HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 1:36 PM

^sad to see them leave the area for a industrial park by the airport. love young "hip" families shop there, but as the article says, when your parkade becomes a washroom and windows constantly broken it's not a place poeple want to come too. the only good news out of this article is that the building Sold so let's hope it becomes residential and we start getting real tough on crime.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 3:31 PM
the first stamp is free

^ the parting shots in this article on the neighbourhood notwithstanding - I know for a fact this move has been in the works for several years now - since at least 2021.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
^sad to see them leave the area for a industrial park by the airport. love young "hip" families shop there, but as the article says, when your parkade becomes a washroom and windows constantly broken it's not a place poeple want to come too. the only good news out of this article is that the building Sold so let's hope it becomes residential and we start getting real tough on crime.
Such a tricky part of town. So much potential but how does one clean it up? It's flanked by one of the toughest neighbourhoods in Western Canada and has several homeless shelters. Short of packing them up and forcing them to leave, what does one do in the North Exchange.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Such a tricky part of town. So much potential but how does one clean it up? It's flanked by one of the toughest neighbourhoods in Western Canada and has several homeless shelters. Short of packing them up and forcing them to leave, what does one do in the North Exchange.
^turn it into a gated neighbourhood. only allow cardholders in and out.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 8:32 PM

I know the other local businesses talked about getting some spillover traffic from shoppers at West Coast Kids, but I'm not sure their warehouse was necessarily the best and highest use. It would make for a great residential conversion...

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 8:37 PM
the first stamp is free

^ the building needs a bit of work, but nothing crazy. I imagine a residential conversion is in the new owners ~ 5year plan.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 8:45 PM

103 Princess isn't even that close to the homeless shelter zone. Seems like they just threw that in for good measure.

Either way, hoping the new owners convert to residential. Probably a better use of that building anyways. It's a nice looking building. Maybe they can strip the dark grey paint off and restore the red brick and limestone.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 8:48 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
103 Princess isn't even that close to the homeless shelter zone. Seems like they just threw that in for good measure.
That aspect of the article bothered me. As I mentioned, they have been planning on this move for a long time, regardless of more recent "activity" in the area.

Plus it's also the location that helped to establish and grow the business to what it is today - so apparently not so bad!

I bought a ton of stuff at that location before we had kids. Most of my friends too.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2024, 10:19 PM

any updates on developments at polo? a few spots like the corner upstairs from kernels have been under construction for quite a while. kiehls is open again and there’s a mac cosmetics going in next to it, anything else new worth mentioning?

Last edited by wani; Apr 6, 2024 at 2:23 AM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 12:54 AM

^ I want to know when some mid range towers are going up.

It's amazing the effect of interest rates in the range it is right now. I remember late 80s interest rates were through the roof. Look it up. No doubt next to zero built at that time.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
^ I want to know when some mid range towers are going up.

It's amazing the effect of interest rates in the range it is right now. I remember late 80s interest rates were through the roof. Look it up. No doubt next to zero built at that time.
Yeah, was thinking about that recent Shindico-announced development replacing the old Canad Inn Stadium area.

Anyone have any news on that?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 6:08 PM

I know it was the talk of the retail section pre pandemic, but is there any recent talk of Maison Simons opening shop in Winnipeg?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 4:15 PM

Winnipeg was originally positioned to have the first Simons outside of Quebec as the Asper backed Elms development (former Winnipeg Stadium site). When David Asper walked away from a bunch of commitments to the Bombers and the new stadium the Elms developed died and the site went back team and eventually Shindico/CF.

Unfortunately when that happened Simons felt there was no suitable development for them in Winnipeg, as the only suitable alternative was Polo Park and Sears was still operating.

As Simons self-funds their expansion and has heavily committed to expansion into other markets it feels safe to say Winnipeg is at best on their long list at the moment. (ie no active plans).

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 5:34 PM

I Was At Polo Park Two Days Ago Macs Cosmetics Is Coming to Polo Park And Now LensCrafters Is Moving To New Location In Polo Park From Main Level To Upper Level I Saw That Not Surprised

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Winnipeg was originally positioned to have the first Simons outside of Quebec as the Asper backed Elms development (former Winnipeg Stadium site). When David Asper walked away from a bunch of commitments to the Bombers and the new stadium the Elms developed died and the site went back team and eventually Shindico/CF.

Unfortunately when that happened Simons felt there was no suitable development for them in Winnipeg, as the only suitable alternative was Polo Park and Sears was still operating.

As Simons self-funds their expansion and has heavily committed to expansion into other markets it feels safe to say Winnipeg is at best on their long list at the moment. (ie no active plans).
As an aside, does any have the original plans for the Elms development? I'm curious to see what asper had planned back in the day. It'd be a mature neighbourhood by now, not a quasi-garbage dump for the past 10 years. That lot looks bloody horrendous currently.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:58 AM

I Was at Polo Park Today Learned Pandora Is Moving To New Location Next To Bath & Body Works in Polo Park Lot Changes Continues In Polo Park

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan