HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 11:28 PM

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsond View Post
Even though I love the look of the new buildings going here, I can't help but feel sad seeing that torn down. It's a real loss. If the new Y centre turns out the way it is shown, it will be worth it but still, sigh....
I'm with you on that one... sad to see one of the few Halifax buildings built during the depression era gone forever...

The new building better be outstanding!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I'm with you on that one... sad to see one of the few Halifax buildings built during the depression era gone forever...

The new building better be outstanding!
Does anyone actually think this building was attractive though, or is it its history that people are mourning?

I'm irritated as hell about the destruction of beautiful old buildings for the Doyle...but to my eye the old CBC building was a plain-Jane concrete bunker with a couple of very minimal "art deco"-ish touches that didn't contribute much of any character to the area. It looked more like a parking garage than anything, to me.

If anything, I think the new building looks too much like the old one. I hope the finished product looks better than the renderings.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portapetey View Post
Does anyone actually think this building was attractive though, or is it its history that people are mourning?

I'm irritated as hell about the destruction of beautiful old buildings for the Doyle...but to my eye the old CBC building was a plain-Jane concrete bunker with a couple of very minimal "art deco"-ish touches that didn't contribute much of any character to the area. It looked more like a parking garage than anything, to me.

If anything, I think the new building looks too much like the old one. I hope the finished product looks better than the renderings.
Meh... I have always liked it, for many of the same reasons that are outlined in this blog:

http://halifaxbloggers.ca/noticedinn...reamline-baby/

In fact, the part of the new building that mimics the old one is my favourite part of the development.

Just my opinion, but I realize that there are far more opinions that go opposite to mine, such as yours. Variety is the spice of life...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Meh... I have always liked it, for many of the same reasons that are outlined in this blog:

http://halifaxbloggers.ca/noticedinn...reamline-baby/

In fact, the part of the new building that mimics the old one is my favourite part of the development.

Just my opinion, but I realize that there are far more opinions that go opposite to mine, such as yours. Variety is the spice of life...
Fair enough - I still find it very bland, but i get the idea of the 50s "streamline" look.

More interesting to me now, is this photo from the page you linked:

(Maybe this belongs in the "old Halifax" thread.)

What are the beautiful old buildings in the upper right corner and sort of jest above and to the left of the centre? Anyone know?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 3:00 PM

Yes, that is a very interesting photo, and this won't be the first thread to go off on a tangent, so... the upper centre building is this one, I believe.

https://novascotia.ca/archives/Notma...ves.asp?ID=680

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 3:07 PM

I'm not sure about the one on the upper right, but I think it may be the Poor House.

https://novascotia.ca/archives/Halif...ives.asp?ID=45

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 4:35 PM

Wow, thanks.

Bitter irony that the Poor House looked like an aristocrat's castle.

The exhibition building was beautiful. Another octagon in old Halifax.

Such a shame everything that was lost in the Explosion. We had a few buildings that might rival some of what you now see in the Old Port of Montreal.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 4:40 PM

I also don't think this is a big loss from an architectural standpoint. The building was fairly basic, and any interesting design elements (mostly just the curved corner) are being carried over into the new building. From a distance it'll probably just look like the old building got renovated and a tower built on it.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 4:48 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Such a shame everything that was lost in the Explosion. We had a few buildings that might rival some of what you now see in the Old Port of Montreal.
A lot of buildings were destroyed in the North End but just about everything survived downtown and in the South End. The old poor asylum burned down in 1882. Unfortunately, a lot of those big Victorian-era buildings were prone to fires.

Most of the heritage buildings were lost over decades due to the exact process we're seeing today with the Doyle Block and CBC Building. Back in the 1960's they were tearing down buildings from the mid-1800's and earlier. A lot of people argued that they were obsolete and run-down.

I agree that Halifax could have had an Old Montreal kind of area, particularly below Barrington Street and the harbour. Some of that could still be recaptured by doing things like restoring the Dennis Building and Province House grounds, etc. There are a couple of old buildings that might be worth reconstructing too, like the building that originally had the naval clock (from 1772). That would be a nice landmark for the waterfront. People really like the Morse's Teas building but it is only one of maybe 6 or 8 similar buildings (Cunard, Brown Brothers/Pentagon, and a few other unidentified ones) that were mostly demolished. Similarly there was a handful of Dennis Building type 7 storey narrow offices that were demolished. The stretch up Sackville Street, around Hollis and over to where the Maritime Centre is now was mostly 4-6 storey masonry office buildings that would be heritage buildings today.

The Great Pontack is another interesting old waterfront landmark (from 1754, played a role in the Seven Years' War, and apparently survived until at least 1925): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pontack_(Halifax)

Prince Edward also had a townhouse somewhere around the Citadel, maybe near Brunswick Street. I've never managed to find any pictures or drawings of it.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 4:49 PM

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
A lot of buildings were destroyed in the North End but just about everything survived downtown and in the South End. The old poor asylum burned down in 1882. Unfortunately, a lot of those big Victorian-era buildings were prone to fires.

Most of the heritage buildings were lost over decades due to the exact process we're seeing today with the Doyle Block and CBC Building. Back in the 1960's they were tearing down buildings from the mid-1800's and earlier. A lot of people argued that they were obsolete and run-down.

I agree that Halifax could have had an Old Montreal kind of area, particularly below Barrington Street and the harbour. Some of that could still be recaptured by doing things like restoring the Dennis Building and Province House grounds, etc. There are a couple of old buildings that might be worth reconstructing too, like the building that originally had the naval clock (from 1772). That would be a nice landmark for the waterfront. People really like the Morse's Teas building but it is only one of maybe 6 or 8 similar buildings (Cunard, Brown Brothers/Pentagon, and a few other unidentified ones) that were mostly demolished. Similarly there was a handful of Dennis Building type 7 storey narrow offices that were demolished. The stretch up Sackville Street, around Hollis and over to where the Maritime Centre is now was mostly 4-6 storey masonry office buildings that would be heritage buildings today.

The Great Pontack is another interesting old waterfront landmark (from 1754, played a role in the Seven Years' War, and apparently survived until at least 1925): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pontack_(Halifax)

Prince Edward also had a townhouse somewhere around the Citadel, maybe near Brunswick Street. I've never managed to find any pictures or drawings of it.
I knew the Poor House had burned, but I read that the Royal Exhibition Building was lost in the Explosion. I didn't check sources though

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 5:23 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
I knew the Poor House had burned, but I read that the Royal Exhibition Building was lost in the Explosion. I didn't check sources though
I have read that too but I wonder if there weren't multiple similar buildings. There were also exhibition buildings around where the Forum is today.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Different building. This one was lost in the explosion:

https://novascotia.ca/archives/Irvin...ives.asp?ID=40

There were some posts about the exhibition buildings in another thread in the SSP Halifax forum, but I haven't had the time to look for them.

And to add credence to someone123's post about the relative lack of destruction in other areas, there's this photo from downtown (Five Fisherman building) shortly after the explosion:

https://novascotia.ca/archives/explo...ives.asp?ID=22

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 6:08 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
And to add credence to someone123's post about the relative lack of destruction in other areas, there's this photo from downtown (Five Fisherman building) shortly after the explosion:

You can see St. Paul's Parish Hall in that scene, 1718 Argyle Street. Another unfortunate architectural loss, although part of the facade is still there.

The Auction House next door isn't a terribly impressive building but it is from 1765. Five Fishermen is circa 1810.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 6:40 PM

Quote:
You can see St. Paul's Parish Hall in that scene, 1718 Argyle Street. Another unfortunate architectural loss, although part of the facade is still there.
Precious little of the facade is still there. In fact it looks like it was deconstructed and partially rebuilt in a more setback location and different configuration than the original. One of the weakest concessions to heritage preservation that I have seen, to be honest.

Current appearance:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.64740...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Different building. This one was lost in the explosion:

https://novascotia.ca/archives/Irvin...ives.asp?ID=40

There were some posts about the exhibition buildings in another thread in the SSP Halifax forum, but I haven't had the time to look for them.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
... I agree that Halifax could have had an Old Montreal kind of area, particularly below Barrington Street and the harbour. Some of that could still be recaptured by doing things like restoring the Dennis Building and Province House grounds, etc. ...
Restoring Province House's grounds is something the Heritage Trust should be pushing... the parking lots there are a real detriment to the building.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Restoring Province House's grounds is something the Heritage Trust should be pushing... the parking lots there are a real detriment to the building.
I was tempted to respond "But the province is broke" but then I remembered the Yarmouth ferry announcement.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I was tempted to respond "But the province is broke" but then I remembered the Yarmouth ferry announcement.
Exactly. There's still plenty of money on hand in the provincial budget. It's just being allocated badly. (So, so badly.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth