HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 7:09 PM

Arrow Austin | Graduate Hotel & Residences (1800 Guadalupe) | 213' | 18 Floors | Proposed

This Downtown Demolition Application Could Tell a Tower-Shaped Story

https://austin.towers.net/this-downt...-shaped-story/

A demolition application scheduled to appear at the October 5 meeting of the city’s Historic Landmark Commission could point to a new tower development on the northwestern edge of downtown Austin. The permit, listed for consideration on the upcoming meeting’s agenda, indicates an applicant is seeking to demolish the building at 1800 Guadalupe Street, a former apartment building dating back to 1923 that’s currently occupied by the office of law firm Dunham & Jones. Co-founding attorney Paul Dunham sold the property earlier this summer to an LLC connected with the Nashville-based real estate company Adventurous Journeys Capital Partners — and that same LLC also simultaneously purchased the larger adjacent western property at 410 West 18th Street from owners the Burt Group.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post

A demolition application scheduled to appear at the October 5 meeting of the city’s Historic Landmark Commission could point to a new tower development on the northwestern edge of downtown Austin. The permit, listed for consideration on the upcoming meeting’s agenda, indicates an applicant is seeking to demolish the building at 1800 Guadalupe Street, a former apartment building dating back to 1923 that’s currently occupied by the office of law firm Dunham & Jones. Co-founding attorney Paul Dunham sold the property earlier this summer to an LLC connected with the Nashville-based real estate company Adventurous Journeys Capital Partners — and that same LLC also simultaneously purchased the larger adjacent western property at 410 West 18th Street from owners the Burt Group.
Honestly pretty lame that they would demolish that building, it has character. The rest of the block is easily large enough to support a substantial development. It would be cool to see the old structure incorporated into the new development. Would be cool to use that as the hotel's restaurant.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
Honestly pretty lame that they would demolish that building, it has character. The rest of the block is easily large enough to support a substantial development. It would be cool to see the old structure incorporated into the new development. Would be cool to use that as the hotel's restaurant.
Agreed. This city is going to have no character in 10 years.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
People have been smugly predicting this for 20 years.

The reality is that, while Austin looks nothing like it did back then, it's also unfair to say it has no character. It's just different today, and it'll probably look different 10 years from now.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post

Had to dig a little bit but Towers guesses this lot will be a Graduate Hotel. Which would absolutely make sense, FWIW.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 8:34 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

No CVC in that area. Are Graduate hotels ever tall?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
No CVC in that area. Are Graduate hotels ever tall?
Not particularly.

https://www.graduatehotels.com/

I would be very surprised if this went much past the '200 the current zoning allows.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 9:15 PM

Quote:

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
Given the nature of some of "The Graduate" properties ( see other links above). Best case: they use the current property and add too.... much like Hotel Ella a few blocks away! That would be useful.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Austin: the city where anything interesting gets wiped away for liminal space housing called "The Attyson" or some shit. kEep iT wEiRd ~

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Austin: the city where anything interesting gets wiped away for liminal space housing called "The Attyson" or some shit. kEep iT wEiRd ~
Damn it must be miserable to be so nihilistic. We need every single unit of “liminal space housing” we can get in this city.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilliam View Post
Damn it must be miserable to be so nihilistic. We need every single unit of “liminal space housing” we can get in this city.
Lol. Go find your 12 friends on here that want housing everywhere. Majority of people hate shit like this.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Lol. Go find your 12 friends on here that want housing everywhere. Majority of people hate shit like this.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 2:39 PM

Quote:
What is with everyone lately? Is it necessary to be such jerks?

A majority of people don't understand and/or are ignorant with regard to our housing problem. That's not a dig on them, it's just that most people have other things in their life that are of more interest to them than housing policy.

Those of us that have some understanding want a equitable, healthy city where people can find a reasonable place to live at a reasonable cost. More, denser housing in/near the center of the city goes a long way toward making that possible.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
What is with everyone lately? Is it necessary to be such jerks?
The jerks are not the ones giving opinions about the city. The jerks are the ones who are making it personal for having those opinions. And that needs to stop.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 5:56 PM
Love Austin

What's up with some of the recent posts? Did someone share this link on Nextdoor?

Let's build!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 6:15 PM

hotels like this really belong in the city center.

clearly we need housing, but we also need hotels like this downtown. I say bring it. Looks great to me.

bring more housing too.

we are blessed to live in a city that still has announcements like this, with all the negative economy (recession) talk we hear about on a daily basis. God I love this city.

Austin is MORE diverse (in almost everyway) and more interesting than its ever been in my nearly 40 years living here.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
hotels like this really belong in the city center.

clearly we need housing, but we also need hotels like this downtown. I say bring it. Looks great to me.

bring more housing too.

we are blessed to live in a city that still has announcements like this, with all the negative economy (recession) talk we hear about on a daily basis. God I love this city.

Austin is MORE diverse (in almost everyway) and more interesting than its ever been in my nearly 40 years living here.
Oh, a newb, eh?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 7:45 PM

Quote:
@ahealy, I was probably a little rude here, so I apologize. I totally get the distaste with al ot of the recent developments. Especially all of the 5over1 apartment buildings. I think they're hideous as well, but unfortunately, I also think they and the large condo buildings downtown are the most effective way to meet the current housing demand within the constraints of our existing development code. Maybe if we can revamp the code and fix some things like FAR, parking minimums, compatibility requirements and zoning, we might be able to spur some unique new development.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 10:21 PM

Quote:
@ahealy, I was probably a little rude here, so I apologize. I totally get the distaste with al ot of the recent developments. Especially all of the 5over1 apartment buildings. I think they're hideous as well, but unfortunately, I also think they and the large condo buildings downtown are the most effective way to meet the current housing demand within the constraints of our existing development code. Maybe if we can revamp the code and fix some things like FAR, parking minimums, compatibility requirements and zoning, we might be able to spur some unique new development.

Apology totally accepted. I'm sorry too. I've just been feeling so cranky with things in town lately and haven't had that fire in by belly with Austin for a while. Nothing personal at all.

I get into this high standards zone and it can probably come off anti-development or NIMBY...but it's just me being a total diva

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin