HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 4:03 PM

Bringing back my first post I made in this thread, with an update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post

I bought my first car on Monday. I love it!

photo by thomax

More:

I like the look of the original black mirror covers that came with it, so I switched it over to those...

photo by thomax
The above post was from December 2014 when I got my first car, a 2009 Mini Cooper S. It was an amazing first car, there wasn't a second I was driving it where I wasn't smiling. I ended up putting over 100,000 kms on it. Unfortunately though, last year it broke down at the top of the Burlington Skyway, and I had to make the decision to fix it or get a new car. I wanted something more reliable during the pandemic, so I decided it was time for a new car. I still have the MINI, and when I have the time and money I'll get it back up and running.

I got my new car exactly one year ago, today. It's a 2018 Chevy Sonic RS and it's been incredible so far. It's not as fast as the MINI, but the reliability, comfort, tech, and extra space make up for it.

This generation Sonic was only sold from 2017-2019 in Canada, so they are kind of rare. I've only seen two other orange ones all year. I get asked quite a bit what it is because so many people haven't even heard of them.

One of my favourite things about the design is the hidden rear door handles. I get to keep the look of a 2-door, but all my friends are happy that they don't have to crawl into the backseat anymore

photo by thomax

photo by thomax

photo by thomax

photo by thomax

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 4:20 PM

My 2010 xc60. Got it about a year and a half ago from a family member for below market, so even though it’s not really my “style”, I’ll take it.

255,000km on it, still running strong. The open hood warning light is broken though so the computer is constantly warning me that it’s in imminent danger it gets about the same fuel efficiency as a modern full size pick up truck too.. so there’s that. At least it doesn’t need premium.

I’m thinking I’ll keep it for another year or two, if it lasts. I’m eyeing the new Civic sport Hatchback perhaps.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 4:30 PM

Mine's a 2019 Kia Rio, base model. So basic, cheap, reliable. I'll drive it into the ground, and then when it's done I'll get an electric car.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 4:31 PM
video et taceo

Love the automated parking, spaces are TINY here.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 4:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Is this your next car?

I'm partial to Beemers and have a 550 and an X3. Mercs are nice, but there is a new Jag/Land Rover dealership coming to Moncton, and if there is anything that might shake my attachment to BMW, it would be a nice Land Rover.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 4:41 PM
video et taceo

I have one like that now (black on black), but I just grabbed that photo from a Google search.

I did a "private leasing" deal (i.e. zero down) because while my garage doesn't yet have chargers, it will eventually, and I don't want to get caught trying to sell a non-electric car in the Nordics in two-three years.

I would have got the plug-in hybrid variant, but without a garage plug, I figured I'd be lugging around a battery with gas more often than not. Thing gets good mileage anyhow (important with gas north of $2/litre).

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 5:55 PM

Have a 2021 Bronco on order, assigned a build week of June 28, so hoping to have my Bronco by the end of July or early August.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
Have a 2021 Bronco on order, assigned a build week of June 28, so hoping to have my Bronco by the end of July or early August.
!!! Congrats.

We'll need pics when you do get it! You're planning on taking it offroad often?

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
I have one like that now (black on black), but I just grabbed that photo from a Google search.

I did a "private leasing" deal (i.e. zero down) because while my garage doesn't yet have chargers, it will eventually, and I don't want to get caught trying to sell a non-electric car in the Nordics in two-three years.

I would have got the plug-in hybrid variant, but without a garage plug, I figured I'd be lugging around a battery with gas more often than not. Thing gets good mileage anyhow (important with gas north of $2/litre).
I'd have thought owning a car in Stockholm would be something that just isn't done by smart/non-vain people (I'm obviously putting you in that category ), the exact same way my on-island Montreal friends, even the multimillionaire ones, are nearly all car-less.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 7:33 PM
video et taceo

I really never use it within the city, but it's great for getting out of town, trips up north, taking the mountain bike different places, the beach, even the odd run to a suburban box store.

Greater Stockholm is like a fistful of Vienna surrounded by hundreds of square kilometres of Gatineau or something anyway.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 7:37 PM

Quote:

Nice, for some reason the A hatch seems that much sweeter because you can't get it in the USA.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 7:41 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Nice, for some reason the A hatch seems that much sweeter because you can't get it in the USA.
I didn't know that! I don't really get the A sedan, given the CLA is there too...

The hatch is good for parking (my garage is this tiny nightmare dug in under a 19th century block) and you get a surprising amount of storage when you fold down the rear seats.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
!!! Congrats.

We'll need pics when you do get it! You're planning on taking it offroad often?
Trying to find non mudding off road areas around here is difficult. Wish we had something like Moab here. Although I would be afraid to do the hardest of the obstacles down there for several years! Most of the off road it will see will be forestry roads and the like.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 4:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

Love the automated parking, spaces are TINY here.
very jealous here.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 2:03 PM
recession proof

They sell the A class hatchback in Canada. I'd like to test drive one and compare it to the MK8 Golf. Other new hatchbacks I like: Mazda 3, Toyota Corolla.

Anyone with a Ford Fiesta manual? I'm considering buying a used Fiesta/Fit/Micra/Mazda 2 beater within a year.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 2:40 PM

Genesis GV70

Thinking of moving on from my 2010 Forester to a new GV70. Photo from yesterday's GV70 event.

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 3:11 PM

Yesterday? Snow?

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Yesterday? Snow?
Are you a detective?

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Are you a detective?
No but I play one on TV.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 4:26 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada