HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Assessment value doesn't matter too much because property taxes are done on a proportional basis. It doesn't matter that the $600,000 property is assessed at $150,000 so long as the $1m property is assessed at $250,000.
my point was that the lower city has increased a lot faster since 2016 than the mountian has - a $150k property in 2016 has gone up to $600k, a 300% increase, while the typical suburban house has probably gone from $400k to $800-900k - "only" a 150% increase.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
perhaps we can have someone start a new thread about tax rates rather than flood the airport thread.

Thanks
yes!!!!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 10:44 PM

Eh, it's kind of related. With an active membership of like 15 people I don't see the point of creating hundreds of threads for individual specific topics. I get the organization piece, but with so few of us here, I don't think it really makes sense.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 11:30 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Perhaps we can have someone start a new thread about tax rates rather than flood the airport thread.

Thanks
There's this one... it's quite old, but seems to be the only one related to municipal taxes.
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=144626

I suggest a mod rename it and shift these tax posts over there.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2021, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Eh, it's kind of related. With an active membership of like 15 people I don't see the point of creating hundreds of threads for individual specific topics. I get the organization piece, but with so few of us here, I don't think it really makes sense.
Then I guess we could flood every thread with tax chatter and how every development is going to impact taxes? Honestly for me o don't care about the taxes in Hamilton at all. I don't live there but love the city and where it's headed.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2021, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Then I guess we could flood every thread with tax chatter and how every development is going to impact taxes? Honestly for me o don't care about the taxes in Hamilton at all. I don't live there but love the city and where it's headed.
Don't read it then, I don't care about every sentence you write out. No point in getting touchy about it, were all friends here.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Don't read it then, I don't care about every sentence you write out. No point in getting touchy about it, were all friends here.
Lol I wouldn't read it if it was in a tax thread. But when I see their is a new post in the airport thread, I expect to open it up and see a new post about airport developments not about taxes or anything else not related.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 1:46 AM

A new airline in Canada is launching on next Wednesday the 19th. It is called Lynx Air and is based out of Calgary. They have not said where they are flying yet. I expect that will be on Wednesday.

One interesting note, Vijay Bathija, former CEO of YHM is now their Chief Commercial Officer.

They are going to be flying B737-8 max aircraft. They have one already delivered. The company is/was enerjet so they have aircraft, personnel and the permits to operate.

www.https://www.flylynx.com/

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
A new airline in Canada is launching on next Wednesday the 19th. It is called Lynx Air and is based out of Calgary. They have not said where they are flying yet. I expect that will be on Wednesday.

One interesting note, Vijay Bathija, former CEO of YHM is now their Chief Commercial Officer.

They are going to be flying B737-8 max aircraft. They have one already delivered. The company is/was enerjet so they have aircraft, personnel and the permits to operate.

Don't expect them to announce YHM. Canada Jetlines is also launching this year from YYZ. I think Hamilton council needs to start questioning the people running YHM. I don't think they are doing near enough to build up passenger services. I think that majority of people prefer bigger airports because they have more amenities. I know people who pass by YHM to drive to YYZ when they could have gotten a similar flight from YHM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 2:54 PM

The biggest issue with YHM is the lack of flights. My partner has used YHM before when it worked, but with 1 -7 flights a week sometimes, it's hard to plan a trip around available flights. We had a trip to Winnipeg planned for my partner's work conference and YHM flight times just didn't work for the few days we were going to be there. We would have had to stay an extra two nights than planned. So YYZ it is.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 5:57 PM
Ham-burgher

I think there's only so much the airport can do -- the market is Toronto-focused and we're just too close, so Hamilton can be well served by Pearson. It doesn't make sense to gamble tens of millions of dollars on new passenger facilities without a guarantee airlines will actually want to fly here. We'll probably see it at some point, but I'd guess at least a decade or more from now and maybe longer... incremental investments will remain the way it gets done for a long time yet, in my opinion.

We've seen airlines do fairly well here if they provide enough service (like WestJet), but then when something opens up at YYZ they jump at it. There's just too much opportunity for business there with the available connections. If Pearson gets congested enough and can't add new service then we may see airports like Hamilton and Waterloo take the spill-over, but I think the way they've planned things there will be room to grow for a while (e.g., I believe Terminal 1 has a lot of capacity for expansion, maybe they eventually reconfigure the terminals to allow for gates on both sides and have passengers go through a new central hub that connects ground transportation to the terminals). And who knows what will happen with air travel post-pandemic: will it return to previous trends, and if so how fast will that happen? Or will we see a spike of travel due to pent-up demand, that levels off? Or will people be reluctant to travel globally as much as before?

I think if there's enough demand from new industry in Hamilton we'll see more flights. Doubt it will be enough to want to invest in brand new large terminal facilities, but that demand could also change the game.

The freight business is booming at YHM though, and that will probably grow and grow. And it's a money-maker. Airport management is doing well in that regard, I think.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Jan 15, 2022 at 6:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post

YVR, YYC, YYZ, and YOW are the launch destinations based on teasers.

Ever since Swoop went to Toronto, they've been shafting YHM from new destinations. I hope we get a good amount of new spots for Summer 2022. Hopefully, the 3 maritime routes that were supposed to launch in Summer 2020.

It will be interesting how YHM & YKF compare in terms of destinations this Summer. Flair is solidifying YKF as a base with more destinations, but fewer frequencies and with more destinations set to be announced in the coming weeks and months.

I haven't heard much from Swoop on their expansion plans, and I haven't even heard if they're getting more frames this summer, aside from the new one being based in Edmonton.

I miss the Summer of 2019 where we had about 8-12 daily flights.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 9:22 PM

Lynx Air announced their schedule today. They start April 11 to Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Kelowna and Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 9:28 PM

No Hamilton then.

I still hope Swoop expands US destinations going into the summer.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 6:07 PM

Regional airlines need business travelers to be sustainable. Business travelers want to have other flights to choose from, if for some reason they have to miss their booked flight. That is lacking at Hamilton because of the proximity to Pearson.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 7:42 PM

A new article anna.aero, Charles Duncan, President, Swoop, stated “Edmonton is an important base for us, as are Hamilton and Toronto, and we’re adding aircraft and services from these.”

He also stated, “For us at Swoop, we are getting back on the front foot now post-pandemic and planning for a lot of growth,” Duncan explained. “We started the pandemic with nine 737-800 NG aircraft and recently added our 10th. Our ambition is to have 16 aircraft for the coming summer, and ultimately grow to 30, so the excitement for our whole team at Swoop is that after an almost two-year pause we can now get on the front foot and focused on growth.”

Looking ahead, Swoop is focused on securing its new aircraft for the summer, which will then further inform its route development plans. “We’re deep in that planning process right now,” Duncan added. “We hope to have 16 aircraft, so 60% growth from the 10 we have now, and that will bring a whole lot of new routes. First, we need to secure the aircraft and have firm dates around when they’ll be entering service, and then we’ll have more route announcements to come.”

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 7:54 PM

bringing back destinations like Vegas, and adding new ones like Los Angeles, Nashville, Austin, etc. would be great, as well as expanding Florida flights to 7x weekly.

One can wish

And if I'm going to keep wishing, can we get some regional flights to places like Chicago, DC, and New York? I would love to be able to grab a cheap flight from Hamilton to NYC.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 9:05 PM

When Pan Am was here in Hamilton back in the early 80's, my wife and I would do 3 or 4 day weekends in New York City. We would take in a couple of shows, site see and enjoy great restaurants. I miss those days. It was so easy from Hamilton.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 11:35 PM
It's Hammer Time

I desperately need a break (on the verge of a burnout meltdown), and bringing back Las Vegas would be fantastic. I basically get the hotel for free, so I only need to pay for the flight.

I go to Vegas to relax, mostly hanging out by the pool. Plus, you get a lot of free stuff from Vegas (yes, free drinks, please), and everything is cheaper (even recreational marijuana). Plus, each time you go back, you get more free offers. Another tip, use Uber Eats, you can find tons of restaurants that offer zero fees. WAY cheaper than Florida.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 12:14 AM

Never been a fan of Vegas. If much prefer some cool cities like Portland, Denver, Pittsburgh, Boston and some warmer destinations. The resorts and tourist traps are meh for me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure