HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Chicago Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 2:49 PM

Not quite sure why a 30ft reduction makes that much economic sense... and I never understood why does a high ceiling height make the building more expensive to build?..perhaps larger pans of windows and such? ..anyhow
not quite sure if this is new or updated but there is a pdf link with what seems like new images from there website for this project...

https://onechicagosquare.com/

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 3:05 PM
BANNED

I'm not really disappointed. 978' + 593' is massive in that area and will dramatically enhance the skyline. I get the sense on here sometimes that people think cities are measured by how many supertall buildings they have. But only a handful of people are even aware of such things. Most people measure cities by how culturally dynamic they are and how much social infrastructure they have; and the two are complementary.

My biggest concern with this development is that it's designed to discourage street life around it. The landscaped area around the base doesn't have any seating or focal point that might draw pedestrians to interact with the built environment or each other. In general, River North desperately needs a new centrally located public park, an entire city block where residents can find respite, grab a coffee, watch OCS rise upward.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 3:13 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
I'm not really disappointed. 978' + 593' is massive in that area and will dramatically enhance the skyline. I get the sense on here sometimes that people think cities are measured by how many supertall buildings they have. But only a handful of people are even aware of such things. Most people measure cities by how culturally dynamic they are and how much social infrastructure they have; and the two are complementary.

My biggest concern with this development is that it's designed to discourage street life around it. The landscaped area around the base doesn't have any seating or focal point that might draw pedestrians to interact with the built environment or each other. In general, River North desperately needs a new centrally located public park, an entire city block where residents can find respite, grab a coffee, watch OCS rise upward.
Agree on ALL points.

River North is downtown. It needs to act that way. It’s a center for the region.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 3:51 PM

I'm not going to lie, I'm fucking disappointed!

From last years public unveiling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
They totally used SSP diagrams.

again from David Matthews twitter

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 4:02 PM
BANNED

Lol rude! Should be mandatory supertall if using SSP content

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 4:04 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
I don't disagree with your assessment, particuarly when regarding the western portion of OCS.

River North and downtown generally could use a few more parks. However in terms of parks at least there is Washington Park not that far away from this lot. The south portion of River North is where there desperately needs to be a sizable park. I get it that we are all waiting on the Post Office at Dearborn/Garand but who knows when or if that will happen.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 4:09 PM

Angry

STOP! Restore the height of 1046ft in the title. There are no official communications regarding a change in the height of the project. Enough with the specculations and information that is not true.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 4:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I don't disagree with your assessment, particuarly when regarding the western portion of OCS.

River North and downtown generally could use a few more parks. However in terms of parks at least there is Washington Park not that far away from this lot. The south portion of River North is where there desperately needs to be a sizable park. I get it that we are all waiting on the Post Office at Dearborn/Garand but who knows when or if that will happen.
I agree, the Newberry park is great, so farther south would be best. Really, they should level McDonald's and Rainforest Cafe and build a central plaza right there.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 4:11 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^^ calm down. bombardier is batting 1.000 when it comes to supplying this forum with insider info.

if he says the newest drawings of the tower show it standing 978' tall, then that's what it is.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 4:16 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
I agree, the Newberry park is great, so farther south would be best. Really, they should level McDonald's and Rainforest Cafe and build a central plaza right there.
I've thought that for a long time. Bury the intersection of Clark and Ohio and there is a world of potential and parcels that could be integrated into a park/plaza plan.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 4:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I've thought that for a long time. Bury the intersection of Clark and Ohio and there is a world of potential and parcels that could be integrated into a park/plaza plan.
No doubt. If you built a central fountain or monument with some dynamic leisure spaces around it, it would change the whole character of the neighborhood and spur grander new developments.

I think the political will is there to do something significant. It would just require a lot of grassroots leadership and cooperation across govt and industry. The 606 is a great example of how plans that seem like pipe dreams are really just significant investments over time. The 606 was helped by the fact that the biking community was already highly organized and versed in mounting PR campaigns. It's an uphill battle but not an impossible one.

Last edited by Notyrview; Oct 25, 2018 at 5:24 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 4:33 PM

Does anyone have a 6 foot flagpole lying around, and is willing to climb OCS to place it on there?

Last edited by Randomguy34; Oct 25, 2018 at 4:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Lol rude! Should be mandatory supertall if using SSP content
Hahah, I like this rule

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^^ calm down. bombardier is batting 1.000 when it comes to supplying this forum with insider info.

if he says the newest drawings of the tower show it standing 978' tall, then that's what it is.
I have the latest architecturals dated 10/12/18 (addendum 5) on my desk. The height of Tower A shows 977'-8" to the top of the crown. The height of Tower C shows 593'-4" to the top.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 7:30 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ thanks for the corroboration.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 7:37 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox102 View Post
I have the latest architecturals dated 10/12/18 (addendum 5) on my desk. The height of Tower A shows 977'-8" to the top of the crown. The height of Tower C shows 593'-4" to the top.

Are Amazon's HQ2 plans in Chicago on your desk too?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 8:18 PM

Rough day for our number thumpers. First WPS and now this? Not gonna lie though I was looking forward to Chicago having two entries in the supertall construction section. It's looking pretty unlikely that will happen before Vista is complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Does anyone have a 6 foot flagpole lying around, and is willing to climb OCS to place it on there?
Well shit I'm just over 6 feet tall. When I die you guys can preserve me in amber and stick me up there.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 8:28 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
Rough day for our number thumpers. First WPS and now this? Not gonna lie though I was looking forward to Chicago having two entries in the supertall construction section. It's looking pretty unlikely that will happen before Vista is complete.

Yea, but when Vista is complete there's a small chance we could have 400LSD, LSE tower and Tribune. That would be sick.

Not getting my hopes too high give Chicago's track record but it is possible

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 8:36 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post

Well shit I'm just over 6 feet tall. When I die you guys can preserve me in amber and stick me up there.
A creepier version of Ceres on top of the Board of Trade...
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 9:01 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Not getting my hopes too high give Chicago's track record but it is possible
^ What's wrong with Chicago's "track record"?

What, a couple of pipsqueaks couldn't pull off a few supertall towers a decade ago? Come on, they were amateurs. They were in way over their head and we all know it, although Waterview was not nearly as bad of a long shot as the Spire was.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive