HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Kind of funny that The downtown Frys is going to end up opening sooner than this Whole Foods when this complex was done like 6 months ago.
Agreed, very frustrating! Looks like the next DRC will have the Forest highrise on the docket, looking forward to seeing the renderings!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
The Baseline store has always struck me as small for a Whole Foods. Even as far back as 2007 when the new Whole Foods in downtown Tempe was first being touted, there was talk that it would be much bigger:

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/mon...32fe161c0.html
Well, it was built for Lucky in 1975 and was the Valley's first Whole Foods when it opened in 1998.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 1:37 AM

Found the renderings for the 707 S Forest apartments and the Hotel on college and 6th street.

https://mailchi.mp/tempe/tempe-commu...t-news-october

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 1:51 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymie View Post
Well, it was built for Lucky in 1975 and was the Valley's first Whole Foods when it opened in 1998.
Interesting. I wonder what will happen to the space once Whole Foods leaves.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Interesting. I wonder what will happen to the space once Whole Foods leaves.
I believe that this is one of the locations that Aldi's is going in to.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 3:23 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwwolfe View Post
I believe that this is one of the locations that Aldi's is going in to.
Makes sense. That space seems like a good size and location for Aldi's.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmodrak12 View Post
Found the renderings for the 707 S Forest apartments and the Hotel on college and 6th street.

https://mailchi.mp/tempe/tempe-commu...t-news-october
Nice find, thanks for posting. For the lazy:

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 4:41 PM

Beautiful. Would like to see a more pop of color though. Some much needed height and density for that block. Will it have groundfloor retail similar to the union? I love how walkable that area is becoming with great tenants. Walking to sundevil stadium from Mill ave is now a pleasant experience.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 5:43 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Nice find, thanks for posting. For the lazy:

320' tower crane review submitted for this tower: https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...18769999&row=0

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 5:46 PM
Modulator

Also found this FAA app. Is X coming to Tempe?? Haven't heard this and can't find anything on a search. Location places it on East side of Rural between Terrace and 8th.

Quote:
Overview
Study (ASN): 2019-AWP-11167-OE
Prior Study:

Received Date: 10/07/2019
Entered Date: 10/07/2019
Map: View Map
Construction Info Structure Summary
Notice Of: CONSTR
Duration: PERM (Months: 0 Days: 0)
Work Schedule:

Structure Type: Building
Structure Name: X Tempe
FCC Number:

Structure Details Height and Elevation
Latitude (NAD 83): 33° 25' 13.10" N
Longitude (NAD 83): 111° 55' 33.60" W
Datum: NAD 83
City: Tempe
State: AZ
Nearest County: Maricopa

Proposed
Site Elevation:
Structure Height:
Total Height (AMSL):
https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...19121021&row=1

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Also found this FAA app. Is X coming to Tempe?? Haven't heard this and can't find anything on a search. Location places it on East side of Rural between Terrace and 8th.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...19121021&row=1
I believe that’s where Skyview is supposed to be. I’m not sure if it’s related to the X Social Communities like the one in DT Phx.

https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=47130

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 6:27 PM

That is exactly the skyview site!! Structure height of 280 falls in line with skyview's plan at 24 stories. This gets me hyped as this will be some great height for the area. Quite frankly the only thing besides the rise.

Maybe Golub & Co sold the land/plans to PMG recently? This would be a nice site for their X communities brand with micro units/co-living concept.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 6:28 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsfan87 View Post
I believe that’s where Skyview is supposed to be. I’m not sure if it’s related to the X Social Communities like the one in DT Phx.

https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=47130
Since that's a 3 year old review, maybe it's changed hands since then? I checked X Communities website and nothing is showing (yet) for X Tempe. But if they were to propose another, I can't think of anywhere else better than Tempe. It's the perfect location for a shared living tower such as X.

Edit: Sleuthed a little bit and found this parcel is owned by 529 Tempe, LLC which is affiliated with Gollub. Gollub was also the owner of the 200 Monroe before the X Phoenix project. I'd say it's a good gamble this is now an X Communities development.

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Oct 14, 2019 at 6:42 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsfan87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
That is exactly the skyview site!! Structure height of 280 falls in line with skyview's plan at 24 stories. This gets me hyped as this will be some great height for the area. Quite frankly the only thing besides the rise.

Maybe Golub & Co sold the land/plans to PMG recently? This would be a nice site for their X communities brand with micro units/co-living concept.
Quote:
Since that's a 3 year old review, maybe it's changed hands since then? I checked X Communities website and nothing is showing (yet) for X Tempe. But if they were to propose another, I can't think of anywhere else better than Tempe. It's the perfect location for a shared living tower such as X.
All of this would be consistent with the Jmodrak12 post a couple pages back that previous developer for Skyview that couldn't get financing had entered a joint partnership (evidence now would point to the partnership being with PMG) to get this one over the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmodrak12 View Post
The Developer who initially couldn't obtain funding for the project has started a joint venture to help fund SkyView. Look out for resubmittals probably middle of next year (2020) at the latest.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 6:40 PM
Modulator

Deleted

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 8:55 PM

The fact that within the past (almost) two years I've moved here, I've witnessed the Tempe area and skyline dramatically change which is so bizarre and there seems to be no end in sight. Just how big do we think the skyline is going to evolve within say, the next two years, since they're pumping towers out left and right? Imagine 5 years from now?

Already coming from I-10 west right before the 60 merge where you can see the lookout of the valley, the Tempe skyline oddly reminded me of mini Vegas skyline from the same approach you get driving into Vegas with the valley and then a wall of skyscrapers.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 9:41 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesthelimit View Post
The fact that within the past (almost) two years I've moved here, I've witnessed the Tempe area and skyline dramatically change which is so bizarre and there seems to be no end in sight. Just how big do we think the skyline is going to evolve within say, the next two years, since they're pumping towers out left and right? Imagine 5 years from now?

Already coming from I-10 west right before the 60 merge where you can see the lookout of the valley, the Tempe skyline oddly reminded me of mini Vegas skyline from the same approach you get driving into Vegas with the valley and then a wall of skyscrapers.
I think it will keep going as long as the economy holds, slow down on the next recession and then gain momentum again. Tempe is landlocked and really nowhere it can build except up. The only problem is, Tempe won't get any towers over the height of W6 for a long time if ever. But I am perfectly fine with that as long as Tempe keeps adding another dozen or so towers around 250'.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesthelimit View Post

Yeah it's pretty great. Union, Mirabella and Oliv make a big difference. It used to be that West 6th stuck out and was sort of a skyline unto itself. Now like you say Tempe has its own mini-skyline, with Westin and 100 Mill about to add to it and several others potentially adding as well.

In the next 2-5 years, of the buildings either in the early stages of construction or not yet under construction, the ones I think could add to a "skyline" are 100 Mill, Westin, Omni and 707 Forest. Depending on how much the city builds and the angle, other skyline projects might include The Pier and Skyview. There are lots of other shorter projects--e.g. the 6th/College hotel, Hilo, Farmer Arts, Novus projects, Apache student housing projects, etc.--that I don't think will really add to a "skyline."

I doubt anything that is not currently proposed could be adding to the skyline in 2 years, but on a 5 year timeline, you could potentially see tall projects at the 3rd/Ash parking lot, the Newman center, the First Congregational Church, NEC of Rio Salado/Ash (by Tempe Beach Park), various places in the Novus Corridor, various sites on the south side of the lake, a latter phase building in the Watermark development, etc.

I am not going to pretend to be able to prognosticate economic fluctuations that obviously will affect development. But on current trends of (1) employers wanting to be in Tempe to be near the lake, airport and university, (2) renewed interest in urban (or urban-ish) living, (3) massive domestic migration to Phoenix-metro, (4) a city council generally supportive of increased urbanization/density (at least in the core), and (5) ASU aggressively building out the Novus corridor as a means of generating revenue, signs point to a lot of those projects being built and the skyline continuing to grow.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 11:56 PM
Skyriser

They should level A Mountain so those towers can be seen. It would also open up room for more towers. In all honesty, it prevents what has been a Tempe skyline with what has been built on the north side of it.

The Newman Center had a partnership to build a religious-oriented student housing tower. I wouldn't be surprised if that renewed either this cycle or the next.

W6 will forever be the tallest building in Tempe, the height limit is 300' to parapet which was devised after it.

And yes, Tempe has no choice to go but up--their budget depends on it. The state-shared revenue formula sends more money to cities that are growing more. This is the exact opposite of California where cities have no financial incentive to build housing and results in the high cost of living there--not enough supply.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
W6 will forever be the tallest building in Tempe, the height limit is 300' to parapet which was devised after it.
Aura Watermark (281') and The Pier (283') aren't too far off.

Also, great news on Skyview!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest