HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 5:56 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Kirkland Lake once numbered over 26,000 people.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I heard about that, and honestly never understood it. Why would anyone want to retire in such an isolated place with such a harsh climate? Is there really a large enough niche of people who would run toward a place like that in their seventies?
It was ludicrously cheap and one could theoretically use that money to spend time out of the country (say in sunny Arizona) during the winter.

As a long-term play? I don't know. Eventually the winters down south come to an end. Where one's kids are is important too. So, one might be spending one's eighties in podunksville alone.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
The Vancouver section of this forum is by far the most active. Wonder why?
Sure let's hear it.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 6:42 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Dryden is quite small. I've passed through it twice driving across Canada (late 80s and early 90s). Nothing really of note (there was a Moose statue as I recall), except that it was the first larger settlement encountered after a long drive westward from Thunder Bay. I believe it had a McDonald's, where I stopped once for a Big Mac combo. I recall thinking it was a utilitarian-ugly sort of place.

While Dryden does have a (small) downtown, most of the city's commerce is clustered along the TCH as it passed through. Lots of big box, fast food and small hotels. To me it has the vibe of a small Prairie city moreso than one in Northern Ontario - a stark difference from nearby Kenora. The reason for this is probably the same one you stopped there for as far as I can tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I heard about that, and honestly never understood it. Why would anyone want to retire in such an isolated place with such a harsh climate? Is there really a large enough niche of people who would run toward a place like that in their seventies?

It does seem like a bit of an odd one. I guess it's very cheap with easy access to amenities plus outdoor activities such as fishing or hunting? A lot of the homes are rented by the non-profit retirement corporation set up by the municipality so you don't have to worry about maintenance. Plus I guess that gives you an easy out?

Poor access to a major airport would be a major strike for me (well, among other things) - even a place like Sault Ste. Marie is much more accessible. I guess that doesn't matter as much to everyone, and apparently a lot of the people who ended up moving to Elliot Lake are northerners who took early retirement in their 50s so probably don't mind long drives as much.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 7:05 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Sydney has been pretty stagnant for the last couple decades but I think the area will start to grow significantly again as infrastructure in Cape Breton is upgraded and Halifax deals with shocks to its housing market. I would say it's completely overlooked at the national level and often even at the regional level, but it's a metro of ~100,000 with its own airport, seaport, university, college campuses, in a nice location next to the Bras D'or Lakes and Highlands National Park.
Cape Breton (do people still talk about "Industrial Cape Breton"?) experienced severe economic malaise starting in about the 1970's and this seems to have translated into a general feeling that everything there sucks and that's just the way of things but I'm not sure it will be true in the future. The economy around 2000 was a result of an acute lack of employment due to steel mill and coal mine closures.

The Sydney area is interesting in that it followed an industrial boom and bust pattern similar to the rustbelt of the US. It is not as old as most other Atlantic cities (1700's and early 1800's buildings) but it boomed around the 1890-1930 period and had 100,000 people in the 1930's. It looks like most people in the metro even today live in pre-war blocks. So today it has an abundance of dirt cheap potentially walkable neighbourhoods and it is in one of Canada's most scenic/outdoorsy areas (not right in the city but not far away).

The downtown is pretty depressing compared to what it was. If you made a top 10 list of buildings from 1930 I'd guess that only a couple are still standing. But it could be improved pretty easily with some infill. It also has a bunch of old brick and stone buildings that are in bad shape. I wish NS would create a "main street" program to help with that; not just focus on the oldest or most touristy buildings but the ones residents see regularly.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 8:43 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I would not call them "cities" but NS has a few substantial towns. Truro is one of these, already mentioned, with a census agglomeration population of just over 45,000. New Glasgow is about 35,000 and Kentville is about 25,000. Lunenburg County is similar but too spread out to be a CA.

They have very few highrises but they're getting urban infill projects and they generally have relatively large historic walkable cores.

Here are some from Truro:
https://townoftruro.maps.arcgis.com/...ca5f3ae5b7d5e8

Example:

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 9:04 PM

On SSP Canada, places that have prolific forumers will get disproportionately more attention than bigger places. In many cases, a lot of these forumers live in places that are typically considered "off the beaten path". So we read a lot about St. John's, Thunder Bay, Timmins and Rouyn-Noranda, Maple Creek, the Kootenays, etc.

Obviously we hear about the big cities, but the places that seem to be off the radar are, ironically, places that are considered to be in the heartlands of their respective of provinces: Cambridge, St. Catharines, Ste-Hyacinthe, Joliette, Nanaimo and Red Deer are all pretty big places that I rarely hear much discussion about on this forum.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
On SSP Canada, places that have prolific forumers will get disproportionately more attention than bigger places. In many cases, a lot of these forumers live in places that are typically considered "off the beaten path". So we read a lot about St. John's, Thunder Bay, Timmins and Rouyn-Noranda, Maple Creek, the Kootenays, etc.

Obviously we hear about the big cities, but the places that seem to be off the radar are, ironically, places that are considered to be in the heartlands of their respective of provinces: Cambridge, St. Catharines, Ste-Hyacinthe, Joliette, Nanaimo and Red Deer are all pretty big places that I rarely hear much discussion about on this forum.
London gets a large share of discussion, in no small part because of the number of us who either live there or used to live there who have been on SSP forever. I've been on SSP for 15 years as of this month and others have been here even longer.

We have a construction thread on the London SSP that dates back to 2005.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Sure let's hear it.
Sorry I meant it as a genuine question, does anyone know why Vancouver is the highest trafficked sub-forum in Canada (All of SSP?) by far?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Sorry I meant it as a genuine question, does anyone know why Vancouver is the highest trafficked sub-forum in Canada (All of SSP?) by far?
Because Toronto has Urban Toronto and Montreal has MTLUrb, but Vancouver’s main urban development forum is an SSP sub-forum.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 11:51 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Because Toronto has Urban Toronto and Montreal has MTLUrb, but Vancouver’s main urban development forum is an SSP sub-forum.
That's a good perfunctory answer, but I think most Vancouverites are generally happy and interested with the direction of development in the city.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Does it matter that it is a BC based website? (Dylan from Victoria)?
Also heard Vancouver posters prefer to stick to their own section versus posting in the national section. Unlike some other cities who love to talk about themselves in front of the ROC.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 12:07 AM

Somewhat similar to Vibrant Victoria which was an offshoot of SSP (same owners at the time) when it came into being in 2006. Before then there was too much Victoria content, lol with at least a dozen active members.

I just checked before posting, a little after 4:30 pm today and the Canada section on SSP had 908 active users and Vibrant Victoria had 352 - crazy.

Other stats, VV had 4,422 signed up members, 4,486 users is the most online at one time, and there are 608, 302 posts. A few of us, such as the Great Scaper try to share some Victoria content here on SSP. For all of SSP it would be nice to see triple the amount of unique and active users here for more variety and diversity. New voices, new perspectives, but are people engaging elsewhere on social media? Can SSP be more welcoming to new members, females, minorities? A few questions on a Wednesday evening.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
That's a good perfunctory answer, but I think most Vancouverites are generally happy and interested with the direction of development in the city.
I don’t really follow. What do Vancouverites being happy with the direction of urban development in the city have to do with SSP popularity?

Having lived in Vancouver, I would also dispute that. Anecdotally, very few Vancouverites seemed to be satisfied with how the city was developing. If you did a straw poll, my guess is that there’s a large camp of people who are gravely concerned about housing affordability, another camp who is concerned that the city is adding too many high rises and becoming too big too fast, and probably the largest camp of people who believe both of those things!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 12:22 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
I don’t really follow. What do Vancouverites being happy with the direction of urban development in the city have to do with SSP popularity?

Having lived in Vancouver, I would also dispute that. Anecdotally, very few Vancouverites seemed to be satisfied with how the city was developing. If you did a straw poll, my guess is that there’s a large camp of people who are gravely concerned about housing affordability, another camp who is concerned that the city is adding too many high rises and becoming too big too fast, and probably the largest camp of people who believe both of those things!
Sorry if that sounded glib, but I personally think this. Of course there is always the desire for more progress and those interested like to criticize and seek ideas for improvement. I think the level of interest is indicative of the speed of progress & transformation in the city. Sometimes criticizing Vancouver development seems a bit like criticizing Jeff Bezos for not going to the moon.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
London gets a large share of discussion, in no small part because of the number of us who either live there or used to live there who have been on SSP forever. I've been on SSP for 15 years as of this month and others have been here even longer.

We have a construction thread on the London SSP that dates back to 2005.
Almost the same thing for Sherbrooke, the SSP construction/projects thread dated back to 2006. It was decently active for a decade.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=119197

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 1:01 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Almost the same thing for Sherbrooke, the SSP construction/projects thread dated back to 2006. It was decently active for a decade.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=119197
I'm impressed that some photobucket images on that page still work. Of course the University of Sherbrooke link is dead now.

And Sherbrooke has passed 200,000, which lets you pick a fancier building from the civic building menu, or makes the city's tile look cooler, or something!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 1:23 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ Here's a small town thread I started in 2007, last post 2016.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=129408

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 3:17 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

thompson manitoba home of 2 winter testing facilities one for cars one for jet engins.
beleave a new airport terminal is being built.

best burger joint is called pop eyes been there close to 50yrs now on the 391.
large indian community there so opertunity for some good food lurks
big social issues with natives due to various issues that shouldnt exist but do........ stupid indian act and all the history that goes with that bs

the mine recently announced a 150million investment into a new air vent and shafts to expand operations.

no movement on the smelter it sits shuttered still shame. used to be the biggest customr of mb hydro gues some one should build some bit coin mines there lots of exess power and a grid to handle it....

all the ritch people dont live in thompson theyre out in paint lake 28kms west of thompson

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 3:57 AM

I think St.Catherines/Niagara has to be tops for the major centres. Considering it's the 13th largest metro in the country and a huge tourist destination, it gets very little attention.

Abbotsford/Mission has over 200k and gets no mention but in that case it's a good thing as it is truly the ugliest dump in the country.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada