HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 16, 2006, 11:44 PM

As promised here are some pics of the tram progress:
sorry this was taken throught a wind shield

upper station

on the upper station you can see just the tip of what looks like the shell to the right of the elevator shaff just above the trees
again i have more but used up all my bandwith on flickr, suggestion on how to get more or find a loophole?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2006, 5:20 AM

NEW Project Status Report - 7/12/06

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lower Station
Structural steel complete.
Doppelmayr finished installing tram equipment.
Work Tram control room started.

Tower
Erection of tower complete.
Doppelmayr to begin installation of saddles at top of tower July 13, 2006.
Bottom tower section is 20-feet wide by 27½ -feet tall by 90-feet long and weighs 260,000 pounds.
Middle tower section 18-feet wide by 17-feet tall by 60-feet long and weighs 112,000 pounds.
Top tower section 32-feet wide by 14-feet tall by 45-feet long and weighs 132,000 pounds.

Upper Station
Elevator/stair core topped out.
Interior electrical and control room floors complete.
Cantilevered slabs at intermediate access level complete.
Structural steel erection started.

Doppelmayr
Fabrication of structural, mechanical and hydraulic components complete.
Fabrication of electrical control systems by Frey complete.
Fabrication of cabins by Gangloff complete.
Rope pulling preparation work along Gibbs Street to start week of July 17, 2006.

Doppelmayr and Kiewit Contracts
60% of the revised Kiewit and Doppelmayr contracts have been billed.
$45.2 million billed to date for both contracts.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2006, 6:27 AM

I took these a few days ago from up at OHSU

Go By Aerial Tramway

Old Posted Jul 17, 2006, 3:10 PM

awesome pics Dougall and PDXstreetcar...I am absolutely amazed at how quick things are getting built on this tram.

Sorry Dougall, once you hit the flickr limit, you are screwed unless you purchase a package from them.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2006, 3:28 PM
Karma Police

Dougall, aren't there other free photo sites, like PhotoBucket?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2006, 1:15 PM

Tram to be strung up with temporary towers

OHSU - Throughout the project, traffic will keep on moving in neighborhoods and along Interstate 5
Wednesday, July 19, 2006
RYAN FRANK
So how do you thread five miles of rope over 3,400 feet through a neighborhood and across Interstate 5, a state highway and Terwilliger Boulevard?

Very carefully.

It's the city's biggest sewing project as crews began work to tie together Oregon Health & Science University to the South Waterfront district this week. Tram builder Doppelmayr CTEC will need five ropes for the job. Four will hold two tram cars aloft and one will pull the cars back and fourth.

Doppelmayr started the two-month project by building the first of seven temporary towers to carry the ropes up Gibbs Street and over the north-south streets. The towers keep traffic running while the project goes on above. "They're pretty minimalist," said Larry Beck, who lives along Gibbs Street and has lobbied against the tram because of its impact on the neighborhood.

Towers will go up first at First Street, Water and Kelley avenues, and Naito Parkway. Later, more towers will go up to carry the ropes over Terwilliger and Barbur boulevards and Corbett Avenue. A temporary bridge will stretch the ropes over Macadam Avenue and Interstate 5.

Then the real fun starts. With the towers and bridges built, Doppelmayr will slowly pull the rope uphill with winches in late August. During the five weeks it takes to lug the rope, parking along Gibbs will be closed, said Art Pearce, a city project manager. Then the towers and bridge will come down.

Doppelmayr builds trams for ski resorts in remote parts of the world. But Kevin Young, the company's Portland project manager, said this will be the first time he's strung ropes without shutting down streets below. The firm will use three crews for a total of 20 workers. Typical jobs require just one crew, Young said. Most of the workers will be flown in from Switzerland.

Eventually, the steel ropes that hold up the cars will carry 240,000 pounds of tension. Extra length in the rope, which is about two inches in diameter, will help extend each of the rope's life to about 40 years, Young said.

Construction noise has rattled some people who live along Gibbs, Beck said. He hasn't been able to park in front of his house during the day and now must look at a massive black utility pole in front of his house. "Everyone was surprised with at how big they were," Beck said.

The tram is still on its new budget at $57 million and on schedule to start moving OHSU employees by Dec. 15. A public grand opening is expected in January, said Rob Barnard, city project manager.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2006, 3:15 PM

^someone was up early this morning!

Actually I was reading the paper in a coffee shop this morning and was like, holy f*#k! I was wondering how they were going to do it. I can't believe in mid-August we will be seeing the tram wires...this is amazing!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2006, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan
^someone was up early this morning!

Actually I was reading the paper in a coffee shop this morning and was like, holy f*#k! I was wondering how they were going to do it. I can't believe in mid-August we will be seeing the tram wires...this is amazing!
It helps to get into work around 5:30. Plus, the company got me a new toy for scanning, so I thought I should try it out.

But yes, I was hearing rumors, from a different part of my company that has this project, that they were going to fly the pulling rope with a helicopter. And then pull in the cable later. Apparently, that is too dangerous for residents below.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2006, 2:19 PM
momentum

i thought the helicopter route was true too, but actually i think they are going to set up a series of jib-cranes and place the cable in the air, shut down Macadam and I-5 temporarily (night time or early morning?), and then once they have it draped about a series of points they will pull it taunt. should be exciting nontheless. the guide rails are up on the guide tower, and they look very cool!!!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2006, 12:43 AM

out-of-towners are going to drive by on I-5 and wonder what the heck is going on

Old Posted Jul 22, 2006, 11:03 PM

Long ride down the tram

Old Posted Jul 23, 2006, 12:52 AM

awg a question how do you get to go in the OHSU building? you are very lucky becaue those are some great views.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2006, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg

Beeee-utiful!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2006, 2:50 AM

from that picture it looks like each tower piece is a slightly differernt color, maybe its just me...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2006, 12:44 AM

Old Posted Jul 24, 2006, 4:58 AM

here are some pictures from tuesday that i couldn't post early becaue of flikr troubles
i only took two pics but here we go

thats all

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 4:38 AM

The tram tower has already improved the Portland skyline:

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 5:01 AM

portland looks so hazy in that picture
what is that crane for in front of the koin tower in the foreground?
edit:must be the heat

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 2:59 PM

Tram scaffolds going up

Residents and travelers in the Southwest neighborhoods between the South Waterfront and Marquam Hill soon will see signs of one of the most difficult stages of building the Portland Aerial Tram.

The erection of temporary metal scaffolds at key intersections will allow workers to string the ropes that will move gondolas between the tram’s upper and lower stations. The ropes are scheduled to be strung between the stations over the next few weeks without shutting down traffic on the roads they travel over, including the busy Interstate 5 freeway, Southwest Macadam Avenue and Terwilliger Boulevard.

They will then be used to string the cables that will hold the gondolas between the stations.

The work is being done by Doppelmayr, one of two private contractors building the tram for the city. By the time the work is finished, the company will have strung more than five miles of rope and cables between the stations.
http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/...78758469522000

Old Posted Jul 25, 2006, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxstreetcar
The tram tower has already improved the Portland skyline:
Is this going to be the new angle for the postcard shot of Portland?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure