HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
What was the conversation?
There wasn't any discussion other than it was "postponed by the neighborhood until November 12."

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
There wasn't any discussion other than it was "postponed by the neighborhood until November 12."
When something is on consent, it generally does not get discussed.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 4:28 PM

You can email the case manager and make your support known for the 400' caps Heather.Chaffin@austintexas.gov. It'll get to the commission and council.

I wish there was a way to require a cap metro green line contribution before the rezone kicks in like Broadmore.

Last edited by freerover; Oct 10, 2019 at 4:41 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 12:45 AM
Meh

Quote:
^ That info came from this PC backup file for the 10/08 meeting.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=328713

This is from the same file. With a zoning change, buildings 1,2 & 3 would be 28-stories/400' and buildings 4 & 5 would be 17-stories/280'

These are all office towers, aren't they? Or will they be mixed use?

Quote:
You can email the case manager and make your support known for the 400' caps Heather.Chaffin@austintexas.gov. It'll get to the commission and council.

I wish there was a way to require a cap metro green line contribution before the rezone kicks in like Broadmore.
Cool. I sent them an email in support of it.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 1:26 AM
Meh

So, I added the Eightfold towers to my Google Earth model I've done. The placements are based on the site layout that the ATX posted, as are the heights of the buildings - 400 feet and 280 feet. I wanted to see how they would look in relation to downtown and I was curious where they might pop up in views. I left the compass on to help with the directions.

Eightfold with the Domain beyond. The yellow tower on the horizon is adjacent to one of the old IBM office buildings. The placement isn't right, but I was wanting to see how a 400 footer would appear up there.

The Oracle campus and the Town Lake Circle residential project on the left, and downtown. The green building in the middle left behind downtown is the South Austin Hospital expansion.

Riverside area, downtown, Eightfold, and The Domain from ~10,000 feet. The red building north of downtown by itself is the North Austin Complex state office building.

View of downtown and Eightfold from the Travis County Expo Center. You can also see the three midrises at I-35 and 71 on the left hand side just sticking up on the horizon.

St. Edward's University view. I was surprised to see Eightfold show up there.

West Courtyard Drive off 360.

And a view closer to my neighborhood. This is from a hill just east of Deaton Hill Drive on William Cannon Drive just west of West Gate Boulevard in South Austin. Again, I was really surprised to see it show up there. Eightfold is 10 miles away from this location.

The view from the South Austin Hospital parking garage. Eightfold and the Domain can be seen here.

183, north of 71. Downtown on the left. You can also just barely see the Domain in the middle.

71, east of ABIA. It's funny, but Eightfold and The Domain merge into one skyline here. ABIA's control tower is on the left.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 5:37 AM
Austinite

Great job with those Kevin. Can you post angles from farther north, including the Domain?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 9:18 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Awesome! Would be cool to see South Shore Central towers.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 4:47 PM

Wow! Thank you for compiling those photos of projected developments from different angles Kevin! Those are amazing and I'm sure it took you awhile to build all that

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 9:21 PM

That's really awesome! Is there a publicly accessible link where we can login and see views from different areas?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 10:33 PM
Meh

Quote:
That's really awesome! Is there a publicly accessible link where we can login and see views from different areas?
I'm not aware of a way of doing that. I wish there was so that people could do some screenshots of the places they know of where good views are to be had and share them. Plus, I would be more than happy for everyone else to enjoy it and even contribute to it if there was a way of doing it.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 12:29 AM

It seems like there should be a way to allow public access to a Google massing map similar to the CVC map wwmiv made in the sticky development thread. But I don't know how to do that at the moment. I don't think allowing public access for editing would be a good thing though.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 6:36 PM
Meh

Quote:
It seems like there should be a way to allow public access to a Google massing map similar to the CVC map wwmiv made in the sticky development thread. But I don't know how to do that at the moment. I don't think allowing public access for editing would be a good thing though.
Ok, I found a way. I had been looking through the tabs at the top left, which weren't any help until I added a new placemarker today for that fantasy "Star Tower" proposal. When you add a place marker or any kind of object to the map, it gives you the option to save it to your folder and also to add it to a file, which I'm assuming will automatically update each time you add a new marker. I was able to do that. It's a KMZ file, which you then have to download and then save to your Google Earth program. I actually would have two files to send, because I have my map of the models I did that just show the models themselves, and then a separate list where I labeled each model. I did that way so that could switch off the labels whenever I wanted to while still having the models show up.

If anyone wants them, I can email the files to you. Just send me a private message. Both files are under 40 kilobytes.

Eventually, I'd like do some screenshots for every new project and post them into the building threads. And I'd like to create a main thread that I'll post updates to whenever something changes like a height or something.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 12:20 PM

I dont think I would want to eat anything from that urban gardening area. Being so close to a plan that has so many Hazardous chemicals and gases. Although the sewage treatment plant down the road spews its own toxic gases as well.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Ok, I found a way. I had been looking through the tabs at the top left, which weren't any help until I added a new placemarker today for that fantasy "Star Tower" proposal. When you add a place marker or any kind of object to the map, it gives you the option to save it to your folder and also to add it to a file, which I'm assuming will automatically update each time you add a new marker. I was able to do that. It's a KMZ file, which you then have to download and then save to your Google Earth program. I actually would have two files to send, because I have my map of the models I did that just show the models themselves, and then a separate list where I labeled each model. I did that way so that could switch off the labels whenever I wanted to while still having the models show up.

If anyone wants them, I can email the files to you. Just send me a private message. Both files are under 40 kilobytes.

Eventually, I'd like do some screenshots for every new project and post them into the building threads. And I'd like to create a main thread that I'll post updates to whenever something changes like a height or something.

Thanks for sending! It's been fun seeing all the angles. Can you add the Burj Dubai to downtown just for fun?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 4:55 PM
Meh

Quote:
Thanks for sending! It's been fun seeing all the angles. Can you add the Burj Dubai to downtown just for fun?
I've done that before just for fun, yeah. You can add your own models. I've even played around with it and put a high rise in my neighborhood just to see what the views would be like. To do it, you use the "add pologon" tab in Google Earth. Fly over to wherever it is you're wanting to add your model. For a square or rectangular model, all you have to do is put down 4 dots. You don't have to drag your cursor. If you do that it'll make your model look crazy. Just put down 4 dots and shape it whatever you want. If you want it to be triangular, then you only need 3 dots. Once you place a dot, it will open box with a bunch of options - description, color, view, altitude, and measurements. To scale the height, you need put in a number under the altitude tab. It uses the metric system, by the way. There's also a scroll down menu that will say "clamped to ground". You want to click on that and select "relative to ground" because that will attach your model to the countour of the sea level elevation of that site. You also want to check the "extend sides to ground" box. And last, put in your height. So if it's a 500 foot model, you'd put in 152.4 as the height. You can also change the color to whatever you want even after you've created the model. Don't forget to save it under the file tab under "save my places". You can also create folders to make different model sets. I have models for a bunch of cities, not just Austin, so I wanted multiple folders so that I didn't have models of other cities showing up in my Austin folder.

It took me a while to figure it out, but once I did it was a lot of fun to play around with. When I added a model equal to the height of Burj Dubai, I was shocked that I could see it from the top of my street with a lot of ease. You can also view these models in the streetview version in Google Earth. So you don't only have to fly around. It's useful in determining where a skyline view might pop up from or if you're interested in seeing what a building might look like on the skyline from your favorite view.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 12:27 PM

Postponed again. Rescheduled for 12/10 PC meeting.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=331004

Last edited by The ATX; Nov 8, 2019 at 8:39 PM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 9:32 PM

Update from the ABJ. Not much is happening yet accept a name change. The first big tenant Work Well was planning to take100,000 Sq. Ft. But that didn't happen.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...bkhXZ3dvIn0%3D

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 3:53 PM

Jan says the property is facing foreclosure:

https://atxrealestatenews.com/2019/1...ed-austin-viie

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Jan says the property is facing foreclosure:

https://atxrealestatenews.com/2019/1...ed-austin-viie
Sigh... Why can't far east Austin have nice things....

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 7:47 PM

The article also explains the name change.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin