HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 1:16 PM

What am I even looking at? Looks like a bird cage now...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 3:09 PM

Glass floor walkway? People testing their balance by walking on a pergola?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 5:22 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Very avant-garde... Looks more like a concept you would see in tech magazines. Not exactly sure what’s going on though.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 6:02 PM

That's the least useful rendering I've seen since the one of the Incredible Shrinking 30-Storey Bayers Lake Hotel

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 6:48 PM

Oh good! HRM's first vertical vineyard. I never knew we needed one. Surely it will produce well.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Guy View Post
Oh good! HRM's first vertical vineyard. I never knew we needed one. Surely it will produce well.
Being northend Dartmouth, those are more likely to be weed plants.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 9:16 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

This proposal will be a good source of comedy, I look forward to the jokes coming from future renderings and reactions to the final product.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 12:40 AM

The Ghoshn family own or manage the apartment complex where the drug dealers met the
lone police officer this weekend. The haul included 2 lbs of cocaine. They should be more careful who they rent to.
https://www.halifaxtoday.ca/police-b...-night-3585249

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
The Ghoshn family own or manage the apartment complex where the drug dealers met the
lone police officer this weekend. The haul included 2 lbs of cocaine. They should be more careful who they rent to.
I mean it's fun to hate on them, however everyone even the bad guys need a place to live. I think this is an unfair statement.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
What a cheap shot.

Drug deals - and more than one of them - have occurred on Dahlia Street too.

Last edited by Saul Goode; Mar 30, 2021 at 12:56 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
What a cheap shot.

Drug deals - and more than one of them - have occurred on Dalia Street too.
That's Dahlia, BTW, and I'm sure they have occurred everywhere in HRM. Crime isn't limited to any one area of any city.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
That's Dahlia, BTW
Thanks for picking that up. I definitely know better; I'm just a really lousy typist.

Anyway, if Mr. May, who lives on Dahlia, has any awareness of his neighborhood then he knows what I said is true - which only emphasizes what a cheap shot it was.

Last edited by Saul Goode; Mar 30, 2021 at 1:29 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for picking that up. I definitely know better; I'm just a really lousy typist.

Anyway, if Mr. May has any awareness of his neighborhood then he knows what I said is true - which only emphasizes what a cheap shot it was.
Usually I don't get picky about typos, but since it's my old 'hood, I had to. I was always amazed over the years how many people didn't know how to spell Dahlia...

FWIW, when I lived there, crime seemed to be pretty light. Oddly enough, though, the 'bad' areas seemed to be strangely concentrated in small pockets, while the rest of the 'hood seemed to be relatively safe. You got to know the areas where you should be more aware when walking through and all that.

That said, I've never been part of the drug culture, nor have I ever been part of law enforcement, so drug deals could have been going on in next door and I probably would have been oblivious.

Colin's comment seemed a little uncharacteristic for him based on what he's posted over the years, and I'll leave it at that.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Usually I don't get picky about typos, but since it's my old 'hood, I had to. I was always amazed over the years how many people didn't know how to spell Dahlia...
No problem. I'm a very meticulous speller myself (just ask my exasperated family and colleagues...) but inept on a keyboard and just didn't notice when it slipped by. Also, I grew up not far from there myself.

Quote:
FWIW, when I lived there, crime seemed to be pretty light. Oddly enough, though, the 'bad' areas seemed to be strangely concentrated in small pockets, while the rest of the 'hood seemed to be relatively safe. You got to know the areas where you should be more aware when walking through and all that.
I didn't mean to imply that the neighborhood was ever in any way unsafe. I've certainly never felt even remotely unsafe there, but I'm also aware of certain, um, shall we say, insalubrious activities in the area over the years.

Quote:
Colin's comment seemed a little uncharacteristic for him based on what he's posted over the years, and I'll leave it at that.
Agreed. I thought it out of character too, which probably made it doubly irritating.

Last edited by Saul Goode; Mar 30, 2021 at 2:27 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 5:42 PM

Quote:
No problem. I'm a very meticulous speller myself (just ask my exasperated family and colleagues...) but inept on a keyboard and just didn't notice when it slipped by. Also, I grew up not far from there myself.

I didn't mean to imply that the neighborhood was ever in any way unsafe. I've certainly never felt even remotely unsafe there, but I'm also aware of certain, um, shall we say, insalubrious activities in the area over the years.

Agreed. I thought it out of character too, which probably made it doubly irritating.
From reading your posts on this site, I was under no impression that you were anything but an excellent and careful writer.

The other stuff I wrote was just to add context, opinion really, as that is all I generally have to add to these conversations. (not a planning expert)

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 2:07 AM

I doubt you would find any drug deal on Dahlia that included 2lbs of cocaine. The Hells Angels were around the corner on Pine and there was never any problem. In 38 years I cannot recall any arrest on the flower streets like the one this week and none on this block. The east end of Rose was quite interesting.....

Last edited by Colin May; Mar 31, 2021 at 2:08 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 3:43 PM

I think a corner of this on Williams Street was sold to Boston Developments. They posted their next project on Instagram. Rendering at the link below.

Link to Boston Developments

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I think a corner of this on Williams Street was sold to Boston Developments. They posted their next project on Instagram. Rendering at the link below.

Link to Boston Developments
Nice find! Checks out, the rendering shows "1 Williams Street" which is tucked in beside the bridge. Now if only it was a bit more interesting of a design - they certainly have the height.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 4:49 PM
Cap the Cut!

Wow. Well this is a skyline changer. And stating this summer? Very cool. The design is bland but not all out bad. The Dartmouth end of the Mcdonald is going to become quite the residential node. Better get that Halifax end of the bridge fly-over ramp constructed asap.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 6:07 PM
Closed account

That's going to be quite the effect descending the bridge into Dartmouth.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth