HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 2:17 AM
David

My personal winter siverity tolerance map bears a striking resemblance - no wonder I live on Vancouver Island!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 2:30 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It doesn't capture the biggest winter problem around here though which is lots of rainfall and a lack of light in the winter months.

As an extreme example a place like Ketchikan, Alaska looks pretty good on that map but in December the days are 7 hours long and they get 300 mm of rain per month for 6 months straight (so imagine it's pouring and +5 outside, and you're on day #15 with about 7 hours of what looks like twilight and 17 hours of darkness). Most people would not like the climate there much.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 2:35 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I doubt SignalHillHiker would agree that anywhere in the Avalon has some of the best winter weather in Canada.

Newfoundland as a whole ranks pretty highly on the overall climate severity index which of course covers the whole year, not just winter.
I think the best comfort zone on that map is the green zone. The blue zones are still too severe. (just for winter of course!).

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 11:39 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It doesn't capture the biggest winter problem around here though which is lots of rainfall and a lack of light in the winter months.

As an extreme example a place like Ketchikan, Alaska looks pretty good on that map but in December the days are 7 hours long and they get 300 mm of rain per month for 6 months straight (so imagine it's pouring and +5 outside, and you're on day #15 with about 7 hours of what looks like twilight and 17 hours of darkness). Most people would not like the climate there much.
It also averages 18C as a high at the height of summer.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 11:41 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I think the best comfort zone on that map is the green zone. The blue zones are still too severe. (just for winter of course!).
In terms of year-round climate, I'd still take a lighter blue (such as PEI) than the darker blue areas of the Avalon for much consistently nicer spring and summer seasons.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

This map doesn't tell us anything new, but it reinforces that the best winter weather id found in coastal Nova Scotia, the southern Avalon, southwestern Ontario and southern and coastal BC.
The purple dot in NH has to be Mount Washington weather station.
Purple in Gaspesie Peninsula are located in Chic-Chocs Mountains.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 5:42 PM

Quote:

Exactly. Climate-wise, I wouldn't hesitate between Denver and St. John's (both dark blue).

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilippeMtl View Post
The purple dot in NH has to be Mount Washington weather station.
It likes to brag "worst weather on Earth". According to that map, it's not an exaggeration that it is the points champion of the entire Lower 48!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 11:19 PM
Community Guy

A very cool map by Felipe Cañavera.

-Yellow represents buildings with up to 3 storeys
-orange with up to 6 storeys
-red with 7+ storeys.

https://twitter.com/afcanavera/statu...78498391941120

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 11:29 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
It likes to brag "worst weather on Earth". According to that map, it's not an exaggeration that it is the points champion of the entire Lower 48!
Although if you consider mountains in the US there are much taller ones. I dunno if it's the worst for climate but Mount Whitney in Cailfornia is over 4,400 meters while Mount Washington is a little under 2,000 m. Montana has a cold winter climate overall and its highest is just under 4,000 m. There's a good chance that it's worse than Mount Washington in NH but didn't get a dot.

If you cared more about snow you could pick some mountain in Washington State closer to the Pacific. Some places there must get massive amounts of snow. The worst point in the lower 48 might be somewhere along that WA-MT axis.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Although if you consider mountains in the US there are much taller ones. I dunno if it's the worst for climate but Mount Whitney in Cailfornia is over 4,400 meters while Mount Washington is a little under 2,000 m. Montana has a cold winter climate overall and its highest is just under 4,000 m. There's a good chance that it's worse than Mount Washington in NH but didn't get a dot.

If you cared more about snow you could pick some mountain in Washington State closer to the Pacific. Some places there must get massive amounts of snow. The worst point in the lower 48 might be somewhere along that WA-MT axis.
I've been to Mt Washington in August on a hot day at the bottom of the mountain. I think it was 28 C. It got cooler as we drove up the road to the summit but the temperature really drop during the last couple of minutes before the summit. The weather station had recorded a bit of mixed rain and snow in the morning that day. Very windy at the very top and foggy.

I've been at much higher elevations in Alberta and BC on different mountains during the Summer and never experienced it being as cold and windy as Mt Washington. The high winds are the reason for the severe Winters.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 8:58 PM
Community Guy

A boom and bust town... nah...

https://www.linkedin.com/in/afcanavera/

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 9:36 AM

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 1:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

A historical curiosity: A little piece of New Brunswick is in Nova Scotia
Engineering work stranded five-hectare property on the wrong side of the Missaguash
Jacques Poitras · CBC News · Posted: Oct 18, 2021 8:00 AM AT | Last Updated: 1 hour ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...uash-1.6212774

Quote:
New Brunswick has had its share of boundary disputes over the years, almost going to war with the state of Maine in 1839 then squabbling with Quebec over Lake Temiscouata a few years later.

But along the Missaguash River between Aulac, N.B., and Amherst, N.S., there's nary a whisper of contention over a five-hectare historical curiosity.

No farmers fluster. No politicians bluster. No militias muster.
To improve water flow and drainage in the Missaguash River, engineers straightened an oxbow segment of the river, stranding a small parcel of NB on the NS side of the border. Interesting article.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 1:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

oxbows are cool. there are a lot of border anomalies caused by them.

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 4:56 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Not sure if this one of NS has been posted before.

It really goes against the received wisdom of NS being mostly rural or metro Halifax being super spread out. In reality NS is like most provinces with a large concentration in 1 metro area and much of the nominally rural population being in the metro's orbit (places where you can easily take advantage of regional infrastructure like hospitals, universities, shopping, and airports). Then Cape Breton is somewhat separate but has a pretty similar pattern on a smaller scale.

It's not obvious on this map but you can see the effect of geography here. Parts of NS are rocky and have almost 0 population except right along the coast where people traditionally relied on maritime industries. The inland population is mostly in farming areas that are in the northern "half" of the province (if you divide it up lengthwise). The Eastern Shore is quite rugged and has very little population, and western NS is only a bit more populated than that.

Climate doesn't matter much to where people live. The southwest is the mildest, with significantly better weather than the Northumberland side of the province, but the inland southwest areas are resource poor so ended up not really being settled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 10:48 PM
The New Republic

In all fairness, the Maritimes has historically been more rural than other regions of Canada. For decades, rural areas have seen next to no population growth while a number of urban areas have shown steady growth. Some like Moncton and Halifax have seen strong growth.

Nova Scotia is less rural than it used to be but it also bears mentioning that a significant chunk of Nova Scotians (more than a third) still live in places smaller than 10,000 people. It goes along way in explaining why Nova Scotia feels rural. 45% may live in Halifax but it's also true that Nova Scotia is dotted with small towns. The latter isn't necessarily a bad thing though. Due to the small geographic size of the province, you're never all that far from an urban area.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 12:36 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
In all fairness, the Maritimes has historically been more rural than other regions of Canada. For decades, rural areas have seen next to no population growth while a number of urban areas have shown steady growth.
It depends on the period but I agree this was true for a lot of the 20th century. Before then, the Maritimes were generally more urbanized/industrialized. Although even in the 50's and 60's Halifax wasn't much smaller than say Calgary. There really was Montreal, Toronto, and then everywhere else. If you read old Canadian national media, the rural Maritimes trope didn't really get going until maybe the 70's and 80's, by which time the economy of the Maritimes was in the doldrums and they got conflated with Newfoundland.

Quote:
45% may live in Halifax but it's also true that Nova Scotia is dotted with small towns. The latter isn't necessarily a bad thing though. Due to the small geographic size of the province, you're never all that far from an urban area.
This is along the lines of what I was getting at. A lot of the population of NS is within the influence of some metro area, whether it's Halifax or Sydney. The actual "remote" population is quite small and in NS it's basically physically impossible to hit the level of remoteness possible in every other province except PEI.

I think there was (maybe it's dying away now) a pretty big disconnect between the popular national or even "self" image of NS and how it truly worked. It was mostly small industrialized towns (based partly on industries like textile and steel mills, tire plants, etc.) with access to railways/highways, plus some university towns. Fishing villages or "outports" exist but are a smaller proportion than in NL and NS isn't physically large enough to have villages 10 hours away from the city.

In NS, the quasi-rural counties are places like Hants and Kings, which definitely have farms and a rural economic base but are tied to the city. The feel is similar to around say Guelph or Kitchener in Ontario. Then on top of that there's a bigger mix of exurban development with in many cases professionals living in expensive waterfront large lot subdivisions. We can debate what of that counts as rural but it's very different from say a stereotypical Depression era subsistence homestead or an outport.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 6:57 PM

1966 Map of southern Ontario metropolitan areas

Old Posted Nov 7, 2021, 1:55 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
It depends on the period but I agree this was true for a lot of the 20th century. Before then, the Maritimes were generally more urbanized/industrialized. Although even in the 50's and 60's Halifax wasn't much smaller than say Calgary. There really was Montreal, Toronto, and then everywhere else. If you read old Canadian national media, the rural Maritimes trope didn't really get going until maybe the 70's and 80's, by which time the economy of the Maritimes was in the doldrums and they got conflated with Newfoundland.

This is along the lines of what I was getting at. A lot of the population of NS is within the influence of some metro area, whether it's Halifax or Sydney. The actual "remote" population is quite small and in NS it's basically physically impossible to hit the level of remoteness possible in every other province except PEI.

I think there was (maybe it's dying away now) a pretty big disconnect between the popular national or even "self" image of NS and how it truly worked. It was mostly small industrialized towns (based partly on industries like textile and steel mills, tire plants, etc.) with access to railways/highways, plus some university towns. Fishing villages or "outports" exist but are a smaller proportion than in NL and NS isn't physically large enough to have villages 10 hours away from the city.

In NS, the quasi-rural counties are places like Hants and Kings, which definitely have farms and a rural economic base but are tied to the city. The feel is similar to around say Guelph or Kitchener in Ontario. Then on top of that there's a bigger mix of exurban development with in many cases professionals living in expensive waterfront large lot subdivisions. We can debate what of that counts as rural but it's very different from say a stereotypical Depression era subsistence homestead or an outport.
Agree with all of that. Nova Scotia rural life usually doesn't equate to isolation.

Perhaps a bit simplistic but a real world analogy hammers home what rural means in Nova Scotia. In my university days, I remember Acadia or St. FX students making the trek to Halifax, in droves, to support their football or basketball teams. These schools are in small towns on the other side of the province but it's really only a 50 minute drive from Acadia; 120 minutes from St. FX. A fair number of Torontonians spend 60 minutes getting to work each morning.

Last edited by isaidso; Nov 7, 2021 at 2:10 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada