course. Never once.'

Philip Marlowe: 'I hurt you much, sugar?'

Agnes Lowzier: 'You and every other man I've ever met.',

Next an unnamed script girl (I wish we had her name),

Then Lauren Bacall as Vivian Rutlege: 'Do you always think you can handle
people like, uh, trained seals?'

Philip Marlowe: 'Uh-huh. I usually get away with it too.'

Vivian: 'How nice for you.'

And then, of course, Bogie as Phillip Marlowe: 'She tried to sit in my lap while
I was standing up.'

The fine, stalwart supporting player Jean Louis Heydt as Joe Brody listens
intently on the right.

Warner Bros., Howard Hawks, 1946

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post

It look like that by the time this photo was taken outside the Hollywood Bowl in the 1950s, Los Angeles’ transformation from “best public transportation network in the world” to “city most reliant on the automobile” was well underway. But, I’m wondering, what those logs in the foreground were for. It looks like construction was going on but as far as I’m aware--does anyone here know anything better?--the land opposite the Bowl’s entrance was a parking lot until the Cecil B. DeMille barn (where filming took place on “The Squaw Man” (1914), the first feature film to be produced in the Hollywood area) was moved there in 1983.

To add to what Tourmaline said, I thought it was worth posting a couple of images from Historic Aerials to show the changes around the Hollywood Bowl entrance in the early '50s. Here's an aerial view showing how it looked in 1948.

Historic Aerials

Just six years later and the Cahuenga Pass Freeway had become part of the Hollywood Freeway. The old underpass had been removed, as had many of the houses directly south of the intersection. If you include the new median, Highland Avenue had become more than twice its original width as it passed the entrance to the Hollywood Bowl.

Historic Aerials

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 1:46 AM

Last edited by BifRayRock; May 21, 2016 at 5:20 AM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 1:59 AM
Dallas, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
David Geedy appears with his wife Retta in Kendallsville, Indiana in the 1900 Census. They were married in 1884. He does not appear in the 1910 Census in Los Angeles but does in the 1920. In that year he is living at 1672 W. 23rd Street. He is listed as being the owner of the building, with a Homer and Tessie Norcross listed as being renters. Apparently the building was divided into a duplex by 1920. That number does not appear in Los Angeles in the current Assessor's records. It does appear as 1666 and that shows the structure being built in 1914.
Thanks to everyone who researched my relative.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 2:16 AM

Zukor's 611 Broadway. We've seen it before. But not for long!

1931 Le Gran Open

http://urbandiachrony.files.wordpres...sbroadwayv.jpg

1948 - nice knowing you!

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/re...ll170/id/22180

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
The Big Sleep, Howard Hawks, 1946

The world is full of glamour shots and portraits of Lauren Bacall. I thought
we'd look at something like this instead. Howard Hawks (on the left) reads
through a scene one last time with his players before committing it to
celluloid.

Next to Hawks is Sonia Darrin as Agnes Lowzier: 'A half-smart guy, that's
what I always draw. Never once a man who's smart all the way around the
course. Never once.'

Philip Marlowe: 'I hurt you much, sugar?'

Agnes Lowzier: 'You and every other man I've ever met.',

Next an unnamed script girl (I wish we had her name),

Then Lauren Bacall as Vivian Rutlege: 'Do you always think you can handle
people like, uh, trained seals?'

Philip Marlowe: 'Uh-huh. I usually get away with it too.'

Vivian: 'How nice for you.'

And then, of course, Bogie as Phillip Marlowe: 'She tried to sit in my lap while
I was standing up.'

The fine, stalwart supporting player Jean Louis Heydt as Joe Brody listens
intently on the right.

Warner Bros., Howard Hawks, 1946

MichaelRyerson: That's a great photo! Shot right on the set where the scene was filmed.

The Big Sleep, Warner Brothers, 1946

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post

Ha. It looks like Vivian ended up right back on the couch pretty much exactly where she was for the story conference. Meanwhile, Joe Brody (keeping Marlowe and Vivian covered) is fishing around in a desk drawer (for some pictures of Carmen Sternwood, I think) as Agnes and Marlowe react to a knock at the apartment door. Unfortunately for Joe he will cross to the door and open it a crack. Carol Lungren (Tommy Rafferty, a professional tap dancer, here in a minor role as the vaguely gay errand boy of main bad guy Arthur Gwynn Geiger) is waiting in the hallway with a gun of his own. Joe is going to take one in the belly.

Somewhat interesting side note: Sonia Darrin (Agnes Lowzier) is the mother of Mason Reese a name which may be familiar to some of us nla'ers of a certain age.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 3:03 PM

FYI, there are two versions of the Bogart/Bacall "The Big Sleep" extant, one from 1945 and an expanded version from 1946 with the celebrated "racehorse" scene. Roger Ebert thought the second was better, others (including myself) disagree.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
FYI, there are two versions of the Bogart/Bacall "The Big Sleep" extant, one from 1945 and an expanded version from 1946 with the celebrated "racehorse" scene. Roger Ebert thought the second was better, others (including myself) disagree.

Cheers,

Earl
I agree. I've always thought the racehorse scene seemed out of place, the dialogue almost strained and, in fact, some of the production qualities failed to match the rest of the film, the lighting primarily.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 5:38 PM

[QUOTE=MartinTurnbull;6689233]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

usc digital archive
So what's the machine the guy is pushing? The upright stick is probably for alignment/aiming for whatever gets done with this gizmo.

Last edited by loyalton; Aug 15, 2014 at 6:21 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 9:52 PM

NLA Scout

More to come...

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 11:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
More to come...

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Aug 16, 2014 at 3:47 AM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 12:21 AM
Comfortably Numb

Knows how to make an entrance...

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 2:59 AM
I Like Turtles!

Absolutely brilliant, Graybeard! I'll have nightmares about this for weeks! Two thumbs up!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 4:19 AM

[QUOTE=loyalton;6692424]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post

So what's the machine the guy is pushing? The upright stick is probably for alignment/aiming for whatever gets done with this gizmo.
I think it's a plate compactor, a machine with a big vibrating plate that is used to settle and compact loose paving materials.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post

Cheers,

Earl

I agree. Not only did the racehorse scene add nothing to the film. it caused the entire scene at the DA's
office (where the complicated plot was somewhat cleared up) to be entirely cut from the film. However,
the 1940's audience loved the racehorse scene, which I guess, proves that people were just as shallow
back then as they are today.

The Big Sleep, Warner Brothers, 1945

MichaelRyerson: Re: Reece Mason - Yipes!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1612havenhurstdrive View Post
"Stop!" I wanted to shout inanely 500 pages ago, "I'm trying to catch up!" -- Six months of reading, one month just in the last dozen of pages, in a vain attempt to make this all last longer. The closer I got to the end, the more I realized I was reaching today's real time, where the stories would end, and I'd have to start writing my own. I have to thank folks like the GaylordWilshires, the lorens, the collection of Martins, and especially the fostering E_R, amongst EVERYONE here, for an incredible journey through our collective histories.

I come bearing gifts, like any good first-time visitor to your world. Lived here in LA for the last 26 years since going through college, where I spent hours lost in old USC yearbooks in various libraries around campus trying to piece together the histories of that small area of town, and dwelled here in the 'Crescent Heights' subdivision of West Hollywood for two decades, gathering local lore and history through 4am jaunts lost in blogs along the internets.

Want to see an inside last look at Perino's, circa 2002? In a moment...i'm still saying Hello! ...it's taken a long time traveling here to be able to do so. So many times in reading the forum, I've shouted "that's right there!" wanting to write immediately, but within pages we receive all the correct answers (sometimes some false information at first, but it always seems to get settled out), so I learned a lot of patience to read everything before jumping here. You all are awesome.

So yes, E_R, you have legions of followers coming up reading through the ranks of pages, all with more information and stories coming, I'm sure. Here are a few topics I've been waiting to speak about (and will get to mentioning further in separate notes, now that I've reached "hello!" status here, and apologies for just an introductory tease)... AIP/Movietown Plaza, Aldous Huxley living near The Huxley, Barney's Beanery/ABC rumors, Rexall Owl Drugs and the Doors of Perception, mountain removal at the top of Laurel Canyon, the fabulous Quonsets of the Culver City Airport, Northridge Quake and Santa Monica's 4th street (including the Central Tower red-tagging), Exposition trains of 1986, the Byrds basement rehearsals, more of Crescent Heights, and Perinos.

As for Perino's, and a first attempt at posting from Imageshack, it was used for filming long after it fully closed as a restaurant, as we know. I spent two days there during the music video filming of "Are You In?" from the rockband Incubus in 2002. The couches, chandeliers, lamps, furnishings, and kitchen equipment, we were told, were all as original as the place could be after all those years. The entire video was shot inside old Perino's, so freezeframe to your heart's content.

Youtube "Are You In?" :
Video Link

http://imageshack.com/i/f0dbY3qJj

http://imageshack.com/i/hj2MzycIj

http://imageshack.com/i/ewppKQYRj

http://imageshack.com/i/p6K84tFaj

http://imageshack.com/i/ezXWuYxJj

http://imageshack.com/i/ewf974hkj

All images copyright Sony BMG Music Entertainment.

I'm very excited to be at the end of your storytelling, and looking forward to much more!
- 1612havenhurstdrive (aka in real world, brett)
Isn't this site THE BOMB, Havenhurst?! I spend weekend night here, loving every minute. Welcome!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 4:55 AM

From the L. A. Times:

L.A. Times

1936 tunnel opening in Santa Monica
Posted By: Scott Harrison
Posted On: 12:21 a.m. | August 13, 2014
Feb. 1, 1936: Dedication of new tunnel in Santa Monica linking Roosevelt Highway with Olympic and Lincoln boulevards.

Staff photographer Bob Jakobsen’s original caption reported:

Scene near tunnel opened yesterday (Saturday – Feb. 1, 1936) afternoon in Santa Monica, as another important link was added to the Roosevelt Highway system. Hundreds crowded the scene despite a drizzling rain as county, state and city officials dedicated the tunnel, located at the head of Santa Monica pier. The tunnel was formerly used, before its reconstruction into a much larger capacity road, by Pacific Electric Streetcar system.

An article in the Feb. 2, 1936 Los Angeles Times reported:

SANTA MONICA, Feb. 1. (Exclusive)–A drizzling rain today failed to hold back a crowd that witnessed the formal opening of the new 400-foot tunnel in Santa Monica linking Roosevelt Coast Highway traffic with the coast route south, Olympic Boulevard and arteries to metropolitan Los Angeles.

The new bore, costing $200,000, running under Ocean Avenue along Colorado Avenue, was formally opened to traffic by Earl Lee Kelly, State Director of Public Works. The ceremony was preceded by a parade headed by the Santa Monica Municipal Band. …

The tunnel became known as the Olympic Tunnel. In 1969, it was renamed the Robert E. McClure Tunnel – honoring the former editor of the Santa Monica Outlook. Today the tunnel connects the Santa Monica Freeway and Pacific Coast Highway.

L.A. Times

Feb. 1936: A new Ford V-8 Fordor sedan exits the new tunnel in Santa Monica onto Olympic Boulevard, which leads to Lincoln Boulevard. The tunnel connected those streets with the Roosevelt Highway. Credit: Los Angeles Times.

Today:

Google Street View

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 11:21 AM

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post

L.A. Times
The turreted building above the tunnel is the Deauville Beach Club. It has made several previous appearances on NLA, including post #20139, also by FredH.

I found this 1927 picture of the western end of the tunnel when it still only had to accommodate a single PE track. On the right is the Santa Monica Bath House and Pier Auto Park.

USC Digital Library

A similar view today.

GSV

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos