HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 2:30 PM

To me these renovations look like a hodge podge when comparing them to other malls also being renovated across Canada. I bet they’re spending $40 million, not $80 million on these renovations, which means they’re actually spending less than Center Mall’s renovations per square ft. Quite a shame when you look at the renovations happening at every other mall in Canada that are insanely beautiful.

You can also see into the new hallway and there’s a ton of For Lease signage. Shame they couldn’t get any new tenants other than a MEC that’s not going to spur much downtown activity. I’m not sure who’s in charge of attracting tenants and “selling” Saskatoon, but they sure suck at their job and are ruining it for everyone.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 11:52 PM

3 of the city's 5 Safeways will close and convert to FreshCo next year.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5680820/s...reshco-stores/

Any surprises?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
To me these renovations look like a hodge podge when comparing them to other malls also being renovated across Canada. I bet they’re spending $40 million, not $80 million on these renovations, which means they’re actually spending less than Center Mall’s renovations per square ft. Quite a shame when you look at the renovations happening at every other mall in Canada that are insanely beautiful.

You can also see into the new hallway and there’s a ton of For Lease signage. Shame they couldn’t get any new tenants other than a MEC that’s not going to spur much downtown activity. I’m not sure who’s in charge of attracting tenants and “selling” Saskatoon, but they sure suck at their job and are ruining it for everyone.
I wouldn't speak too fast re: not being able to attract new tenants. As per reddit and twitter, it appears and H&M is locked in, as is a much larger, street-facing Shoppers. Not new, but it'll be great to have more street access and longer opening hours for shoppers.

Considering the amount of movement of existing tenants, I'd imagine there are some challenges with the phasing of when spots will be available etc.

I've also heard rumors that they have turned down potential lessee's to ensure they get the right mix of tenants, particularly for the spots that could have their own street access (i.e. the spot kitty corner from the movie theatre).

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfgh View Post
I wouldn't speak too fast re: not being able to attract new tenants. As per reddit and twitter, it appears and H&M is locked in, as is a much larger, street-facing Shoppers. Not new, but it'll be great to have more street access and longer opening hours for shoppers.

Considering the amount of movement of existing tenants, I'd imagine there are some challenges with the phasing of when spots will be available etc.

I've also heard rumors that they have turned down potential lessee's to ensure they get the right mix of tenants, particularly for the spots that could have their own street access (i.e. the spot kitty corner from the movie theatre).
It looks like Regina's H&M will be a duplicate to Saskatoon's - which is very small for H&Ms and offers the bare minimum. I occasionally work near there in Regina and see that the traffic is fairly minimum and won't bring much increased traffic to the mall overall. The Food Court has brought in a ton of new traffic, but sales are still down year over year for most stores in the mall despite the increased foot traffic. In summary on the expansions to this mall:

-The Food Court basically has no new styles of food offered (pizza and chinese food already existed, no new healthy options or higher class restaurants like other malls offer), just looks different and needed to be upgraded desperately. All food courts are moving upstairs to pull shoppers upstairs into malls. Per capita this investment into the food court is a lot lower than other malls getting investment across canada. (ie. https://dailyhive.com/toronto/union-...en-november-26 ie. https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/city...rt-photos-2019 )

-Shoppers expansion will mostly offer the same services Sephora currently offers (Sephora is expanding into the old Shoppers to my knowledge).

-H&M offers the same clothes for the same price as Urban Planet

-MEC offers the same products as Sportchek.

-The new rider store will not have any competitors and will be an additional incentive to attracting visitors to the mall LOL

How much duplication can the mall get. These poor existing tenants that already have seen their sales drop substantially because of online sales rising now have new competitors in the mall that don't bring in new foot traffic, just take from their existing sales. Sorry to be grim about this mall but, yikes - completely going the opposite direction of other malls in cities of the same size.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 1:48 AM

If you were Cushman and Wakefield, why invest top dollar in a downtown property frequented primarily by vagrants and where most folk don't go because they have everything they need in Stonebridge, University Heights, and Brighton?

Quote:
It looks like Regina's H&M will be a duplicate to Saskatoon's - which is very small for H&Ms and offers the bare minimum. I occasionally work near there in Regina and see that the traffic is fairly minimum and won't bring much increased traffic to the mall overall. The Food Court has brought in a ton of new traffic, but sales are still down year over year for most stores in the mall despite the increased foot traffic. In summary on the expansions to this mall:

-The Food Court basically has no new styles of food offered (pizza and chinese food already existed, no new healthy options or higher class restaurants like other malls offer), just looks different and needed to be upgraded desperately. All food courts are moving upstairs to pull shoppers upstairs into malls. Per capita this investment into the food court is a lot lower than other malls getting investment across canada. (ie. https://dailyhive.com/toronto/union-...en-november-26 ie. https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/city...rt-photos-2019 )

-Shoppers expansion will mostly offer the same services Sephora currently offers (Sephora is expanding into the old Shoppers to my knowledge).

-The new rider store will not have any competitors and will be an additional incentive to attracting visitors to the mall LOL

How much duplication can the mall get. These poor existing tenants that already have seen their sales drop substantially because of online sales rising now have new competitors in the mall that don't bring in new foot traffic, just take from their existing sales. Sorry to be grim about this mall but, yikes - completely going the opposite direction of other malls in cities of the same size.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ralph View Post
If you were Cushman and Wakefield, why invest top dollar in a downtown property frequented primarily by vagrants and where most folk don't go because they have everything they need in Stonebridge, University Heights, and Brighton?
As the property managers and not the investors, cushman has nothing to do with the investment size or decisions Queen Ralphie! Get up to speed here lol

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 1:16 AM

You must be smoking a bit too much of the newly legal green stuff if you think Cushman has no involvement in investment in the properties it manages.

Quote:
As the property managers and not the investors, cushman has nothing to do with the investment size or decisions Queen Ralphie! Get up to speed here lol

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ralph View Post
You must be smoking a bit too much of the newly legal green stuff if you think Cushman has no involvement in investment in the properties it manages.
It's ok to admit you're wrong. The mall is owned by KingSett Capital. Cushman is a third party manager. Do you think Cushman owns all the properties it lists for sale and lease too?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 4:12 PM

Quote:

At 25,550 sq ft, Regina's H&M is not small for an H&M. Sure they have a giant flagship at Eaton's Centre, but most of their stores are smaller than Regina's.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
At 25,550 sq ft, Regina's H&M is not small for an H&M. Sure they have a giant flagship at Eaton's Centre, but most of their stores are smaller than Regina's.
Also, not to be petty, but H&M does not equate with Urban Planet. I don't know anyone, myself included, who buys stuff from Urban Planet, but I do know many, many people who hit up H&M when they are in larger centres.

Same goes for MEC vs Sport Chek. There is some overlap, but it's almost entirely a new target market for the mall. MEC at Midtown is a huge score and it will be a regional/provincial draw.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 6:41 PM

Old Spaghetti Factory moving into former Saskatoon Station Place location

The Canadian fast-casual chain will take over the iconic Saskatoon Station Place Restaurant, which closed its doors in June.

SASKATOON STARPHOENIX Updated: August 16, 2019

Fans of all things carbs and carbonara can look forward to having an un-spaghett-able time when the Old Spaghetti Factory opens its doors in January.

[........]

Read More:
https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...place-location

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 12:15 AM

New Faces New Places: Used bookstore a downtown paradise for readers

ERIN PETROW, SASKATOON STARPHOENIX Updated: August 24, 2019

Aimee Martens never expected that she would one day own a bookstore, but after a friend made the suggestion five years ago, she just couldn’t get the idea out of her head.

Though she knew it would be her dream job, Martens said she was initially nervous about taking the plunge after watching many local bookstores shut their doors.

“I was wondering what we could do differently to make it work because books are going through a challenging time right now,” she said.

[........]

Read more:
https://thestarphoenix.com/business/...se-for-readers

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 2:55 AM
BANNED

I’m in Saskatoon right now and tried to go to Finn McCools and it is closed, permanently. What the heck!?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 3:22 PM
Registered Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
I’m in Saskatoon right now and tried to go to Finn McCools and it is closed, permanently. What the heck!?
I was quite surprised to see the same thing on their Facebook page. It appears that their last night on Friday and shuttered their doors thereafter. It's kinda sad as it was a nice place to grab a bite or drink after a movie.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCricket View Post
I was quite surprised to see the same thing on their Facebook page. It appears that their last night on Friday and shuttered their doors thereafter. It's kinda sad as it was a nice place to grab a bite or drink after a movie.
Hopefully Cineplex just didn't renew their lease and is expanding the games portion of the theatre. There's definitely more money in that and Cineplex is definitely hurting over the new movie theatre in Brighton - I live a 10 min walk from the downtown one but the recliners in Brighton are just way too comfy to pass up.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 3:52 PM

I'm surprised to hear about Fionn's. Seems to me like a decent location, or will be once River Landing is completed and fully occupied. I know that construction workers from there frequented the place, but it generally didn't seem all that busy, so I guess it's not a big shock.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 3:53 PM

Second Cup is open downtown today! Hopefully this adds some good walking traffic and rejuvenates that street. I ordered a Pi.co pizza at the mall yesterday and got harassed for it walking home right next to Second Cup - not sure why that's such an attractive area for harassing people to sit and sleep.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 10:24 PM

Was just at a Nespresso in Calgary’s gorgeous chinook mall and they said it’s been announced that they’re opening.. (I’m assuming at Midtown?)

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 3:32 PM

Saboroso has rebranded to the Pickled Bean and will open next week.
Looks like another generic gastropub serving hamburgers, pizza etc.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 5:23 AM

Saskatoon’s Midtown Plaza Adding New Tenants Amid Centre Overhaul

September 20, 2019
By Mario Toneguzzi

Napper said Midtown Plaza has recently opened The Shoe Company in about 4,500 square feet. A deal has been done with Bellissima Fashions which will open in early October. Another deal has been done with Shoppers Drug Mart which is currently in 8,000 square feet but will expand to 15,000 square feet to include its Beauty Boutique concept. That will open in November.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...entre-overhaul

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan