HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 4:50 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Pa. state university system ready to sell its Harrisburg headquarters
https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/1...gn=pennlive_sf
That's a cool campus - it will be interesting to see who takes it. When I worked in Pennsylvania, Bloomsburg University was our largest client, in terms of contract fees. I don't know how they are doing right now, but BU seemed to be front-of-the-pack in the PASSHE school system.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
That's a cool campus - it will be interesting to see who takes it. When I worked in Pennsylvania, Bloomsburg University was our largest client, in terms of contract fees. I don't know how they are doing right now, but BU seemed to be front-of-the-pack in the PASSHE school system.
Bloomsburg is still in the upper-half of the PASSHE system, but the university is being merged with Lock Haven and Mansfield. It seems the latter two schools will become more or less branch campuses of Bloom, but the plan right now is for both Lock Haven and Mansfield to retain their names. Additionally, Edinboro and Clarion are being merged with California of PA. The planned mergers are supposed to be finalized June/July 2021.

West Chester though is by far the leader of the pack, which is painful for me to say as I graduated from Millersville. Not sure how long ago you worked with PASSHE or its individual university's, but the system overall is in disarray, although so is higher education in general. It should be noted most of PASSHE's problems pre-date COVID-19 and have only been exacerbated by the uncertainty and loss of revenue created by the virus. Public higher education in Pennsylvania needs to be overhauled and Temple, Penn State, Pitt, Lincoln and all of their branch campuses have to be included in the PASSHE redesign conversation, which is not happening at the moment. The issue is there are simply too many state-related/public universities/private colleges in Pennsylvania for the amount of high school graduates the state produces, which is slowly declining and expected to do so for decades to come. The main impediment to wholesale change is many of the state-related branch campuses and PASSHE schools are located in small rural communities, where they are the sole economic engines. Unfortunately, if the state or say Penn State or Pitt were to close any schools, it would devastate or further ravage places like Mansfield, Johnstown, Bradford, Du Bois, Clarion etc.

It is a delicate dance no doubt and as an alumnus of a PASSHE school, I am going to follow the outcome of the Bloom, Lock Haven, Mansfield/Cal U of PA, Edinboro, and Clarion mergers closely.

As for PASSHE's campus, it would be nice to see a developer turn the site into a mixed use development. An apartment or condo building facing N. Front Street would be nice, but I am not sure how large the underground parking garage is and how difficult it would be to construct an overbuild . All of the existing buildings date back to at least the early 1900s and are in good shape. I would hate to see any of them demolished. Perhaps, they could be renovated for commercial office space or converted to apartments? The campus is conveniently located to I-81 and downtown so it should be attractive to developers. Hopefully, the site does not sit vacant for too long.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 2:18 PM
somewhere in-between

^ Thanks for the background / insight. I moved from PA to MI in 2015, so it has been 5+ years since working with PASSHE.

Quote:
Eight apartments coming to Uptown Harrisburg, TLC Construction providing much needed housing
Maddie Conley Gittens | The Burg
November 24, 2020

On Tuesday night, City Council approved a land development plan for the consolidation of three vacant lots on Kelker Street and the construction of eight residential apartments submitted by Tarik Casteel of TLC Construction & Renovations... The apartment building will sit at 440 Kelker St., near other TLC projects including The Harrisburg Uptown Building (HUB) and HUB Veterans Housing... The three-story building will contain four one-bedroom apartments, about 900 square feet each, and four two-bedroom apartments, about 1,200 square feet each...

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mville1 View Post
... PASSHE or its individual university's, but the system overall is in disarray, although so is higher education in general.... Public higher education in Pennsylvania needs to be overhauled and Temple, Penn State, Pitt, Lincoln and all of their branch campuses have to be included in the PASSHE redesign conversation, which is not happening at the moment.
I'm not sure why the Commonwealth universities would want to be involved in any way, shape, or form in the mess that is PASSHE. How would they be involved? I mean, they're basically private universities.

Quote:
The issue is there are simply too many state-related/public universities/private colleges in Pennsylvania for the amount of high school graduates the state produces, which is slowly declining and expected to do so for decades to come.
That's the major issue that has uncovered all of the problems with the state school system. The numbers were no longer working to pay for all the unbelievable waste. The schools have only itself to blame. They enjoyed being fat and lazy for a long time.

The state schools were so gigantically bloated beyond belief with programs, faculty, and staff that were so out of line with the student population, in terms of numbers of students enrolled at the school and the actual demand for programs offered.

At some of the consolidating campuses, there were/are undergrad and grad programs that have had fully-staffed departments for more than a decade that have graduated less than 10 students. WTF?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I'm not sure why the Commonwealth universities would want to be involved in any way, shape, or form in the mess that is PASSHE. How would they be involved? I mean, they're basically private universities.

That's the major issue that has uncovered all of the problems with the state school system. The numbers were no longer working to pay for all the unbelievable waste. The schools have only itself to blame. They enjoyed being fat and lazy for a long time.

The state schools were so gigantically bloated beyond belief with programs, faculty, and staff that were so out of line with the student population, in terms of numbers of students enrolled at the school and the actual demand for programs offered.

At some of the consolidating campuses, there were/are undergrad and grad programs that have had fully-staffed departments for more than a decade that have graduated less than 10 students. WTF?

We are straying away from discussing Harrisburg related real estate development, but.....all of the PASSHE schools and the state related (Commonwealth) universities are facing the same issue...a declining number of high school graduates not just from within Pennsylvania, but from many of the surrounding states these universities draw students from as well. Of course, the state cannot compel the Commonwealth universities to institute any changes or require their involvement in the PASSHE redesign. I am suggesting the prudent thing to do would be for the state legislature, either through an existing committee or the through the creation of a new committee, to invite representatives from PASSHE’s board of governors and the state-related universities and address how this decline will impact access to affordable public higher education in the state. Because I suspect the impending PASSHE mergers are just the start and consolidation is not necessarily a bad outcome. I just worry the rate of consolidation will happen too rapidly (all within the next ten years), which may push more PA students out-of-state or to private schools (at least in the short term) with the uncertainty surrounding mergers or closures. This is why I think Pennsylvania needs a holistic approach and not a piecemeal one to the right-sizing of the state's publicly funded university systems.

As for my recommendation for including the Commonwealth universities into this discussion, they are not immune from the same demographic trends as PASSHE. For instance, while Pitt and Penn State’s main campuses have weathered the decline of high school graduates quite well so far (because of their national/international brand recognition, strong and diverse academic program offerings and research opportunities); their branch campuses have suffered just as dramatic of an enrollment decline as PASSHE. Take Penn State for example (excluding Penn State Hershey, Penn College, and Penn State Dickinson Law could not locate numbers for same timespan for Penn State Hershey, Dickinson or Penn College, but PC has seen enrollment decreases from over 5,400 in 2017 to 4,600 in 2020) out of the 20 remaining campuses, 16 saw enrollment decreases during the 2010-2019 timespan. 12 experienced decreases of greater than 30%! Penn State Hazelton saw enrollment drop 52%! Only Cheyney from PASSHE saw a greater decline in enrollment during those years. Now only a small percentage of Penn State’s, Pitt’s and Temple’s budgets are supported by state appropriations, but one has to wonder how much of Penn State’s $242.1 million in state appropriations for fiscal year 2020-21 is going to subsidize financially struggling branch campuses, which in one case enrolls 439 students (Penn State Greater Allegheny)? For example, over $24 million out of Penn State’s original $242.1 million in state appropriations was sent to Penn College alone.

Source: https://www.inquirer.com/business/st...-20191127.html

I suspect in the next 2-5 years Penn State will start to close and consolidate some of their branch campuses following a larger trend of nationwide closures and mergers in higher education.

To your second point, every PASSHE school, with the exception of West Chester and maybe Slippery Rock, has been financially mismanaged for decades perhaps even criminally so in the case of Cheyney, but Pennsylvania actually lags behind the majority of the nation when it comes to higher education funding. I believe this was even the case before the notorious Corbett cuts. In any event, the state needed to hold PASSHE accountable for its financial waste and it has. Unfortunately, the legislature stepped in about 10 years too late because in the meantime PASSHE raised their tuition rates to close budget gaps and lost students and the affordability argument against their competitors i.e. Penn State, Pitt, and Temple along the way. Now Pennsylvania is in a financial situation, where they are unable to increase funding substantially for higher education.

Other contributing issues to PASSHE’s decline, as you alluded to, were status quo minded administrations, a bureaucratic system that took years to approve new academic programs or to place others in moratorium, a fixation over the last 15 years on constructing unnecessary new facilities (looking at you IUP), changing the tuition model to a per-credit hour system (IUP, MU, etc.), and unions (ASCUF) resistant to change.

In other words, failures have occurred at every level and without a comprehensive approach moving forward involving the state legislature, the Commonwealth universities, and PASSHE, access to affordable higher education in Pennsylvania will dwindle much to the detriment of the state’s low-income students and families.

Last edited by mville1; Dec 2, 2020 at 12:00 AM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 1:39 AM

Another small scale residential project announced, this time in the Midtown neighborhood.

New condominiums ‘The Lofts’ planned for Harrisburg

By Daniel Urie

Quote:
“The Lofts” will consists of approximately 16 units -- a mix of one bedroom, two bedroom and efficiency condominiums ranging from 650 to 1,100 square feet in space. Integrated Development Partners plans to keep the parking lot across the street, which would include designated, private parking spaces. And a 1,500-square-foot brick building on the lot across the street would probably be converted to a fitness center or be used for storage for the residents.

Integrated Development Partners has a contract on the 18,500-square-foot building pending site plan approval, which the company hopes to begin next month. The company hopes to complete the project by early 2022.
https://www.pennlive.com/life/2020/1...arrisburg.html

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 4:00 PM

I missed this article from last month about Harrisburg University's new academic building. Judging by the photos, the new building looks to be in the 190ft-210ft range, which for an 11-story building is impressive. The design is tweaked slightly from the original renders that were released to the public. Looks like the architects broke up the façade color scheme by adding brick paneling???? And it appears there are additional setbacks toward the top of the building. Still not crazy about the design, but it should provide a nice shot in the arm to downtown and increase street level activity in the immediate vicinity.

If someone can pull the photos from the article, it would be greatly appreciated.

Harrisburg University to hold pre-bid meeting for building contractors

by Lawrance Binda | the Burg

Quote:
The university cleared the site last year, but the work on the building itself has not yet begun. According to HU, completion is expected in 2023.
https://theburgnews.com/news/harrisb...ng-contractors

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 5:53 PM
Me?!?

Harrisburg forecast to be among top 10 housing markets for 2021
https://www.phillyvoice.com/harrisbu...ia-home-sales/

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 4:05 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
If someone can pull the photos from the article, it would be greatly appreciated.
Here they are. Not very hi-res, unfortunately (or maybe fortunately). Why, after so long, does this thing still look look it was conceived by a 13-year-old with Sketchup?

Source: The Burg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Harrisburg forecast to be among top 10 housing markets for 2021
https://www.phillyvoice.com/harrisbu...ia-home-sales/
It's been such an interesting & weird year for real estate. We're refinancing right now, like so many others. Our interest rate really wasn't that high - originally at 4.625% when we closed on our home in August 2018. Without even changing lenders (read: without really trying / shopping around), we are now locked in with a new interest rate of 2.75% and I'm sure that could easily be lower if we switched lenders. And we've only owned our house for a little over two years.

Anyway, that's a very "west coast-dominated" list - Harrisburg and Charlotte are the only things not in the Pacific or Mountain time zones? I'm skeptical of that (and any list like this), and think that it is only useful to give you a relative sense of trends. I feel like there are some things that might be skewing the data toward California cities. According to the originator of this ranking (realtor.com) -

Quote:
Ranking is based on the combined yearly percentage growth in both home sales and prices expected in 2021 among the top 100 largest markets in the country per realtor.com’s metro level housing forecast. In cases of a tie, Sales Growth y/y was used as a tiebreaker.
Case in point about how relative these rankings can seem - a quick Google search of the largest nationally-recognized metro near my home town (Grand Rapids, MI) - yields this result as the number one search result when I type in "grand rapids michigan housing market ranking" -

Quote:
Grand Rapids is the fastest growing community in Michigan. The Grand Rapids metro area ranked second on a list of 10 housing markets nationwide that are “poised for takeoff,” according to a new study by Trulia. The main factors were the affordability, employment growth and low vacancy rates.
Source: Norada Real Estate Investments

Now granted, that is from 2019, but things are still very "hot" on the West side of Michigan. Anyway, I'm not trying to start a comparison war or anything like that, I just think these lists always need to be taken with a few grains of salt.

Last edited by deja vu; Dec 31, 2020 at 4:23 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 7:20 PM

I just found this Harrisburg Development Thread the other day! I had no idea it existed. Decided to take some pictures of the projects in Harrisburg to provide some updates.

All of these photos were taken on my phone on Saturday 1/2/2021.

Harrisburg University Tower
I think this one if officially UC since it looks like they're doing caisson work.

Federal Courthouse

PA State Archives Building

Members 1st Federal Credit Union HQ
This one isn't in Harrisburg, but is a decent sized project so thought other may be interested. It's located in Hampden Marketplace right of I81 in Hampden Twp.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 7:29 PM

Also, did anyone else see this? Would be very cool if this actually happened!

https://theburgnews.com/news/harrisb...eries-building

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 7:58 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCentralPA View Post
Also, did anyone else see this? Would be very cool if this actually happened!

https://theburgnews.com/news/harrisb...eries-building
No I didn't see this yet - that's a cool little building. Thanks for sharing. And thanks for the photo updates! This thread was long overdue for a real photo update & it's much appreciated! The courthouse project is impressive.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by deja vu; Jan 3, 2021 at 9:12 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 11:51 PM

Quote:
No I didn't see this yet - that's a cool little building. Thanks for sharing. And thanks for the photo updates! This thread was long overdue for a real photo update & it's much appreciated! The courthouse project is impressive.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the welcome and I'm glad you appreciate the updates! I had been lurking on various threads for awhile but once I saw this Harrisburg one, I figured I needed to create an account so I could contribute. I'll try and provide periodic updates of projects throughout Harrisburg!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome and I'm glad you appreciate the updates! I had been lurking on various threads for awhile but once I saw this Harrisburg one, I figured I needed to create an account so I could contribute. I'll try and provide periodic updates of projects throughout Harrisburg!
Welcome to SSP and thank you for the updates! I do not make it up to Harrisburg that often, especially since Covid 19 hit, so it is nice to see some photos of the progress. And here is a link to what the new PA state archives building will look like.

http://www.vartangroup.com/property/...tate-archives/

Anybody know what the state plans on doing with the old archives building? I am not the biggest fan of brutalist architecture so my feelings would not be hurt if the state chose to take a wrecking ball to it.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Welcome to SSP and thank you for the updates! I do not make it up to Harrisburg that often, especially since Covid 19 hit, so it is nice to see some photos of the progress. And here is a link to what the new PA state archives building will look like.

http://www.vartangroup.com/property/...tate-archives/

Anybody know what the state plans on doing with the old archives building? I am not the biggest fan of brutalist architecture so my feelings would not be hurt if the state chose to take a wrecking ball to it.
Thanks for the welcome! I was expecting the archives building to be taller, but oh well, it's better than the empty lot that was there before.

Also, it's funny, I used to work in Lancaster but don't anymore so I'm not up-to-date anymore with the different projects going on there. Doesn't look like there is a development thread for Lancaster though unfortunately.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 11:03 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome! I was expecting the archives building to be taller, but oh well, it's better than the empty lot that was there before.

Also, it's funny, I used to work in Lancaster but don't anymore so I'm not up-to-date anymore with the different projects going on there. Doesn't look like there is a development thread for Lancaster though unfortunately.
Technically no, not a dedicated thread for Lancaster, per se, but have you found & subscribed to these SSP threads yet? Sometimes they can be buried and hard to find.

LANCASTER, PA | The Mosaic @ W Vine and S Queen | 244 FT | 20 FLOORS

General Pennsylvania Cities P&C

PHILADELPHIA-CAMDEN-WILMINGTON-ATLANTIC CITY-READING | Metro Developments Thread

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Technically no, not a dedicated thread for Lancaster, per se, but have you found & subscribed to these SSP threads yet? Sometimes they can be buried and hard to find.
Good to know. Thanks for sharing! The Mosaic would be awesome for Lancaster.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 1:08 AM

Would it make sense to - and would you guys want to - make this the:

Harrisburg-Lancaster-Lebanon-York | Metro Development Thread

??

I feel like it would make sense to do one for the entire South Central/Mid State region, since it’s a bunch of small cities/towns. This may generate more traffic for this thread as well.

It helped combining all of the Philadelphia area small cities towns into one thread as well. Let me know what you guys think!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 1:36 AM

Quote:

LANCASTER, PA | The Mosaic @ W Vine and S Queen | 244 FT | 20 FLOORS

General Pennsylvania Cities P&C

PHILADELPHIA-CAMDEN-WILMINGTON-ATLANTIC CITY-READING | Metro Developments Thread
Here is the link to Berger's proposal for the lot at N Queen and W Chestnut in Lancaster as well. I have not heard any news about this project since it was first announced in August. If both this proposal and the Mosaic are built, it would really transform downtown Lancaster.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=243585

As for changing the Harrisburg thread into the Harrisburg-York-Lebanon-Lancaster thread, I would support the change. Actually, there is probably enough development activity in the Harrisburg area to warrant a dedicated thread, but because many of Harrisburg's posters have gone inactive over the years, it makes sense to roll all these cities into one thread.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 1:48 AM

Quote:
As for changing the Harrisburg thread into the Harrisburg-York-Lebanon-Lancaster thread, I would support the change. Actually, there is probably enough development activity in the Harrisburg area to warrant a dedicated thread, but because many of Harrisburg's posters have gone inactive over the years, it makes sense to roll all these cities into one thread.
That's what I was thinking. For instance, there was/is enough development and activity in the Wilmington area to warrant it's own thread, but it just made sense to fold it in with the Philadelphia Metro PA and NJ counties as one big thread.

Everyone else OK with making one overarching thread for the South Central, PA region?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations