HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 11:12 PM

Exciting! I wonder how long until they are out of the ground! I hope they do like Vrancor and other builds and start the first few floors exterior before study reach the top so the atmosphere of King William goes back to normal. I'm always surprised that no development moves some tenants in while still under some construction. I'm thinking it is safety and efficiency related, but it still sucks that it takes so long before a normal street returns.

I've heard that this is to be complete by end of 2021 though, which surprised me to hear. Does anyone have new elevations or information about completion dates or sale dates?

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 12:14 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Exciting! I wonder how long until they are out of the ground! I hope they do like Vrancor and other builds and start the first few floors exterior before study reach the top so the atmosphere of King William goes back to normal. I'm always surprised that no development moves some tenants in while still under some construction. I'm thinking it is safety and efficiency related, but it still sucks that it takes so long before a normal street returns.

I've heard that this is to be complete by end of 2021 though, which surprised me to hear. Does anyone have new elevations or information about completion dates or sale dates?
I'd imagine it's for all those reasons, but more than any, cost. The only project I personally remember as having opened up while still under "heavy construction" (IMO: still forming concrete floors above) is Aura in Toronto and it had to essentially hang up massive outward protruding sheets of steel above the sidewalk, from the third level of the podium. Can't imagine this being very inexpensive.

As for the completion date, end of 2021 is pretty optimistic in my opinion but not impossible, at least for substantial completion; especially considering at least one of the towers is a rental. On elevations, I have requested the latest documents from the City on this and a number of other projects, and am waiting to hear back. Very curious to see what the finalized plans actually look like.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 12:25 PM
Burger Connoisseur

From what I have read the Apple Store is believed to eventually open at the base of The One at Bloor/Yonge long before construction on the condo portion is complete so that will probably be another rare example of business opening before completion. They will have the luxury of subway/path access though so they probably won't need such a complicated safety measure like they built for Aura.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 12:49 PM

2021 is too soon. It'll be lucky to hit grade by spring - *maybe* top out end of year. My guess for completion is mid to late 2022, depending on how quick they move.

I wouldn't be surprised if 2021 was the original plan - the dewatering issue they had likely delayed it a lot.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
It would certainly make it more convenient - gotta adapt with the times - you can't park outside of the businesses anymore since they widened king st - that's the reason parking was never a huge issue in the late 1800s/early 1900s in the city - everyone would park diagonally along the entrances
The city needs to start investigating a new downtown public garage - or at least start buying spaces from developers in garages. The amount of commercial parking being lost in the downtown is a great thing as it's all surface lots, but it's going to start causing issues in a few years as there aren't a ton of commercial garages in the downtown right now, especially on the east end of downtown.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 4:11 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The city needs to start investigating a new downtown public garage - or at least start buying spaces from developers in garages. The amount of commercial parking being lost in the downtown is a great thing as it's all surface lots, but it's going to start causing issues in a few years as there aren't a ton of commercial garages in the downtown right now, especially on the east end of downtown.
There was a study going on a couple of years ago. The city was looking to partner with private interests in new parking facilities.

They are aware of the pending shortage of parking in the downtown.

Here's a link to the parking master plan and ongoing study I just found on the city website. https://www.hamilton.ca/city-plannin...ng-master-plan

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 5:06 PM

Taken this morning:

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 12:09 AM
Hamilton Historian

It's crazy to see the newly restored building beside it.. it looks like it's just always been there looking like that..

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 12:46 AM

That's the beauty of neo-historic buildings

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 2:54 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildishGavino View Post
That's the beauty of neo-historic buildings
That it is.. that it is..

I just really wish they had applied that neo-historicism to the new podium for the cobalt building.. all the renders they have showed for their proposed podiums for the front have just been.. woefully uninspiring.. some even looking somewhat ellen faircloud-esque.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
That it is.. that it is..

I just really wish they had applied that neo-historicism to the new podium for the cobalt building.. all the renders they have showed for their proposed podiums for the front have just been.. woefully uninspiring.. some even looking somewhat ellen faircloud-esque.
Might be easy to renovate in a few years, at least.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 6:44 PM

Does anyone know who the general contractor is on this project?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 7:52 PM

I honestly don't mind the podium in the renderings. As long as it's done well (eg. REAL brick, not prefab slabs) I think it will fit in fine and extend the street wall nicely

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
I honestly don't mind the podium in the renderings. As long as it's done well (eg. REAL brick, not prefab slabs) I think it will fit in fine and extend the street wall nicely
I'd put a $500 bet on it being prefab.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 8:25 PM

I wouldn't take that deal Hawrylyshyn. TheRitsman is probably right.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 12:46 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
I wouldn't take that deal Hawrylyshyn. TheRitsman is probably right.
Yeah I agree in that this will probably be very cheaply done at grade level - which is very disappointing in this area. I would have fought a lot harder for a historic looking facade like the one next door, OR something super modern to reflect the glass box going across the street to at least lend some harmony in breaking up the historic block.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 12:21 AM

Shot from yesterday

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 1:00 AM
Hamilton Historian

I really hope it doesn't rain while that guy is in that hole.. doesn't look like there is anything preventing it from all just turning to mud..

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 9:37 PM

Here is a poor picture through a fence of the 2nd crane base being installed. I talked to one of the supervisors on site he said the 2nd crane should be up in about a week.
Also the hole is 60 feet deep or about 6 story's.

received_405659924148993 by R L, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 10:08 PM

I'd love to be proven wrong but 60ft doesn't look right to me. Looks like 40ft personally.

I wonder if the City has quietly secured some public parking in the development. The original plans only had 2 levels of underground from what I remember.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton