HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 4:06 PM

Market Street Place

A couple photos of Market Street Place from this morning. The exterior is nearly complete.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 12:24 AM

cwilly - thanks for the update for Market Street Place. I'm always on the MUNI & never get a good look at the building. I find it to be a beautiful, handsome building.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 2:10 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Assuming it fills up with stores that appeal to locals and tourists, Market Street Place will be a game-changer for a block that never fully recovered from the disruption of BART/Muni subway construction. The design will likely help. The glass facade will glow brightly, and show off what's for sale on each floor, visually announcing a sea shift along this stretch of Market.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 4:08 AM
Build Baby Build

I doubt it will be open for Back to School..but be prepared for it to be packed for Christmas season. More foot traffic, restaurants, and stores is always a good thing.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 10:01 PM

I'm sure everybody's already seen this.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...ower-site.html

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 11:26 PM
dazzle me

that's not a supertall (300m+) and also, it won't be our last. foundry square was a colossal error and those will, i'd gather, all four end up there.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 1:11 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Assuming it fills up with stores that appeal to locals and tourists, Market Street Place will be a game-changer for a block that never fully recovered from the disruption of BART/Muni subway construction. The design will likely help. The glass facade will glow brightly, and show off what's for sale on each floor, visually announcing a sea shift along this stretch of Market.
While not the most architecturally stirring example, the retail structure just south of and facing Union Square in Manhattan has just the sort of presence you described, with stores like Whole Foods, Burlington, Forever 21 and formerly a Filene's Basement. It is all glass and is of extraordinary visual interest, especially at night, and demonstrates a sense of importance to that particular corner of Union Square, and in a larger sense, the surrounding neighborhood.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 5:56 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall/awkward View Post
I'm sure everybody's already seen this.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...ower-site.html

I like it!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 6:05 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
that's not a supertall (300m+) and also, it won't be our last. foundry square was a colossal error and those will, i'd gather, all four end up there.
I realize I'm in the minority here, but I love Foundry Square's uniqueness in such an urban setting, think it creates an interesting interlude among the towers, and have architectural friends who feel likewise. It isn't going anywhere for a long, long time and certainly wasn't "a colossal error" imo. They form a perfect backdrop to the south side of TT's rooftop park, allowing it to receive much more sun while not being boring boxes.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 6:13 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Foundry Square took some of the only parcels in this part of the world where skyscrapers could have gone--seriously, almost none of Northern California is zoned for actual skyscrapers--and wasted that potential with squat buildings more suitable to similarly-scaled areas like Mission Bay, South San Francisco, Santa Clara, San Jose, etc.

But whatever. Foundry Square brought the suburbs to the Financial District, and we have to live with it.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 6:42 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Really digging that new tower!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
I realize I'm in the minority here, but I love Foundry Square's uniqueness in such an urban setting, think it creates an interesting interlude among the towers, and have architectural friends who feel likewise. It isn't going anywhere for a long, long time and certainly wasn't "a colossal error" imo. They form a perfect backdrop to the south side of TT's rooftop park, allowing it to receive much more sun while not being boring boxes.
I understand both arguments about Foundry Square. The design is not spectacular but neither is it horrible. The height thing doesn't bother me much for now. It will give a better view of all the new towers and provide future redevelopment opportunities. I agree that its best not to have only skyscrapers lining the sides of TBT rooftop park. This is not Dubai circa 2005.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 7:23 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Foundry Square took some of the only parcels in this part of the world where skyscrapers could have gone--seriously, almost none of Northern California is zoned for actual skyscrapers--and wasted that potential with squat buildings more suitable to similarly-scaled areas like Mission Bay, South San Francisco, Santa Clara, San Jose, etc.

But whatever. Foundry Square brought the suburbs to the Financial District, and we have to live with it.
We can only wish that many (most?) of the buildings in Mission Bay were at least as interesting as Foundry Square.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2016, 4:38 AM

Nice shot showing the Transbay Terminal, Salesforce Tower, 181 Fremont, and 33 Tehama (formerly 41 Tehama) under construction. Also, the parcel where 546 Howard (Parcel F) will rise.

SF Building Boom by Ted, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 4:37 AM
dazzle me

foundry square is an absurdity in context. all four of those corners should be 650-1000 foot towers, because, as flint said, there literally nowhere else to build them. i'd be okay with those buildings if could build somewhere else, but we can't. i would be willing to bet that one of those four sites will have a development application pending inside of 10 years.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 1:45 AM
heavy user of walkability

across Clementina Alley from Solaire, it looks like work may have started on the other part of the block 6/7 complex. this is from last week:

in Dogpatch, here is the northern project on Indiana...

... and as seen from the freeway:

... while this is the southern Indiana project, with the one on 23rd St in the distance:

Potrero1010 is seeing more foliage for Daggett Park:

and the skyline from Bernal Hill again, now in summer colors

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 7:40 PM

^ Wonderful pictures!

From the Bernal Heights one, it's evident that both 400 and 500 Folsom will have big impacts on the skyline from that angle, in addition to SFT and 181 Fremont.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 9:44 PM

Any reason why 50 1st isnt on the renderings of Parcel F?

Foundry Square has always seemed disappointing to me since the start of this construction boom. It really belongs in Mission Bay or San Jose. Does anyone know the average time it would take for it to pay for itself? I know thats not a simple calculation, but I can't imagine the owners wouldn't want to build taller and make more money long term.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 11:11 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeff View Post
Foundry Square has always seemed disappointing to me since the start of this construction boom. It really belongs in Mission Bay or San Jose. Does anyone know the average time it would take for it to pay for itself? I know thats not a simple calculation, but I can't imagine the owners wouldn't want to build taller and make more money long term.
From today's SF Business Times:

"Tishman Speyer’s 290,000 square-foot Foundry III at 505 Howard, could sell for upwards of $1,000 per square foot."

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...es-brexit.html

This complex isn't going anywhere for a very long time for economic and political reasons.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 3:28 AM

Salesforce & 181 Fremont

A view from the new addition to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. Today was my first visit. I like the public areas - gardens, restaurant, cafes. I don't dislike the new building but think it would have benefited if built elsewhere. 07/07/2016

Construction: Salesforce & 181 Fremont

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations