HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 7:17 AM

The lower wash was on tonight - it's more subtle than I'd envisioned, but I think I like it. My two favorite lighting schemes so far are the dancers and the ocean waves.

North Beach - 060118 - 07 - View of Salesforce Tower and Transamerica Pyramid by Stan-the-Rocker, on Flickr

North Beach - 060118 - 06 - View of Salesforce Tower and Transamerica Pyramid by Stan-the-Rocker, on Flickr

North Beach - 060118 - 03 - View of Salesforce Tower, Transamerica Pyramid, and Saints Peter and Paul Church by Stan-the-Rocker, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 10:54 AM

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
You are almost never impressed by anything not your own idea. Furniture like this is available at low cost or high cost depending on quality. I suspect Benioff didn't go low quality. It's not my taste but it's functional, just like the mid-century modern style it resembles.
I would suspect its not low quality either. Functional indeed. The carpet is quite peculiar. Not sure the rigidity of the design is fitting the organic materials it is meant to imitate. intriguing concept. Feels like the skin of ground in a Nintendo 64 game. But hey, i guess it works.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 7:41 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorQuinbee View Post
I would suspect its not low quality either. Functional indeed. The carpet is quite peculiar. Not sure the rigidity of the design is fitting the organic materials it is meant to imitate. intriguing concept. Feels like the skin of ground in a Nintendo 64 game. But hey, i guess it works.
Perhaps you could say it is a link to the past?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 6:47 AM
Build Baby Build

He did say Nintendo 64 in his comment, but the carpets in SF Tower actually do look like A Link to the Past to me, more than any N64 game.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 8:34 AM

Light Show - Salesforce and 181 Fremont Street

I can see both Salesforce & 181 Fremont from my apartment (they are about 1-1/2 miles away). I notice tonight that 181 Fremont has a light show of sorts for awhile (maybe a short in the wiring?). White lights were dancing up & down vertically. it reminded me of the graph on my stereo that shows the volume levels.

When I heard that Jim Campbell would be the engineer who would install the lights atop the Salesforce building I was concerned that it would not be interesting and so far I am correct. What I see every night are clouds on a blue background, an image of a woman prancing about like a stripper and images from the camera at ground level showing people walking on the street. Not original stuff. I think the tallest building in San Francisco deserves better. Maybe something artistic will appear at a later date. I wonder what kind of contract Salesforce has with the "artist"?

Lights Atop the Salesforce Building & 181 Fremont Street - San Francisco

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 6:20 PM

^ I agree. Got bored of it after a few weeks.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 4:27 PM

There was supposed to be a starry sky design and a few others that I haven't seen. It was supposed to also reflect the sunset colors.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 9:41 PM

I wonder when Google Maps will update their satellite image of downtown SF to show Salesforce Tower in all its 3D glory...I'm really impatient for an update!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 10:30 AM

The more I look at the Salesforce Tower, the more I like it. Especially at night. BTW, some of those low rise buildings nearby maybe should be torn down to build high rise buildings. I know they are occupied with businesses right now, but I would just like to see them replaced with high rise buildings. Wouldn’t it be great if some developer decides to build another 1k+ foot tall building in this district?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBuildings888 View Post
The more I look at the Salesforce Tower, the more I like it. Especially at night. BTW, some of those low rise buildings nearby maybe should be torn down to build high rise buildings. I know they are occupied with businesses right now, but I would just like to see them replaced with high rise buildings. Wouldn’t it be great if some developer decides to build another 1k+ foot tall building in this district?
Again and again and again people bash "those low rise buildings nearby" aka Foundry Square because they don't "get" San Francisco development. This project won high praise from a variety of architectural and land use think tanks when it was proposed and built and is still doing so. Specifically among the things the Planning Dept. liked about it was the height because it sits on the south side of the future Transit Terminal Park and would have shaded a substantial park of the park if built taller as, even then, zoing would have permitted. As things are, it does not do so and preserves views from the park as well as being, by itself, high quality architecture that is credited with enlivening a formerly uninspiring corner of SOMA. It isn't going anywhere.

Urban Land Institute in naming Foundry Square a winner in its "commercial category":

https://casestudies.uli.org/wp-conte...Square-PDF.pdf

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBuildings888 View Post
It'll happen but I'm not sure if it will in our lifetime.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 1:53 AM

Work on the curved display in the eastern part of the lobby.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwards View Post
Work on the curved display in the eastern part of the lobby.

Looks like it's live:
https://twitter.com/Benioff/status/1042786481490681856

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
correct me if im wrong, but i thought that eastern portion of the salesforce tower was supposed to be for restaurant/bar purposes since it opens up to the plaza

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gholgado View Post
correct me if im wrong, but i thought that eastern portion of the salesforce tower was supposed to be for restaurant/bar purposes since it opens up to the plaza
I'm not 100% on this, but I believe that is set to go in the northwest corner (back left corner in the picture below) of the lobby and apparently part of the first floor:

Quote:
And now she has her next project laid out before her, leasing 1,000 square feet in the lobby of The Pelli Clarke Pelli-designed tower, and 4,000 square feet in its first floor.
The cafe portion of Boutique Crenn will serve Crenn’s own line of coffee, sourced from Haiti and Guatemala, plus French patisserie offerings and completely biodegradable utensils; the lobby space will serve wine and classic cocktails.
https://sf.eater.com/2018/2/27/17059...force-tower-sf

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
I'm not 100% on this, but I believe that is set to go in the northwest corner (back left corner in the picture below) of the lobby and apparently part of the first floor:

https://sf.eater.com/2018/2/27/17059...force-tower-sf
yeah i remember reading this before this but i've always assumed it was facing the plaza.

bummer, i was hoping bars and cafes would open there to activate the plaza for the public, but now i get the sense that the plaza is just another gathering place for Salesforce

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 6:22 PM

If I'm understanding this correctly, it looks like the observation floor (The Ohana Floor) will be accessible to the public:

Quote:
What’s on the top floor, exactly? No offices, for starters. The top floor is dedicated to the public, who will be invited up free of charge. It runs the full length of the 61st floor, located 1,070 feet high. Consider it a public penthouse of sorts for Salesforce employees and customers, as well as the community at large.

Salesforce Tower officially opens for business
As Dreamforce kicks off this week, the Ohana Floor officially opened today. Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff and a smattering of guests visited the tip to check out the space (right now a series of Salesforce blue seating graces the perimeter of the floor) on Sunday and snapped shots of the stellar views.
https://sf.curbed.com/2018/9/24/1789...-views-tallest

And the tweet from Benioff:

Quote:
The top of Salesforce Tower (the Ohana Floor) is now open. No offices— just seating to enjoy the amazing views. Soon the public will be invited up free of charge. This is a powerful space to be shared/enjoyed by everyone in our city. Thank you to everyone who made this possible.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 6:26 PM

^^I don't necessarily take that to mean that anytime members of the public can just walk on in and go up there. I suspect it means that at specified times and for specified occasions the public will have access.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 2:49 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
^^I don't necessarily take that to mean that anytime members of the public can just walk on in and go up there. I suspect it means that at specified times and for specified occasions the public will have access.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sa...019-2018-09-27

Nope, it seems like this is a full on observation deck for free. Wasnt expecting one like others stated in the forum, but its great to officially have an observation deck.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture