HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:17 PM
BDR 529

^ im not sure I'd read too much into that graphic. There's zero evidence they have any involvement or interest in those regional proposals, most of which are in their infancy. I mean why is the NEC shown? Is Brightline proposing to compete with Acela and regionals? I doubt that.

Old Posted Today, 1:47 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^ im not sure I'd read too much into that graphic. There's zero evidence they have any involvement or interest in those regional proposals, most of which are in their infancy. I mean why is the NEC shown? Is Brightline proposing to compete with Acela and regionals? I doubt that.
It's all politics, bragging rights, who knows for sure.
Amtrak is difficult to compete against in the intercity passenger rail market.
They are the only train company that can enforce using your property to do business anywhere in the entire country. So watch out.

What I can not understand is why so many think CSX is overcharging Amtrak for using its tracks between New Orleans and Mobile when FEC charged Brightline a similar amount for using its tracks between Miami and Cocoa Beach. Easily a $Billion in track upgrades for multiple trains a day services. Amtrak's $100 Million track upgrade plan seems slightly low in comparison.

I think the cost differential can be attributed to the quality of the passenger rail service to be provided. 110+ mph speed trains vs 60 mph speed trains. I believe US passengers would prefer a top class well ran service; not the low ball, no frills services Amtrak wants to provide.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation