HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 1:41 AM
A before E

Architecture W's House of Cards

A cute little video and a great idea...though I am not sure I am buying into the final product at all....it sort of looks like a horrible house to live in...but I figured I would show it off, the video is at least entertaining.

House of Cards

from Amber P at archdaily

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 2:39 AM

interesting...but not very practical...they've apparently never lived in an apartment (or house) with odd angles...the result is ALOT of wasted, unusable space. I'm also really tired of the trite, cliché mantras that are repeated by those who can't think for themselves..."honest expression of materials" sheesh...as if they are somehow being lied to by other forms of construction...grow up people, it is what it is. Along with "clean, simple lines" this has to be the most overused expression i keep seeing on this and other sites, used so often to justify anything that is bland, and without a shred of real originality.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 3:43 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboi View Post
interesting...but not very practical...they've apparently never lived in an apartment (or house) with odd angles...the result is ALOT of wasted, unusable space. I'm also really tired of the trite, cliché mantras that are repeated by those who can't think for themselves..."honest expression of materials" sheesh...as if they are somehow being lied to by other forms of construction...grow up people, it is what it is. Along with "clean, simple lines" this has to be the most overused expression i keep seeing on this and other sites, used so often to justify anything that is bland, and without a shred of real originality.
please tell us how you really feel about this. oh I dont disagree, actually I have met one of the guys that runs this firm and this is definitely the kind of things they do, though when it comes to household, it definitely is not practical.

Though I will say this, after watching the little video, my first though was, this is a firm with alot of free time on their hands lately because there hasnt been too many jobs to go around.

The whole "honest expression," that is mostly just poetic architecture crap, though I do like the idea of trying to use prefabricated materials and trying to understand ways to use them beyond what we are currently using them...nothing wrong with playing around with that idea.

But if this was a final project being presented at a final review, it would probably get torn to shreds.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 5:48 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I couldn't even imagine putting a figurine of Yoda in any architecture project.

Kudos to the architects for having the balls to pull that one off.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 5:10 AM
momentum

i love the little video. the concept is good, and maybe the form is subjective. I don't care much for the sculptural quality, althought I do appreciate the potential. SIPS or pefab wood panels have some incredible structural potential to make interesting and sculptural form that Meis could only dream of without the use of steel. Free time can lead to new discoveries, and I applaud the architects for trying new concepts - I just think the form is a little too obtuse, and like others the images do not support the concept of home as much as they do the concept of space and light.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > General Discussion