HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 8:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
i dont really see why there is any pressure to demolish the pump house. There are many many empty lots that can be developed before this one has to go. How about the massive parking lots near the ballpark, or the giant one on Bannatyne....there are so many empty spaces to develop, why is this one burning a hole in our pocket.....If we are worried about how waterfront drive looks, why not start with the green garbage can factory next door, or the tin shed with the floor hockey rink in it?....

I say board it up and save it for the next generation...hopefully the economics will change one day....once its gone its gone...what's the rush.

Well, I see you have now taken the position I took at City Hall during the opposition to the project in January when it's passing and appeal period was fast tracked during a sno

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 8:40 AM

Quote:
i dont really see why there is any pressure to demolish the pump house. There are many many empty lots that can be developed before this one has to go. How about the massive parking lots near the ballpark, or the giant one on Bannatyne....there are so many empty spaces to develop, why is this one burning a hole in our pocket.....If we are worried about how waterfront drive looks, why not start with the green garbage can factory next door, or the tin shed with the floor hockey rink in it?....

I say board it up and save it for the next generation...hopefully the economics will change one day....once its gone its gone...what's the rush.
Well, I see you have now taken the position I took (practically verbatim) at City Hall during the opposition to the project in January when it's passing and appeal period was fast tracked during a snow storm! I'm flattered!

You were quite vocal to drop 24 floors on top of the pumphouse at that time.

There are all kinds of interesting things about to happen in the area.

I was checked into the Mere again for the last three nights and it was great! It has changed everything for the best! There are people from all over the world staying there having a great time in the East Exchange!

This is a huge win for the community that opposed it and the city.

Build two twenty story residential towers next to museum in their parking lot.

Not that would make an impact!

As for your comment about the green building and metal shed I have to disagree.

Walk by during the day when the doors are open, now that's history! Giant machines imported from England and Germany working and pressing tin. That is real business with real employees working on really old machines.
Your tin building again has been there for 5O years. It's an indoor sports facility.

This adds to the fabric of the area. There are hundreds of people still working in these buildings and feeding their children. This area in not about everyone wearing black!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 1:31 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
This adds to the fabric of the area. There are hundreds of people still working in these buildings and feeding their children. This area in not about everyone wearing black!
Well put. Why would anyone say such a thing about a business that is such a going concern?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 8:22 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Well, I see you have now taken the position I took (practically verbatim) at City Hall during the opposition to the project in January when it's passing and appeal period was fast tracked during a snow storm! I'm flattered!

You were quite vocal to drop 24 floors on top of the pumphouse at that time.

There are all kinds of interesting things about to happen in the area.

I was checked into the Mere again for the last three nights and it was great! It has changed everything for the best! There are people from all over the world staying there having a great time in the East Exchange!

This is a huge win for the community that opposed it and the city.

Build two twenty story residential towers next to museum in their parking lot.

Not that would make an impact!

As for your comment about the green building and metal shed I have to disagree.

Walk by during the day when the doors are open, now that's history! Giant machines imported from England and Germany working and pressing tin. That is real business with real employees working on really old machines.
Your tin building again has been there for 5O years. It's an indoor sports facility.

I actually agree about the green building...its awesome to have that there...its what a mixed use neighbourhood is.....I'd love to see housing perched on top....I was speaking as a regular person who wouldn't see the beauty in it and might be in favour of demolishing the pumphouse for the same reason.

should clarify...I support the pump house project that was proposed...100%...it would have been awesome....we are no longer choosing between it and boarding it up...we are choosing between demolition and boarding it up....different choice....I still maintain that the proposal was excellent....I'm very sad to see it go....it would have been an amazing addition to the neighbourhood.

for the record, I've also heard its dead....from a good source.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:

Centre Venture strikes again!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 11:12 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

more like construction costs

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 6:16 AM

Quote:
I actually agree about the green building...its awesome to have that there...its what a mixed use neighbourhood is.....I'd love to see housing perched on top....I was speaking as a regular person who wouldn't see the beauty in it and might be in favour of demolishing the pumphouse for the same reason.

should clarify...I support the pump house project that was proposed...100%...it would have been awesome....we are no longer choosing between it and boarding it up...we are choosing between demolition and boarding it up....different choice....I still maintain that the proposal was excellent....I'm very sad to see it go....it would have been an amazing addition to the neighbourhood.

Why not just view the pump house for now as we would the power substation on Lily? Landscape around it, paint out he windows and repair the roof.
No one is tearing it down today and it is not costing anyone anything.

I hope this time City Hall and CV listens to the community and those on Waterfront and South Point Douglas.

I did not notice how the engineering study proposed to deal with the street scape around the PH but perhaps it could be dealt with prior to the final report being released to reflect more public space now that the tower is dead.

As I mentioned there are lots of great sites in this area to drop 20 stories. I am not opposed to height in the area just not on that particular spot.

On a different note, could someone tell me how to add a picture to the post?

I would like to share some images.

Thanks

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 1:59 PM

I've always been in favour of height in this location, since the day I moved next door. It's a dead spot right now (like the substation, but at least the substation has a purpose). Some population density/critical mass at Waterfront and James would be wonderful.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
I've always been in favour of height in this location, since the day I moved next door. It's a dead spot right now (like the substation, but at least the substation has a purpose). Some population density/critical mass at Waterfront and James would be wonderful.
Agreed it is a dead spot, but sprucing it up a bit with some paint and landscaping for now would at least look a lot better. Maybe more of a cost effective location for a highrise like this would be half a block west as a part of the off again/on again parkade?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 6:39 PM

Quote:

So the plan is? As mentioned sometime earlier A poster specified a Farmers Market?
Is this rumor correct? I'll understand if you haven't heard about it as of yet.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
So the plan is? As mentioned sometime earlier A poster specified a Farmers Market?
Is this rumor correct? I'll understand if you haven't heard about it as of yet.

Yeah I've been back here just about daily looking for updates. This sucks. A crew did come out late last week and mow the grass and tear out an overgrown lilac bush - but they couldn't be bothered to take away the branches. Or remove the shopping cart full of cans.

Even something as simple as planting sod on the front approach would make a huge difference to the way it looks now - and when did they paint over the graffiti dog portraits?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portmanteau View Post
Yeah I've been back here just about daily looking for updates. This sucks. A crew did come out late last week and mow the grass and tear out an overgrown lilac bush - but they couldn't be bothered to take away the branches. Or remove the shopping cart full of cans.

Even something as simple as planting sod on the front approach would make a huge difference to the way it looks now - and when did they paint over the graffiti dog portraits?
Yeah, I was curious as well. We heard aprx: a week ago from Labraco the project was dead and an announcement was forthcoming within a day or 2?

I hope some minor, while were waiting for an announcement fixes, could be made to the property. Haven't passed by the site in a while so no idea when the graffiti dog was removed. Someone will know.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 7:10 PM

So - over a month later an still no intel on this? Anyone have new details?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 7:24 PM

Quote:

Hopeing something of a smaller scale will take it's place. It may be a while and a long wait before we see something in the future.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 8:40 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:

Cancelled
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 4:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Cancelled
Good. Can we delete thread now along with. Pie in the Sky City?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Good. Can we delete thread now along with. Pie in the Sky City?
If it's been verified as cancelled, It probablly should be listed as such in the thread title.

Seems like Pie in the Sky has been removed as you suggested.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Seems like Pie in the Sky has been removed as you suggested.
What happened to the Sky City thread? Even if the project never actually materializes, there was a fair bit of interesting discussion regarding various aspects of the project.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
What happened to the Sky City thread? Even if the project never actually materializes, there was a fair bit of interesting discussion regarding various aspects of the project.
I agree. Even though it was a speculative and controversial it was informative. I can understand it needed Moderation but it is a shame all 500+ posts were removed. Who knows if it will return in some form or another.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 5:30 PM

They removed they SkyCity thread?! What a bunch of hosers! Talk about censorship, my god. Clearly rubbed some people the wrong way down east.

I guess the truth was hurting Fortress and their chances. These threads tend to come up towards the top of a google search most times. Still comes up on page 2 of my Google search. But with no access. They should block the rest of the internet if they're worried about the SkyCity thread. A lot worse things out there about Jawad and Vince.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan