HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea517 View Post
Weird, I haven't seen that map and it looks different to the one I had seen. I think it was previously posted here but is found on this link:
http://www.csulb.edu/~odinthor/socal5.html
This map shows Market St only running 2 blocks between Los Angeles and Alameda. I assumed 210 Market St pretty much matches up with today's 210 Temple. I will have to take a closer look at Beaudry's map to get a feel for where everything is and to see how/if I was mistaken.
More map craziness! (I'll let someone else speak to posting pix, as I go through this whole rigamarole that I'm certain is more complicated than it need be.) In any event:

Lots going on in 1906:

210 doesn't show up on my 1921 Baist's map, so we assume it's built soon after, according to your information. It's still there in 1951:

(and a close-up--)

...but the winds of change were a-blowin'. Two words: Parker Center.

Note the way the jail yard wraps around the top "arm" of Parker Center and continues straight toward Los Angeles St. As such, I'm guesstimating the footprint of the Paris Inn as

the blue shape, that is, once a parking lot, now a good part of it beneath the newly-constructed LAPD Metropolitan Detention Center No. 3772.

Last edited by Beaudry; Mar 8, 2011 at 7:58 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 8:42 AM

Arroyo Seco Then N Now

I was mesmerized, but then, I drive it pert near every day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6zhdwWGTOo

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 9:08 AM

Superb! Exceptionally enjoyable. ^^

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Jun 12, 2012 at 10:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 9:27 AM

Insomnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTex View Post
Remember the view of Hollywood from the Ricardo's apartment? I was a nice backdrop. Yeah, that episode was a classic, especially when Bill Holden accidentally lit her paper nose on fire.
onetanktrips.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
OK I just couldn't resist.

I Love Lucy

They're hostess pants. You wear them when you throw smart dinner parties.

Ethel: "Well, I was wondering what to wear to all those smart dinner parties I give."

Lucy: "Well, I saw them in last month's Harper's Bazaar."

Ethel: "Well, they're certainly bizarre!"

Lucy: "Now, wait a minute, Ethel. You get yourself a little black, off-the-shoulder blouse, a big crushy belt and little ballet slippers, and you're all set."

Ethel: "What for, Halloween?"

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja55 View Post
I'm still confused about Market Street. The Paris Inn was at 210 E. Market street. My Great Uncle bought it closed in 1920, opened it in 1924, remodeled it and reopened it in 1930, and due to the city using eminent domain, moved it to the Broadway address in 1950. All the maps show it being on Temple street, but the address shows Market. I can't find any Market Street downtown! I'm confused. Also.........
I've got lots of pics for Andrea of the Paris Inn but I'm not clear on how to post them. Some help please.

welcome to the thread Ninja55!

i had posted these before, but they are certainly relevant now!

Source: LAPL

i believe that is your great uncle conducting the chorus of waiters

in order to post pictures on the thread, they must either be 1st uploaded to a picture hosting site. this forum does not permit direct uploading from an individuals computer.

i use flickr to do this. it's free up tp 200 pictures, and then it's an annual cost of....(i think 35 dollars), if you want to store more than 200 images on the site. there are other sites, but i use flickr.

once the photos are uploaded onto flicker, you right click on the photo and select copy image location. once you have done that, when you are in the reply to thread box here at skyscraperpage, click the yellow box that looks like a mountain range with the sun overhead, (this is the insert image tool), then paste the images url link into the dialog box, select ok, and then once you hit the submit reply button, the image will appear in your post, linked from the photo site where the photo is stored.

to link photos that you find on the internet, you do not need to upload those to a picture sharing site 1st, you only need to right click on the photograph, and select copy image location, and follow the rest of the steps given above.

i can't wait to see some of your pictures!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/search...=1296853575049
maps.bing.com

Malumot is talking about the Young Apartments. Which I love, as I love much of this area, since I would roam about in it ca. 1983 as a wayward youth frequenting punk rock shows at the Olympic.
i'm guessin' you was here? new years eve 1982

Source: Corbis Images

Last edited by gsjansen; Mar 8, 2011 at 6:48 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja55 View Post
Thanks so much for all the photos of old L.A. My Great Uncle was none other than Bert Rovere. Restaurateur, sportsman, and man about town from 1920 until his death in the late 50's. He was the owner of the Paris Inn and Lucca's in L.A. and the Hurricane in San Francisco. His sister, Emma, married Joe Musso, of Musso and Frank's fame in 1936. He left his interest in the restaurant around 1927 and opened his own beautiful place on Wilshire called Musso's Parisian Gardens. It ran until his death.
I have an advertisement for the Paris Inn that says its was on 210 E. Market Street, just East of City Hall. I can't find any Market street downtown anymore. The only one is by the beach and certainly not east of City Hall. Does anyone know what street downtown was originally Market Street?

Welcome, Ninja55... I never knew that the extended Musso family was a group of such prolific restaurateurs-- here are a couple of items pertaining to the Parisian Garden:

www.latimemachines.com

LAPL

LAPL

www.latimemachines.com

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Mar 9, 2011 at 1:21 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 10:58 PM

This old Kodachrome snap has really put its hooks in me:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27381835@N00/3558991929/

Can anyone identify the scene out the window? My guess is it's somewhere in the San Fernando Valley, but that's only a guess.

The flickr page says this is from 1968, but I'm thinking it could be earlier than that. (The TV set in the lower left corner looks '50s vintage to me.)

A sizeable enlargement is viewable here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2738183...91929/sizes/o/

-Scott

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Jun 12, 2012 at 10:43 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 3:03 AM

Noir-era miscellany, with a twist

dearoldhollywood.com
Dancing lessons at the Hollywood Roosevelt

dearoldhollywood.com
Roger Ebert has called him “the soul of film noir”

dearoldhollywood.com
Dana Andrews and Teresa Wright and the tanks in downtown "Boone City"

dearoldhollywood.com

blog.owaysweet.com
Not that I've studied every pic of Liz and Nicky's May 6,
1950, wedding, but I don't remember ever seeing a shot
of the scene across Santa Monica Blvd. from the Church
of the Good Shepherd in Beverly Hills. (Btw, the men's
shop building is still there.)

dearoldhollywood.com
"Dance, girls, dance!"

dearoldhollywood.com

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 6:31 AM

[QUOTE=GaylordWilshire;5191415]onetanktrips.com

Where would the Ricardo's imaginary apartment hotel have been located based on that picture? Just curious. Maybe down in the Rossmore area?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 11:41 AM

[QUOTE=austlar1;5192744]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
onetanktrips.com

Where would the Ricardo's imaginary apartment hotel have been located based on that picture? Just curious. Maybe down in the Rossmore area?
the replica of the ricardo's hollywood palms hotel suite shown in the image above is from the lucy-desi playhouse in jamestown new york. the view out the window as shown in the replica set, is slightly skewed, as it appears that the hotel is located east of vine street.

the actual image used on the show was taken from the roof of desilu studios which were located at 846 Cahuenga Blvd, two blocks west of vine on willoughby avenue which is located a few blocks south of santa monica boulevard

the entrance of the hotel shown in the episode "Hollywood at Last" is actually the entrance of the current Avalon Hotel located at 9400 West Olympic Boulevard in Beverly Hills. at the time of i love lucy in 1955 it was the Beverly Carlton Hotel. the entrance is at the corner of canon and olympic

Source: iamnotastalker.com

Source: iamnotastalker.com

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 1:36 PM

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 2:22 PM

some more sister aimee noir

Sister Aimee Semple McPherson unveils cross placed above Angelus temple in echo park 1935. High atop the dome of Angelus Temple, in Los Angeles, CA., a huge cross will hence forth blaze at night with neon lights, and will rotate for 24 hours a day.

Sister Aimee mounting ladder to roof of Angelus Temple, in order to burn papers representing liquidated debts of $66,505 against the church

Aimee Semple McPherson's newest joy, liquidation of $65,505 in debts and notes against the church. The Evangelist touched a match to the papers atop the temple as 10,000 communicants watched from below. (hmmmm, that number seems a tad exaggerated......)

Last edited by gsjansen; Mar 9, 2011 at 3:34 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 2:53 PM

Bunker Hill as test track!

in 1924, L.T. Shettler, the Rickenbacker car dealer in Los Angeles, demonstrated the effectiveness of the 4 wheel disc brakes on a new 1924 Rickenbacker C6 Touring sedan by driving the car down the 2nd street steps leading from hope street to third street at the west portal of the third street tunnel

Last edited by gsjansen; Mar 9, 2011 at 6:16 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 6:20 PM
andrea517

Thanks Beaudry for the great map skills and research!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
More map craziness! (I'll let someone else speak to posting pix, as I go through this whole rigamarole that I'm certain is more complicated than it need be.) In any event:

Lots going on in 1906:

210 doesn't show up on my 1921 Baist's map, so we assume it's built soon after, according to your information. It's still there in 1951:

(and a close-up--)

...but the winds of change were a-blowin'. Two words: Parker Center.

Note the way the jail yard wraps around the top "arm" of Parker Center and continues straight toward Los Angeles St. As such, I'm guesstimating the footprint of the Paris Inn as

the blue shape, that is, once a parking lot, now a good part of it beneath the newly-constructed LAPD Metropolitan Detention Center No. 3772.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 8:08 PM

I've checked out Verner Oscar's glorious Kodachromes before........

Isn't that the Century Plaza Hotel going up?

Which would place this shot at around 1965.....

..and the location from that undulating area around Beverwill and Pico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post
This old Kodachrome snap has really put its hooks in me:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27381835@N00/3558991929/

Can anyone identify the scene out the window? My guess is it's somewhere in the San Fernando Valley, but that's only a guess.

The flickr page says this is from 1968, but I'm thinking it could be earlier than that. (The TV set in the lower left corner looks '50s vintage to me.)

A sizeable enlargement is viewable here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2738183...91929/sizes/o/

-Scott

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post
Bunker Hill as test track!
in 1924, L.T. Shettler, the Rickenbacker car dealer in Los Angeles, demonstrated the effectiveness of the 4 wheel disc brakes on a new 1924 Rickenbacker C6 Touring sedan by driving the car down the 2nd street steps leading from hope street to third street at the west portal of the third street tunnel

gs: A vital automotive point... all Rickenbackers built from June 1924, and some before, had four-wheel brakes--quite an innovation at a time when most cars still had the two-wheel variety. However, they were drum brakes--discs were far in the future for production cars. Leon Settler sold cars out of several locations... 5850 Hollywood Blvd., and on Auto Row at 1132 S. Figueroa, later at 1525 S. Fig, seen at left here:

LAPL

IMCDB
A Rickenbacker appearance in a 1959 Twilight Zone episode

The car's hat-in-ring logo was derived from its progenitor's WWI prowess in the air

LAPL
May 13, 1947: Captain Eddie Rickenbacker (far left) in Burbank, with the type of biplane he flew to earn his reputation
as an ace during WWI and a new Constellation he's buying from Lockheed for his Eastern Air Lines. Upon his arrival
in Burbank he is being met by the press and three of his four brothers (right from Eddie), Dewey, Al and Louis. I believe
this might be the plane about which, when upholstery material for it was being discussed, Rickenbacker said words to
the effect that the did the only thing he cared about seeing on the 88 seats were 88 asses.

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Jan 27, 2014 at 6:19 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 9:06 PM

thanx for the clarification on the brakes. when i originally posted the photo, i had done some meager reserach on l.t. shettler, and the 1st thing i came upon was that he was the Reo dealer in Los Angeles. that was what i had included in the post with the image of the car going down the 2nd street stairs.

i didn't feel 100% comfortable in that the car in the image was a Reo, so i did some looking through the telephone directories, and that was when I discovered this

Source: LAPL Database - Telephone Directories

Not being the car affecianado that i know others are, i then did some research on Rickenbacker automobiles. I read that they were touted for their 4 wheel brakes, and me not being up to snuf on vehicles, only assumed that they were disc brakes.

anyway, i love the photo, as i certainly had never seen it before, nor i don't think that i have ever seen a photo of the 2nd street stairs from that vantage point.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malumot View Post
I've checked out Verner Oscar's glorious Kodachromes before........

Isn't that the Century Plaza Hotel going up?

Which would place this shot at around 1965.....

..and the location from that undulating area around Beverwill and Pico.

I was hoping someone would recognize that building under construction. Thanks! I also now think it's mid-60s, as when I looked at that big enlargement, I could see the dog is wearing an original Hartz Mountain flea collar (the ones blamed for causing burns when they got wet), and those came out right around 1965-'66, if I recall correctly.

-Scott

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 10:57 PM

(Redundant post.)

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Jun 12, 2012 at 10:45 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos