HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
I didn't notice the owl in the color photograph like it is in this one, so I looked again. It's hidden behind the lamp post.
I missed the owl too.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 12:31 AM

Downtown Los Angeles, 1940s

eBay

_

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 12:33 AM

Looking north from the corner of Broadway and 8th.

eBay

I SPY

"OK McKay Budget Jewelers", Brooks, Lankershim Hotel, Desmonds, COAST Federal Savings, Maxwell House, Los Angeles Furniture Co., Newsreel Theater, KRKO.
_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 4, 2015 at 12:44 AM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 12:49 AM

Another satisfied Desmonds customer.

eBay

This young lad reminded me of you CBD.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 6, 2015 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Fantastic photo!

I knew that there was a Hollywood USO on Cahuenga and I've looked for photos of it, but cannot seem to find one. I also have never located an exact address. Complicating matters is that before the Hollywood Canteen opened in October of 1942, the Hollywood USO was often referred to as the Hollywood Canteen. Complicating matters further is that people often assume that the Hollywood Canteen was a USO, but, in actuality, it was not affiliated with the USO. And, further complications arise because the Cahuenga USO moved locations after a years time. (One could further confuse the issue with the mention of the Hollywood Guild and Canteen located on Crescent Heights and Fountain.)

I have seen a broad map of Southern California with general positioning of USO locations (they used the word "sitings") as to where they were located in relation to the Hollywood Canteen in this time period. (The map is attributed to Andrew Gottsfield). He lists the two locations of the Hollywood USO with dots right next to each other, so I'm assuming they moved down the street, but I don't know that for a fact.

The Hollywood USO opened in February of 1942 until June of 1943 when it moved locations. The dot for the second Hollywood USO location is south of the original one, so I am inclined to think this photograph, above, is referring to the first USO location and was taken in between February of 1942 and June of 1943, since it is only one "door" south of Hollywood Blvd.

The Hollywood USO opened on February 2, 1942, which was eight months prior to the opening of the Hollywood Canteen, 1451 N. Cahuenga Blvd., just South of Sunset Blvd., and the Hollywood USO relocated eight months later, after the Canteen opened, to it's second location.

Re: Blackout rules

Thanks for the information on the blackout/dimout regulations. From a book about the Hollywood Canteen, called "Dance Floor Democracy" they have the following:

When the Hollywood USO opened up the street from the future site of the Canteen, on February 2, 1942, it also did so under pre-dimout conditions. Edward G. Robinson presided as starlet hostesses welcomed one thousand military guests in a "kleig-light ceremony and fanfare." (Footnotes indicate quoted info is from next days Los Angeles Times.)
___

This is a Bruce Torrence photo of the corner of Hollyood Blvd. and Cahuenga, dated 1943.

Notice the woman in the wheelchair. Even if we assume the date (year) is correct, the U.S.O. Club could have moved by the time the photo was taken (June) as indicated above, but I wonder where the entrance "one door south" would have put it; upstairs maybe? I didn't notice the owl in the color photograph like it is in this one, so I looked again. It's hidden behind the lamp post.

I was trying to read the words above the five "sections" of the newsstand. I believe the first says "Home Town Papers" and then "Photoplay". The third looks like "True Glory" (?) with a clock in the middle of it. I can't make out the next one. The fifth is "Liberty" magazine. Besides the dentists, the blade signs to the right are not legible to me, except "restaurant" of course, nor the store signs.
This is great. I had the address but hadn't realized it was this buiding the USO was originally in. They were on the second floor. There's shot of the door pre- USO of course- c. 1935 from the same California State Library set that included the intersection picture. I'm sure weve had it on NHL before but not in connection with the USO.

http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...EXDC1UMMBA.jpg

Nightime view of the newstand c. 1937 (I'm sure this is LAPL but can't re-find the link)

The other magazine name in that c. 1943 shot is True Story and I think the other one is Movie Life. Along with Liberty and Photoplay they were all Bernarr Macfadden (Physical Culture magazine founder) publications at this point.

(True Story "In Love With America" June 1943 and Movie Life May 1943)
Happy 4th of July, all

USC had this view that I don't remember seeing before, dated c. 1945. What's become of Dr. Chase?

http://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc...l45o1_1280.jpg

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 4:11 AM

I've often wondered if any of you "Angelians" remember this obscure song from 1965 /1966.

My best friend I worked with at Lorimar dated Norma, and I remember being told at the time that "she once had a hit song", but I had NO idea what they were talking about.
(there was no internet.....or youtube to check it out in the 1980s)

So I was pleasantly surprised to find her on youtube.

Norma Tanega, "Walkin' My Cat Named Dog."

click here to hear the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPZVrmJ2HH8

*side-note:

As some of the older comments on youtube mention....Norma was also the girlfriend of Dusty Springfield.
BUT.....as far as I know, she wasn't the one that threw the frying pan at Dusty. (she got a bum-rap for that)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 4, 2015 at 4:39 AM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 4:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I've often wondered if any of you "Angelians" remember this obscure song from 1965 /1966.

My best friend I worked with at Lorimar dated Norma Tanega [born 1939-], and I remember being told at the time that "she once had a hit song", but I had NO idea what they were talking about.
(there was no internet.....or youtube to check it out in the 1980s)
So I was pleasantly surprised to find her on youtube.
*side-note:
As some of the older comments on youtube mention....Norma was also the girlfriend of Dusty Springfield.
BUT.....as far as I know, she wasn't the one that threw the frying pan at Dusty. (she got a bum-rap for that)
__
I sure do remember the song . It was smack dab in the hippie era. But by 1966 I was in the Navy and somewhat isolated from civilian life.

Yes, my mom used to dress me in suits, hats and ties. I don't even own a suit these days. If I needed a suit, I'd have to rent one.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 4:44 AM

Quote:

Thanks for pointing out the uso sign on the light pole CBD. I didn't see it earlier.

"One Door South." "First Door"

So wouldn't the USO entrance be here (red arrow below)

originally posted by Martin_Pal

...or did you guys already figure that out?
The sign is pointing down Ivar, two streets east of Cahuenga, to the USO.

Last edited by BDiH; Jul 4, 2015 at 4:49 AM. Reason: correction

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 7:18 AM

happy-wallpapers

And many happy returns of the day e_r

Your cake won't be the sheet of flame that I'll get in a few days (see below), but what's a generation (or two) between noirishers?

images-pictures.org

Thank you for everything.

Last edited by tovangar2; Jul 5, 2015 at 8:00 PM. Reason: more noir

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 7:59 AM

Cheers, E_R!
___

Ava Gardner on the (Santa Monica?) beach showing her patriotic spirit during World War II.

(With military voodoo dolls?)

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 8:07 AM

Jinx Falkenburg celebrates July 4th...

Previous mentions of Jinx Falkenburg a couple months ago...
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=28566
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=28575
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=28578

...and what exactly is she sitting on?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
The sign is pointing down Ivar, two streets east of Cahuenga, to the USO.
But the street sign it's pointing down says "Cahuenga"?

Quote:

Thanks for pointing out the uso sign on the light pole CBD. I didn't see it earlier.

"One Door South." "First Door"

So wouldn't the USO entrance be here (red arrow below)

originally posted by Martin_Pal

...or did you guys already figure that out?
Well, you are probably right E_R, as NCD has a photograph (in the quoted post below) that makes sense for a second floor entrance. Still, in the Bruce Torrence photograph from 1943 (above) it still looks to me like there's a door right near the corner between the signal and the flag, but it's probably part of the Owl Drug Store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircitydame View Post
This is great. I had the address but hadn't realized it was this buiding the USO was originally in. They were on the second floor. There's shot of the door pre- USO of course- c. 1935 from the same California State Library set that included the intersection picture. I'm sure weve had it on NHL before but not in connection with the USO.

http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...EXDC1UMMBA.jpg
Could you post the address, NCD? Do you have the original address and also the address after it moved? Thanks! And also thanks for the correct magazine title--True Story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircitydame View Post
USC had this view that I don't remember seeing before, dated c. 1945.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc...l45o1_1280.jpg
What's become of Dr. Chase?
LOL, yes, indeed! What has become of him?
(Off to war, perhaps?)

Another great photo of this corner. Notice that there's a ladder, two actually, leaning on the Owl Drug Store front. I believe I see a man leaning against that "owl" that's atop the store!

Also the sign at the right over the street says "IT'S HE-- (?) 'The Adventures of Robin Hood'." The film was out in 1938; would they have been re-releasing it in 1945?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 2:53 PM

Quote:

Could you post the address, NCD? Do you have the original address and also the address after it moved? Thanks! And also thanks for the correct magazine title--True Story!

LOL, yes, indeed! What has become of him?
(Off to war, perhaps?)

Another great photo of this corner. Notice that there's a ladder, two actually, leaning on the Owl Drug Store front. I believe I see a man leaning against that "owl" that's atop the store!

Also the sign at the right over the street says "IT'S HE-- (?) 'The Adventures of Robin Hood'." The film was out in 1938; would they have been re-releasing it in 1945?
Here it is-

they moved to bigger digs at 1531 N. Cahuenga June 7, 1943. I've never seen a picture of it. It closed June 29, 1947.

That Robin Hood...I found a blurb in the newspaper from May 16, 1944 saying "World Famous Pictures" was going to begin a series in June under the title The Adventures of Robin Hood starring Howard Hill (he was the archer advisor on the 1938 Robin Hood) with writing by Paul A. Castleton. It doesn't show up as one of Hill's known credits, though.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 3:27 PM

Rr. Beauchamp dentist

After his 1935 absence I guess Dr. Beauchamp came back! 1964 photo, The Owl drug store is now a jewelry store. The building is still there today, the drug/jewelry stores is now a Popeye's fried chicken.

from, https://www.facebook.com/VintageLosA...type=1&theater

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 4:20 PM

Pacific Mutual garage/Carriage House

Last edited by tovangar2; Jul 5, 2015 at 7:45 PM. Reason: boring

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so-cal-bear View Post
After his 1935 absence I guess Dr. Beauchamp came back! 1964 photo, The Owl drug store is now a jewelry store. The building is still there today, the drug/jewelry stores is now a Popeye's fried chicken.

from, https://www.facebook.com/VintageLosA...type=1&theater

The Munstermobile on Hollywood Blvd!

That Dr. Beauchamp - !
Dr. B was there in 1935, left at some point apparently, then was back there as of July 1945, having disposed of both Drs. Chase and Green.
LAT 1-6-35

LAT 7-8-45

That's pronounced "Bee-cham" people!

Going back to the wonderful photo

Across the street it's nice to see Foreman & Clark in living color on the corner at 6353 in the 1940 streamliner where the old Hollywood branch library was before moving around the corner to Ivar. It opened March 1940.
LAT 3-14-40

Then that sign next door with the green boot... it's Regal Shoes at 6365. They opened there Feb 1940 and were there through 1943. I'm not sure if they were still there after that, though they did still have a branch downtown for sure.
LAT 10-17-40

It's in a building we've seen before. This was a 1920s building reborn as a streamliner in 1935. California State Library has a closeup of it from around that time (that's the mission-style old library next door).

http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...EFNEA9SA7R.jpg

It would get another remodel in 1949 for a branch of the Bond clothing store.
LAT 2-14-49

Last edited by Noircitydame; Jul 4, 2015 at 5:26 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Voila!

You da' MAN , Hoss

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 9:16 PM

NoirCityDame's post:

Thanks for all those interesting additions. I didn't know exactly what that boot shape was for! I love the "world's only outdoor escalator." Wow...really? Wonder what happened to it, though I can guess. Wish it was still there!

You sure know a lot about everything on Hollywood Blvd. -- do you happen to know of any photos showing the front of Coffee Dan's near Highland?

Also, in one of my directory searches they had a Coffee Dan's listed at 6405 Hollywood Blvd., which is near, or at, Cahuenga. I've never seen any photos at all of that location in Hollywood.

These addresses may have been from the 1956 directory, I didn't notate it.
1511 North Vine St. HO4-2290
6405 Hollywood Blvd. HO4-8449
6776 Hollywood Blvd. HO4-0667
_________

Inspired by your MOVIE LIFE cover with Veronica Lake:
Special Pages - Stars in Uniform
Movie Life of Veronica Lake

HAPPY 4th to y'all, too!

P.S.: My personal favorite "star in uniform":

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 11:23 PM

Celebration of 4th of July in Venice, CA, 1929

USC Digital Library

And may I also add my birthday wishes to ethereal_reality.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 11:48 PM
BANNED

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos