HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Who did you vote for?
Liberal Party 75 38.66%
Conservative Party 47 24.23%
New Democratic Party 37 19.07%
People's Party 11 5.67%
Bloc Québécois 6 3.09%
Green Party 13 6.70%
Other 5 2.58%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 7:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
I think Canada (and Australia/NZ ) are immune from the worst of it. We simply don't have the nativist history.
Not sure about the Australians.

Australians tend to be more conservative and individualistic than Canadians. They also feel vulnerable, being a mostly white country on the fringes of southeast Asia. The Chinese are more of a threat to the Australians than they are to Canada or the US.

There's a pretty strong White Australia movement, and they aren't beyond shipping boat people off to small neighbouring archipelagos for internment.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 7:36 PM

Regionalism/separatism is more of a problem than populism in Canada.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 7:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
There's still a sizable portion of the population (as much as 10%) that seeks expulsion of ethnic minorities in Europe. The far right parties will always host these people.

Recessions tend to push voters to extremist parties. There's an almost 100% chance of a recession in the western world in the next 5 years. We could see a far right push in Europe in the near future.

I think Canada (and Australia/NZ ) are immune from the worst of it. We simply don't have the nativist history. France has a native language, culture, political system, deep history, and religion. There are 1000 years of French history defined by the ethnic French. Canada is born out of colonialism and immigration. It's apples and oranges
Its not just that though, its driven by fear. Europeans see the massive influx of immigrants and dislike it but rarely speak up. But when terrorist attacks start happening and then crime occurs they begin to feel fear. Just like that incident in Vancouver with the girl in the park, had that happened closer to the election or been repeated multiple times we'd also be less open to refugees/immigrants.

Also for all you Liberals out there, her blood is on Trudeau's hands. You have someone who was murdered because Trudeau broke his election promise"
Quote:
The federal Liberals said in 2015 that the government would give top priority to assisting Syrian families, women at risk and members of the LGBT community, and that single men would only be permitted entry if they were LGBT or accompanying their parents as part of a family unit.
Ibrahim Ali was none of these, yet he was allowed in this nation anyway. A 13 year old girl is dead because Trudeau broke his promise.
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...n-marrisa-shen

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 8:02 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Think of all the lucky members of the NDP's Quebec caucus (read: part of NDP club at McGill) who fell ass-backwards into a fully funded pension just by being part of a freak aberration in politics.
True story - I was a semi-involved member of NDP McGill when the Orange Wave happened and was acquainted with several of the students who ran. Had I been just a bit more of a political keener at the time I might have had a shot at qualifying for that sweet MP pension too!

This time around, I voted in the advance polls for Wayne Long, our incumbent Liberal Candidate, mainly because of the limitations of our FPTP electoral system. He has the best shot at defeating the Conservative candidate, former MP Rodney Weston. My preferred result nationally, considering the current polling realities, would be a Liberal minority with NDP balance of power, or a Liberal-NDP coalition of some description.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 8:10 PM

Voted Liberal just to add to their popular vote in a minority situation. Conservatives will easily win my riding.

As usual, lots of grey and white hair at the polling station, and none of my 40-something friends voted

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 8:15 PM

I live in a well-to-do riding that regularly swings, both provincially and federally, between the Libs and Cons. Because of this I voted strategically, which I hate, as I much prefer to vote based on principles.

If it hasn't been pointed out already, the grammar Nazi in me is itching to change the title to "Whom...", if not even "For whom..."

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 8:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Voted Liberal just to add to their popular vote in a minority situation. Conservatives will easily win my riding.

As usual, lots of grey and white hair at the polling station, and none of my 40-something friends voted
Depressing. But there is still time for them - until 9:30 tonight!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 8:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Australians tend to be more conservative and individualistic than Canadians. They also feel vulnerable, being a mostly white country on the fringes of southeast Asia. The Chinese are more of a threat to the Australians than they are to Canada or the US.

There's a pretty strong White Australia movement, and they aren't beyond shipping boat people off to small neighbouring archipelagos for internment.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-...vival/11611962

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Depressing. But there is still time for them - until 9:30 tonight!
Not a chance. To them it is not worthwhile to waste any time on politics.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 8:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Permission to speak freely, captain?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 8:28 PM
arf

Quote:
Sad. I voted. It's important.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I'm not sure I see any link between majority/minority government and the power of the PMO. Nor do I see any difference between the Liberals and the Conservatives in this regard.
I believe the centralization of power in the centre started around the time of the transition from Pearson to Trudeau.
I guess it would have to be a revolt of the backbenchers to wrest power away from the centre.
But who would lead? Who would follow?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 8:37 PM
It's Hammer Time

I just voted, I voted for Liberal. My riding is currently held by the Liberals, Filomena Tassi. She's a Minister (Minister of Seniors) so if we do have a Liberal minority I would like at least one Hamilton MP in the governments cabinet.

Oh my uncle voted for the first time in his life and he just turned 60, I was shocked lol. I've voted since I turned 19.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

when I was in Melbourne last year I saw billboards like this all over Melbourne, they were a few variations but the same message by this guy, most people thought he was a joke.

2019-10-21_02-39-13 by snub_you, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 8:43 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I carried through on my intention to vote NDP. I think my riding actually has a good chance to go orange and has before so that was the main deciding factor between that and green. My ideal outcome would be an NDP minority propped up by enlarged green and bloc contingents with a liberal opposition. That's the only way I can see electoral reform actually happening any time soon. I doubt there's more than a 1/1000 chance but hey, no harm in dreaming right?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 8:44 PM

I voted in the advanced polls over Thanksgiving. Liberal obviously. My riding will 100% go Conservative though, so my vote doesn't really matter.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I believe the centralization of power in the centre started around the time of the transition from Pearson to Trudeau.
I guess it would have to be a revolt of the backbenchers to wrest power away from the centre.
But who would lead? Who would follow?
Yes, but I can't see it happening until the House is much larger than it is today - at the moment the potential of being rewarded for being a "team player" is too high for many MPs to risk rocking the boat. The contrast with the UK, where most backbenchers know that's all they'll ever be, is striking.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 8:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

I think Canada (and Australia/NZ ) are immune from the worst of it. We simply don't have the nativist history. France has a native language, culture, political system, deep history, and religion. There are 1000 years of French history defined by the ethnic French. Canada is born out of colonialism and immigration. It's apples and oranges
Some regions (Quebec obviously, but there could be others) and demographics in Canada do have some potential for nativism. And some might argue that it's already here - only tamer than in other places.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 8:54 PM

I voted NDP in St. John's East. No line up when I swung by the polling station around 8:45 this morning, but it was certainly busy there. Nice and quick, in and out in 5 minutes.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:23 PM

I find it really sad when young people don’t vote. If I ever heard someone was unable to get out due to childcare/transport/financial I would do everything I could to enable them to vote, but that’s almost never the case. It’s almost always apathetic millennials more interested in their personal lives (gaming, CrossFit, free time) than they are in shaping our country for the future. There was a large proportion of pick ups and camo at my polling station today so I’m not feeling too confident in my Liberal preference.

...at least Justine McCaffrey will offer all kinds of stupid sound bites for the media if she’s elected

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada