interstate highway project in the US was a federal project with perceived military benefits?

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/interstate/interstatemyths.cfm

I don't know if I'm right on this, but my impression is that it was considered a necessity in the US, so the priority was high to complete it ASAP.

I would be curious as to how it would compare to similar construction in current times...
Eisenhower hated the NAZI's but he greatly admired the Autobahns that Hilter had built in the thirties. And yes Eisenhower built the American equivalent system for military reasons that corporate America then used to get Nova Scotians California grown produce. Win, Win, Win!! I have driven most of 95.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 1:03 PM
Your SSP Comical Relief

Is this project dead in the water now?
Disclaimer: Most of it is pure pie in the sky, so there's no need to be up in the arms about it <unless you own properties along Whiteshell (MB) - Shabaqua Corners and/or Sault Sainte Marie - Renfrew Corridor(s)>.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Is this project dead in the water now?
Quite the contrary. Lots of excavation and roadbed built in from the top of Akerly Dr. Overpass is almost completed at that end as well. Clearing and some excavation done from the end of Burnside drive towards the new extension.

Last edited by hoser111; Oct 3, 2020 at 3:04 PM. Reason: added info

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 3:27 PM
Your SSP Comical Relief

Interesting. Thanks. I just thought it was dead since nobody’s been talking about it.
Disclaimer: Most of it is pure pie in the sky, so there's no need to be up in the arms about it <unless you own properties along Whiteshell (MB) - Shabaqua Corners and/or Sault Sainte Marie - Renfrew Corridor(s)>.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 7:47 PM

Not a great shot - back in July. Inbound on Akerley just heading into the S turn.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 2:26 AM

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 12:27 AM
Your SSP Comical Relief

I just looked at https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...90293&page=437 #8740 again. Is Bedford Bypass supposed to be opened up for development after Burnside Connector's tied in???

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 12:36 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Is Bedford Bypass supposed to be opened up for development after Burnside Connector's tied in???
What do you mean? It would be converted from controlled access to an artery with some streets connecting to it?

I'm not against highway development but one thing I notice around metro Halifax is how the highways have very low connectivity with huge gaps between exits and encourage low densities and large travel distances by cutting everything up. There is a lot of new development land around the 107 but it looks like more "pods" that will be weakly connected to other areas. I think the municipality should focus not just on urban infill but suburban infill in the future to improve land use, and part of that will be improving connectivity and raising densities to support more than just driving.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 12:43 AM
Your SSP Comical Relief

What does TIR mean then? I saw 2 lots with that label on the NE side of Bedford Bypass. I think I also saw "Residential Developers Road"?? The font's too small for my eyes.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 1:08 AM

Quote:
What does TIR mean then?
Nova Scotia Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 1:21 AM
Your SSP Comical Relief

Okay now it gets me wondering. Is it possible for Burnside Connector to change "terminus" on the west side? That's the idea that swimmer_spe got hung up on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe
NSDOT has the habit of doing it wrong the first time then correcting it later.
So it goes like this:
(1) Redo 101, 102 and Bedford Bypass area;
(2) Widen 101 - Bedford Bypass to 6 lanes between Lower Sackville and Bedford;
(3) Tie Burnside Connector to the now widened Bedford Bypass;
(4) Scratch the current western terminus.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 2:05 PM

Looks like the tender has been issued to start the Bedford/Sackville section:

Quote:
RFC - CLEARING, ONE PROJECT IN HALIFAX COUNTY - HIGHWAY 107 SACKVILLE BEDFORD BURNSIDE CONNECTOR, ROCKY LAKE TO HWY 102 (PROJECT NO. 2020-225)

https://procurement.novascotia.ca/te...d=DOC581958976

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 1:16 AM

This photo was taken from where Highway 107 WB turns currently turns into Akerley Blvd. The overpass will be Akerley Blvd and will include the eastern on/off ramps for Highway 107 into Burnside. This interchange will be open well before the rest of the highway. This is so Wilkinson Avenue can be connected to the highway network and Halifax can start developing the Burnside Phase 13 & 14 expansion lands to the north. According to a Memoradum of Understanding between HRM and NSTIR this interchange was due to open by the end of 2020. The current deadline is probably the end of the 2021 construction season.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

- DJ

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
This photo was taken from where Highway 107 WB turns currently turns into Akerley Blvd. The overpass will be Akerley Blvd and will include the eastern on/off ramps for Highway 107 into Burnside. This interchange will be open well before the rest of the highway. This is so Wilkinson Avenue can be connected to the highway network and Halifax can start developing the Burnside Phase 13 & 14 expansion lands to the north.
It appears TIR and HRM continue their infatuation (or maybe it's enduring love by now) with roundabouts. If I'm reading the MOU correctly, Wilkinson will connect at a roundabout somewhere to the left of the overpass in your photo, correct?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 1:54 PM
Your SSP Comical Relief

It seems that T.I.R. needs to blast rocks. Once rock blasting is needed, one may as well go big and blast a bit more to make roundabouts.
(Someone in the road industry taught me that once crews need to be sent to blast rocks, the amount of rocks to be blasted simply becomes a problem of economy of scale.)

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
It appears TIR and HRM continue their infatuation (or maybe it's enduring love by now) with roundabouts. If I'm reading the MOU correctly, Wilkinson will connect at a roundabout somewhere to the left of the overpass in your photo, correct?
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...&postcount=182

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure