HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 5:48 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Montreal's is actually very close to being a dead ringer for the city hall in Tours, France.
I just had to check that, they do look extremely similar. Both stunners.

Flickr®

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 6:27 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
She is a beaut. Excellent example of mid-century modern / international style architecture. I thought there was talks about tearing it down to build a new one maybe 10 years ago? The school board building across the street was also an interesting piece of architecture.. but it's toast now. Too bad.
There was, they chose to renovate the building instead. I believe it was built in a way that it can be expanded upon with a taller tower if the need ever arises one day. Even with the building's current size and post renovation condition, there are municipal offices spread out all over downtown in various different buildings, including the recently renovated Lister Block building (across from the site of the original city hall). I'd imagine that a major expansion or an entirely new building will be needed within the next 20 years.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 6:53 PM
sick transit, gloria

I was at a friend of an acquaintances art gallery in Hamilton a few years ago where they had some of the original stone cladding from the City Hall. Not sure if it was obtained legally or during the night at some point during the renos…

I would say overall my favourite city halls in Canada are Toronto and Hamilton. Not sure why but I love the modernist take on civic structures. The old city halls are nice for sure, but they don't really stand out above and beyond other buildings of the era. Montreal's is nice for sure though.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 7:13 PM
Closed account

I definitely think we're at a turning point where people are starting to appreciate modernist architecture a lot more than say, 10 or 15 years ago. In fact, it seems to be that perfect point where there is clarity about what is exceptional and what is rubbish.

It seems that when buildings are still relatively young, there is a tendency to see the entire vernacular as out-dated and terrible. Eventually we are far enough removed for it to no longer seem out-of-touch and are able to appreciate the architecture more for what it is while still recognizing poor examples of the form. Finally, the building may get old enough that our fetishization of old things takes over and we are no longer able to recognize its architectural merits due to the dazzle of limestone capitols and copper roofs. I wonder if anyone studies this.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 7:44 PM

I find Canada's modernist/brutalist architecture very low quality for the most part, which may be why Canadians hate it so much. I used to think of myself as an unqualified hater of all of them, then I started finding ones I like. The only two in Canada, though, that I can say I like, are Habitat 67 and Toronto City Hall.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
I find Canada's modernist/brutalist architecture very low quality for the most part, which may be why Canadians hate it so much. I used to think of myself as an unqualified hater of all of them, then I started finding ones I like. The only two in Canada, though, that I can say I like, are Habitat 67 and Toronto City Hall.
Oh geez, there is a lot more than that, especially on the International Style (what I'd imagine most people typically think of as midcentury modernist) front. A lot of nice examples here: http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show....php?p=6613698

That said, I don't think that Canada is a hotbed for brutalist architecture... there are many such buildings across the country but relatively few outstanding examples.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 8:01 PM

[QUOTE=davidivivid;6925243]This used to be the City Hall of Ste-Foy. It was built in 1996 only to lose its city hall status when the city, along with 12 other municipalities, fusionned with Quebec city back in 2002.

Ancien Hôtel de Ville de Ste-Foy par davidivivid, sur Flickr

That's actually not a bad looking building. What is it used for now?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 9:18 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 9:21 PM
arf

For pre-cast, I love Regina's city hall. The crown on top lit up at night is really the icing for it and for me it just has such a good comic book vibe to it. For me it sums up the adage that while materials might matter, how you use a material is even more important.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 9:34 PM

Here's mine from Surrey, BC. We just opened this new building last year. It includes a public plaza and is located next to a new Central Library and the Surrey Central SkyTrain station. The building was designed as a public investment to anchor the core of a planned downtown in the northwest sector of the city.

source

source

source

2014-08-05-0001 by ClaudeFiset, on Flickr

2014-08-08-0022 by ClaudeFiset, on Flickr

City Hall Atrium by Matzuda, on Flickr

Surrey City Centre Library, City Hall and City Hall Plaza | Surrey, BC, Canada by qasic, on Flickr

This building replaces the old suburban-style office complex from the 60's:

Surrey City Hall (2009) by fboudville, on Flickr

And here's our original City Hall from 1912, now the City's Archives:

Municipal Hall - 1912 by Bob_2006, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 9:43 PM

Wow, nicely done Surrey. I'm impressed. The 1960s model was very nice too!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 9:44 PM
Look at me!

^Nice.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 9:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
You and I clearly think alike on this issue. My two noteworthy Canadian exceptions to my general dislike of Brutalism, are Habitat 67 and Toronto City Hall.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 9:46 PM
Look at me!

I Can't stand the Toronto city hall. In my view, Toronto's got the best old/former city hall (nicer and more grandiose than Montreal's) and the ugliest modern one. I know I whine about this in every city hall thread we have, but I'll never understand how montreal, the metropolis of the nation never took it upon itself to build a grand city hall like Toronto did. Even Vancouver's is bolder and bigger.

Anyway, here is the Montreal City Hall annex, built in 1906 or something. It's now used as the municipal court.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 9:52 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'm not a fan of TO City Hall, but I can objectively see that it's pretty cool so I like that aspect of it.

I also like Habitat 67.

But hate most in that style...

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 9:54 PM

Some City Halls near me...

Burlington City Hall:

Source

Brantford City Hall:

Source

St. Catharines City Hall:

Source

Welland City Hall:

Source

Source

Niagara Falls City Hall:

Source

Source

Former Stoney Creek City Hall:
- As soon as it opened, Stoney Creek lost its city status and became a part of Hamilton in 2001 so Stoney Creek City Hall was turned into a Hamilton Public Library branch.

Source

Hamilton was already posted, but here are a couple more good pictures...

Hamilton City Hall by BryanHerechuk, on Flickr

Hamilton City Hall by A. Wee, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 10:05 PM
sick transit, gloria

Are there any other cities out there that use the city hall as there logo? Toronto's has become iconic in that way for sure. It's one of the few things anyone in the city recognizes.

wikipedia.org

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
For pre-cast, I love Regina's city hall. The crown on top lit up at night is really the icing for it and for me it just has such a good comic book vibe to it. For me it sums up the adage that while materials might matter, how you use a material is even more important.
Regina's may be a few "High rise" city halls. I know of TO and Burlington, ON to a lesser degree. Any other high rise city halls in Canada?

paradigm4- Surrey City Hall is quite nice!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 10:41 PM

I love Surrey's new City Hall and Library. Absolutely outstanding, and a great anchor for the Surrey City Centre plans.

Kitchener's City Hall is also great for incorporating an inviting and useable public space.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 10:51 PM

I agree about Surrey's new City Hall. It is great and is possibly the best modern City Hall in the country.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada