HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 3:24 PM

Just put this season out to pasture already and kill it and start fresh when people can go to games again with a new season in the fall. Fanless games are horrible to watch and would make the playoffs terrible.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 3:44 PM

If you are a hockey fan, you want play off hockey. And for the league it makes more sense to have play offs where you get high tv ratings.

The empty arena would be fine by me. You would be able to hear everything that is going on on the ice. Could be interesting.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 3:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
The empty arena would be fine by me. You would be able to hear everything that is going on on the ice. Could be interesting.
You might not want to hear everything that is being said on the ice.

Maybe they could use a 15 second delay, and have some alert fellow ready to press the "bleep" button.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 3:50 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
If you are a hockey fan, you want play off hockey. And for the league it makes more sense to have play offs where you get high tv ratings.

Exactly. Far from ideal, but get er' done.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 3:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Exactly. Far from ideal, but get er' done.
I also agree that they should come up with some tournament style playoff format to complete the year.

Empty stadia are fine as far as I'm concerned, and since there won't be any fans, they might be better off playing the games in smaller community arenas anyway, as long as they are able to find good camera positions for the telecast.

I imagine TV ratings would be through the roof, given how starved everyone is for sports action these days........

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 4:38 PM
arf

Quote:

I remember when the announcers in Quebec were on strike during the playoffs and watching the games just listening to the game and the crowd noise. They were some of the best games I watched of hockey on TV. I would certainly appreciate the chance to see games without the crowds, although I'd want to be able to turn the announcers off and just listen to the game. To the skates on the ice. The sticks. If we could turn the announcers off it would probably be the perfect broadcast. Just the players and the game.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 4:51 PM

Have the games treated like shows with canned applause. New position in the broadcast truck to hit the cheering button, all the chants, random yelling etc etc etc.... I jest of course but as I type this it would add some nice background if done right

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 2:09 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I remember when the announcers in Quebec were on strike during the playoffs and watching the games just listening to the game and the crowd noise. They were some of the best games I watched of hockey on TV. I would certainly appreciate the chance to see games without the crowds, although I'd want to be able to turn the announcers off and just listen to the game. To the skates on the ice. The sticks. If we could turn the announcers off it would probably be the perfect broadcast. Just the players and the game.
It was absolutely delightful, I agree.

I wonder if there could be a function to turn off announcers given the way things are going with streaming.

I realize that announcers are sometimes required for colour commentary, but for a fast-moving sport like hockey you don't really need them. It's one of those holdovers from the radio era.

In a sport like baseball, I guess they need the announcers to fill the interminable dead time when nothing is happening.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 2:57 AM

Quote:
I would certainly appreciate the chance to see games without the crowds, although I'd want to be able to turn the announcers off and just listen to the game. To the skates on the ice. The sticks. If we could turn the announcers off it would probably be the perfect broadcast. Just the players and the game.
You've basically had that opportunity with Panthers and Coyotes games over the years, but with announcers. Sure, the arena wasn't completely empty - but many times there was no more than 7,000 fans in the stands and it was damn quiet. It really took away from the atmosphere. A completely empty arena would be that much worse.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 3:10 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
You've basically had that opportunity with Panthers and Coyotes games over the years, but with announcers. Sure, the arena wasn't completely empty - but many times there was no more than 7,000 fans in the stands and it was damn quiet. It really took away from the atmosphere. A completely empty arena would be that much worse.
I would certainly agree that announcers with no fans would suck. I need something to drown the announcers out, but take the announcers out and get an opportunity to watch the best players on the planet and just listen to the game is what interests me. That could be incredibly special for those of us that just love the game. It's not going to happen, but I'd love to just watch and listen to the players on the ice.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 7:18 PM

More Bettman comments today. Sounds like he wants to finish at least part of the regular season.

https://www.tsn.ca/commissioner-gary...-nhl-1.1466502

Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 8:48 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
although I'd want to be able to turn the announcers off and just listen to the game. To the skates on the ice. The sticks. If we could turn the announcers off it would probably be the perfect broadcast. Just the players and the game.
I dream of the day where I have the option to switch commentators off on a broadcast.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 8:54 PM

Since most of the games are on Sportsnet, it would be an interesting option to be able to switch to the other commentators. For example, When it’s Calgary Vancouver on Sportsnet, what difference does it make whether you watch on Pacific or West, but they black out the West feed when it’s the same game.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Since most of the games are on Sportsnet, it would be an interesting option to be able to switch to the other commentators. For example, When it’s Calgary Vancouver on Sportsnet, what difference does it make whether you watch on Pacific or West, but they black out the West feed when it’s the same game.
They want you to subscribe to Game Centre or Centre Ice, that allows you to get all the regional broadcasts.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 3:27 AM
Go Chiefs!

Andrei Markov announced his retirement today. Sad day. My favorite hockey player of all-time and the best Habs defensemen in the past 30 years.

Thank you Andrei for all the great memories...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 7:25 PM

Anthony Leblanc hired by the Ottawa Senators as president of business operations.

Melnyk and Leblanc together at last!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 7:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Just put this season out to pasture already and kill it and start fresh when people can go to games again with a new season in the fall. Fanless games are horrible to watch and would make the playoffs terrible.
Do you have to be so frickin selfish?

I'm not forcing you to watch the games? I'm tired of people like yourself deciding for everyone else to shut down the season.

Every game played is a time when cops, paramedics, etc can breath a sign of relief knowing millions of people are at home where they belong.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 7:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
More Bettman comments today. Sounds like he wants to finish at least part of the regular season.

https://www.tsn.ca/commissioner-gary...-nhl-1.1466502
I'm 100 percent confident the decision has already been made.

Bettman is just playing coy to get NBC to pony up some of that summer Olympic money.

Bettman has leverage as long as he looks like he's unsure, and Bettman is a master at growing the sport. You think they're gonna sink billions into the sunbelt so they can piss it all away and call it quits.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 7:41 PM
arf

Ottawa, I am crying for you.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Andrei Markov announced his retirement today. Sad day. My favorite hockey player of all-time and the best Habs defensemen in the past 30 years.

Thank you Andrei for all the great memories...
The General. One of the best dmen in the world 2006-2010

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada