HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
Not sure, I don't see anything around Montreal
Now, they could go to Vermont, though, a bit too far.
And I'm not sure if Mont-Tremblant (968m) is high enough.... ( and 1h drive from downtown)
Tremblant was rejected back in the mid 90's by the FIS when they tried to get a downhill event. They even built a little hill on top to house the starting shack.

Le Massif is just a little short but there were also some problems with the men's course. To reach the length required they would have to add a mound and/or some scafolding. This idea was rejected for 2002 but the IOC is getting desperate for Winter Cities so it might be Ok now.

If Quebec City can figure the downhill course out hey should be a no brainer. Tie in a new stadium for the ceremonies with a CFL expansion team as well.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 4:28 PM
User Registered

Toronto placed second in 2008.

If they bid again they could win.

The city could also benefit from all the new infrastructure and sports venues as well.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 4:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Tremblant was rejected back in the mid 90's by the FIS when they tried to get a downhill event. They even built a little hill on top to house the starting shack.

Le Massif is just a little short but there were also some problems with the men's course. To reach the length required they would have to add a mound and/or some scafolding. This idea was rejected for 2002 but the IOC is getting desperate for Winter Cities so it might be Ok now.

If Quebec City can figure the downhill course out hey should be a no brainer. Tie in a new stadium for the ceremonies with a CFL expansion team as well.
I agree that the engineering aspects of bringing the ski facilities at Le Massif up to standard should not preclude QC holding the games. Aside from this, QC would be an ideal host city for the Winter Olympics, and is the obvious Canadian choice if a new Canadian venue were to be chosen as a potential Olympic host.

I think potential Canadian Olympic venues should be limited to:

Summer
- Toronto
- Montreal

Winter
- Vancouver
- Calgary
- Quebec City

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Did the Vancouver Olympics break even? Calgary made money, but the games are very, very different than they were in 88, and I think with the financial ruin that the Montreal games were, no Canadian city will be able to host the summer games.

The Olympics are nice to watch and all, but the cost is getting too big for what is essentially a 3 week party
I agree, Calgary & Vancouver were at the right place at the right time, Quebec City lost out to a bribing Salt Lake City. With security cost these days, It's harder to find cities willing to take on the task (i.e. most current Winter Olympic bids recently pull out).

As far as Summer Olympics in Canada goes, only a couple/3 cities could take it on, Montreal is still in ruin from the cost & paying for the 'Big O', and Toronto is an unproven market, Ontario has never held a multidiscipline sporting event before. We'll just have to see how successful the 2015 Pan-Am games are, all Toronto has to do really is ask any of the five largest western Canadian cities how to put on an Olympics, World University, Pan-Am or Commonwealth Games to find out how its done..

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 4:56 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I think it's not worth the investment now...

But, surely a city the size of TO or MTL could find SOME way to continue using the facilities afterwards? And it'd be a great way to show off Canada in an urban way that most people don't associate with us. Not saying they don't know we have cities... they do. But they expect Sound of Music, Brady Bunch cities. Something proper big, with all of the positive and negative that implies, would be a great showcase for us.

I'd support either bid, even funded through federal taxes.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 4:59 PM

I do think Vancouver should talk to the IOC and see if they can get 2022 since they are stuck with two highly undesirable options, which likely wouldn't have even made the short list had there been reasonable competition. It has precedence in Innsbruck 1976 (12 years after hosting) when Denver walked away. Cost would be fairly low as little or no new infrastructure is necessary.

One thing is clear - Sochi made the Olympics very toxic.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 5:28 PM

I wonder where Vancouver would build its next Athletes Village, as the original is already occupied by residents.

Reverting the two recreation centres (the Oval and the Curling arena) back to their original purposes would upset a lot of people. Both (especially the curling one) are very popular and busy.

A lot of attention would also be placed on the sliding centre (not that I think there shouldn't be any attention).

I mean, I get that countries would be really hesitant to bid for the Games, especially after Beijing and Sochi. But I didn't really hear much about costs in London. And while the Olympic Village had a lot of local/national attention, did international folks think Vancouver spent a ton of money on their Games?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 5:30 PM
ARTchitecture

It will either be in Toronto, Calgary, or Quebec City. Most likely it Toronto - Summer, Calgary - Winter.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 6:56 PM
arf

Winter Olympics: What now for 2022 after Norway pulls out? from BBC News

7,000 page document? Seriously?

The IOC should be bribing the King to take the Olympics. Not the other way around. End of story.

So they now have Almaty where you don't even have Google Streetview or Beijing. I can just see where this is going if and when Hong Kong blows up over the protests right now.

I'd love to see Canada host another Olympics, but I don't see a country of 37-odd million footing billions of dollars to do it. It's hard enough getting support for a single 250 million stadium for the currently strongest franchise in the CFL merchandise wise.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Winter Olympics: What now for 2022 after Norway pulls out? from BBC News

7,000 page document? Seriously?

The IOC should be bribing the King to take the Olympics. Not the other way around. End of story.

So they now have Almaty where you don't even have Google Streetview or Beijing. I can just see where this is going if and when Hong Kong blows up over the protests right now.

I'd love to see Canada host another Olympics, but I don't see a country of 37-odd million footing billions of dollars to do it. It's hard enough getting support for a single 250 million stadium for the currently strongest franchise in the CFL merchandise wise.
They need to call a re-vote and reopen the balloting with leaner requirements. Had there been legitimate competition they wouldn't have even made the shortlist.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
I wonder where Vancouver would build its next Athletes Village, as the original is already occupied by residents.

Reverting the two recreation centres (the Oval and the Curling arena) back to their original purposes would upset a lot of people. Both (especially the curling one) are very popular and busy.

A lot of attention would also be placed on the sliding centre (not that I think there shouldn't be any attention).

I mean, I get that countries would be really hesitant to bid for the Games, especially after Beijing and Sochi. But I didn't really hear much about costs in London. And while the Olympic Village had a lot of local/national attention, did international folks think Vancouver spent a ton of money on their Games?
Those reverting back would be temporary though and they would return to their current state in the summer of 2022.

As for an Olympic Village, that may be an issue. The area immediately west, at least as of 2012 (per Google Street View) was undeveloped. For Whistler it isn't as hard, since there is sure to be more demand for hotels and winter lodges there. Otherwise, I don't see any additional infrastructure that would be necessary if they want to ask the IOC about 2022.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 8:04 PM

Regarding the winter games, there seems to be lots of people in favour Quebec, Calgary and Vancouver. Just curious as to why Edmonton isn't getting any? Is Jasper too far to work?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 8:05 PM
ARTchitecture

Jasper is way too far to work.

Calgary and Vancouver are both about an hour from their respective resort cities (Banff, Whistler), while Edmonton is over 3 hours from Jasper.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 8:21 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
They need to call a re-vote and reopen the balloting with leaner requirements. Had there been legitimate competition they wouldn't have even made the shortlist.
You need interested participants to have a vote though. The issue is Ukraine, Sweden, Norway and Poland all dropped their bids prior to the shortlist voting. The IOC is left with those that did not bail at this point. Oslo probably would have won, but a public referendum said no and the government backed out.

The appetite for hosting has certainly dropped and even in the case of their being a white knight behind a bid, governments are more leery of public perception these days. An Olympics in the West and especially North America is looking less and less likely in the near future.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 8:36 PM

Edmonton would need HSR to Jasper in order for a games there to be feasible.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 8:56 PM

People have this notion that Jasper is like Edmonton's Banff... it takes about as long to get to Banff from Edmonton as it does to get to Jasper. Over 4 hours away is not really next door. It's almost triple the driving time as between Vancouver and Whistler.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 10:47 PM

I think Vancouver is one of the few cities that could host both a winter and summer Olympics.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Those reverting back would be temporary though and they would return to their current state in the summer of 2022.

As for an Olympic Village, that may be an issue. The area immediately west, at least as of 2012 (per Google Street View) was undeveloped. For Whistler it isn't as hard, since there is sure to be more demand for hotels and winter lodges there. Otherwise, I don't see any additional infrastructure that would be necessary if they want to ask the IOC about 2022.
As well, the area immediately east of the stadium/arena (the "Concord Pacific" site) is open; and if the City goes ahead with its plan to dismantle the viaducts, there will be even more space. As well, there are substantial parcels slightly further afield, but still within Vancouver, which could be utilized for a new Athlete's Village (the bus barns at Oakridge, the old RCMP HQ, the Jericho Garrison).

As for the venues, the Oval can be easily converted back to host the long-track -- that option has always been included in the post-games plan. I'm sure that the curling rink could also be converted back, but perhaps that's one of the new venues which could be constructed as a legacy.

Virtually every other venue from 2010 can continue to be used for a future games. As well, it's likely that the transportation infrastructure will be significantly improved over 2010, with the Evergreen Line fully operational with an extension to Arbutus, the Surrey LRT lines, and enhanced express bus service.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 11:43 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
I think Vancouver is one of the few cities that could host both a winter and summer Olympics.
I don't think that of Vancouver, but I do think that of Montreal.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 11:45 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Vancouver also has the option of using cruise ships for the Olympic village. It was balked at the first time around due to security concerns but if the IOC came asking it would give Vancouver the upperhand at trying again (besides it should be even easier to guard ships docked in a secured port). 4 cruise ships docked at existing docks could house all the athletes. Don't see it happening though as I think they will find a suitable candidate for 2022.
I agree with Denscity that Vancouver could be one of a few cities capable of hosting both summer and winter games, just don't see it happening with Toronto and Montreal's political influence.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada