Put all three aside when I get home 42 46.67%
Just my phone always on my person, even at home 32 35.56%
Other 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Amusing, it's the opposite for me.

My phone hasn't been backed up anytime lately and is full of irreplaceable stuff (pictures and also some information and notes). It's the most precious of the three.

My keys - despite my efforts to keep my key set the slimmest it can be, there are a lot of keys on that ring. Keys to basements and storage areas and properties and some empty apts that I might be working on part-time. It's nothing irreplaceable, but still a PITA to have to replace.

Wallet - I rarely have any cash in it, and it's easier to have my few important cards reissued than to fully reconstitute my (not that small) key set.

So I'd sooner lose my wallet first, then my keys, and my phone would be the last.
Wow, that's quite interesting. I take some pictures with my phone and back them up maybe once a year, but my partner's the big picture taker, so if I lose my stuff, it's no big deal. It really depends how someone uses their phone; just a phone or an essential part of everyday life.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 2:43 AM

A few people were asking what's up with wearing our wallet in the back pocket (which I've always thought it was pretty standard, but maybe I'm stuck in the 20th century), but what's up with the cell phone in the back pocket? No ones afraid to break it, or lose it?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
A few people were asking what's up with wearing our wallet in the back pocket (which I've always thought it was pretty standard, but maybe I'm stuck in the 20th century), but what's up with the cell phone in the back pocket? No ones afraid to break it, or lose it?
I too wonder about that. Especially after all that new a while back about the new Iphone bending. A lot of girls I understand cus they have shit front pockets.

I'm phone in one front pocket, wallet/keys in the other (so the keys don't scratch the phone). Never could stand anything big in the back pocket. It's usually receipts, any other paper I receive during a day, sometimes loose cash, and now my mask.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
I too wonder about that. Especially after all that new a while back about the new Iphone bending. A lot of girls I understand cus they have shit front pockets.

I'm phone in one front pocket, wallet/keys in the other (so the keys don't scratch the phone). Never could stand anything big in the back pocket. It's usually receipts, any other paper I receive during a day, sometimes loose cash, and now my mask.
That reminds me, I carry my phone in a cell phone carrier on my belt. Very hard to find these days (right-sized for a smaller Smart Phone).

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 12:18 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Wow, that's quite interesting. I take some pictures with my phone and back them up maybe once a year, but my partner's the big picture taker, so if I lose my stuff, it's no big deal. It really depends how someone uses their phone; just a phone or an essential part of everyday life.
Absolutely essential. I photograph everything, obviously. Probably take 20-30 photos per day. Mostly city scenes but I do the annoying friends and food shots and the like too.

I use FB to keep in contact with all of my friends and family. It’s how we communicate. I almost never call or text - convos are in person or FB Messenger. Even with my grandmother.

We’re pretty good with putting them down when socializing. If we do have them up it’s generally part of the socializing - sending pics to whichever friend couldn’t make it, playing Jackbox, looking up more info about whatever we’re discussing, laughing at stupid memes, whatever. It’s never just all of us on our phones in silence. It’s always laughing, joking, socializing with the phones as part of it.

For example, yesterday jeddy1989, his husband, and I went out for pizza. Our two closest girl friends, J and K, couldn’t make it. We had our phones out updating them in the group chat about an insane thing Jeddy’s husband was telling us about. I posted a pic of the pizza to show them which we got. Etc. That’s how we use it.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 2:35 AM
The New Republic

Most of the time I just have 1 key and 1 debit card or bill (one or the other) with me. Most of the rest of the time I'll take my phone too. On a rare occasion I'll have a few keys (3 maximum), phone, and entire wallet (5 cards and a few bills) with me. Even my wallet is minimalist. It holds 5 cards and 5 bills maximum. I used to carry around all kinds of nonsense but found I'm fine with the few items I've chosen.

If I leave without my phone I'll check it before I go out then again in the late afternoon/evening when I get home. I try to check it at least daily.

Last edited by isaidso; Aug 20, 2020 at 2:49 AM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 4:02 AM
recession proof

I feel naked without my phone. Once I forgot it on my way to work and decided I'd rather be late than without my bestie.

I don't understand why people keep smartphones in belt clips -- looks very 80s (It's usually worn by middle-aged men for some reason.)

Another thing I don't understand: phone cases.

The only thing that I find annoying: people walking down the street video chatting with their friends.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
I feel naked without my phone. Once I forgot it on my way to work and decided I'd rather be late than without my bestie.

I don't understand why people keep smartphones in belt clips -- looks very 80s (It's usually worn by middle-aged men for some reason.)

Another thing I don't understand: phone cases.

The only thing that I find annoying: people walking down the street video chatting with their friends.
Smart phones in belt clips are usually used by people who just use a phone as a phone. Construction people often use them and they actually enable the ringtone.

Phone cases can be invaluable if you drop the phone. A $50 investment to protect in many cases a greater than $1000 investment. I've used one for years and the protection on the front keeps dust and dirt off the face. If you do take the case off you can see your phone basically in its out of the box pristine condition.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 11:39 AM

I’ve been using phone cases my whole life, except for my iPhone 11. The latest iPhones are built strong enough that they won’t crack if you drop them from up to 2 m. As I matter of fact I dropped mine plenty of times and it is still intact (except scratches on the corners) whereas my old phone managed to crack even with its case.

I use my phone 99.5% for everything leisure-related. I basically only use my personal laptop if I have to scan a document or put my virtual signature on something. I carry my phone around me around the house but not in my pocket, it is just sitting somewhere close.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 6:53 AM

I don't own a phone. Keys come out of my pants pocket and are tossed onto the nearest table as soon as I enter the house. Any spring/fall jacket or winter coat I wear is my de facto "murse", and I always keep my wallet and sundry items in their pockets.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 1:13 PM
sick transit, gloria

Generally everything remains in my front pocket so long I'm wearing jeans / real pants. When I used to change into "comfy pants" after work I'd usually just hold onto my phone and put wallet/keys on my bedside table. During COVID I've made a point of wearing jeans throughout the day so as not to get into the "working in pyjamas" thing that seems common for some (my wife included, except when she's on important calls). So they remain with me all day mostly based on habit - it does make it easier if I have to run errands on walks throughout the day.

Also, always front pockets, never back. The back has never seemed that comfortable to me and seems like an easy way to get stuff stolen, particularly if travelling abroad and not thinking too much about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My smartphone is locked but I suppose a good hacker might be able to get in there. A number of my bank accounts have autocomplete passwords for them when you open a browser window, so I guess there is a danger there.
I have my phone set to lock and delete itself if someone tries to access it unsuccessfully too many times. This is pretty easy with iphone and I assume so with android phones as well. I only started doing this while living in South Africa and lo and behold, my phone was in fact somehow stolen off the bar counter in front of me one night. I can only assume the combo of booze, late night and student neighbourhood, but I went over the CCTV with the bartender a week later (he became a decent friend of mine) and we couldn't spot anything. Anyways, it was extremely annoying but they weren't able to access anything personal, and all of my important data / pictures, etc. are saved on the cloud so once I bought a new phone it was like nothing had changed at all. Just an uncomfortably smaller bank account...

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 2:19 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I’ve been using phone cases my whole life, except for my iPhone 11. The latest iPhones are built strong enough that they won’t crack if you drop them from up to 2 m. As I matter of fact I dropped mine plenty of times and it is still intact (except scratches on the corners) whereas my old phone managed to crack even with its case.

I was adamantly anti-case for the longest time, but with my latest phone (Galaxy S10) I've reluctantly had to switch sides - newer phones are just too thin & slippery! If for nothing else, I just need a case to have something to grip onto.

To answer the question at hand: I bring my keys, phone, a couple cards - and now, of course, a mask - whenever I leave the house (unless just for a bike ride or jog or something). At home, my phone is usually on the coffee or bedside table, and the rest left in a bowl by the door.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 2:33 PM
video et taceo

Europeans love those weird phone wallet things where your phone lives in a little book with your credit cards, but just as I still use feet and inches for height, I remain very wary of making this transition.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 2:35 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
When I used to change into "comfy pants" after work

So much 2020 pathos in this one little fragment (he types in sweatpants, from bed, at 4:35 in the afternoon with his laptop connected to work via remote desktop).

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 6:38 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

I always stick my wallet and phone in my front pocket or if wearing cargo pants, any zippered pocket on my thigh. My cell phone, though, goes in a separate zippered pocket on my waist if wearing cargo pants. Back pockets were never very comfortable places for me to put my wallet or phone, especially when sitting down. They're also more likely to get stolen that way.

As for keys and fob to my condo building, I keep them tethered to my pants with a longish cord that I can attach by simply looping it around one of the belt straps. This way, I don't lose them, as I did once lose my keys years ago.

When I come home, I just throw all those on my dining room table, but yet keep my cell close at hand (though not usually in pocket), as I do not have a landline phone. Just before going to bed, I take all those, including my cell, to my bedside tables.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 7:20 PM

Wallet has gotten thinner over the years as I've "virtualized" most loyalty cards.
Keychain down to only a couple, too (house, car, backup bike lock, parents house). Phone which doubles as bike spedo clips onto my bars. Everything but that is in my backpack if I'm cycling to/from work. Otherwise, when riding, it's just a single CC tucked into the phone / bike interface and my Garmin Vivosport on my wrist. Wallet and keys stay home, then.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 7:25 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In my hand, or it hangs on a short wrist strap.

It also comes with an over-the-shoulder strap so you can carry it like a purse, but I don't use that. Too feminine for me.
Meant to ask: what do you do with it when you're at a restaurant?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 8:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Meant to ask: what do you do with it when you're at a restaurant?
I just set it down on the table. It doesn't take up that much space.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 6:59 PM

Fun thread.

For me, it's wallet, phone and wrist watch 99% of the time when I leave the house.

The car will start via and app, so if I'm driving, I'm about 50/50 on whether I take the car key or not. (I know, I know, kinda risky)

We have smart locks for the house and I don't have the faintest idea where my physical house keys are.

My wallet is a small card holder, usually with ~4 cards in it and occasionally a few folded bills that don't make it any more bulky. I tend to use Apple pay or pay through apps when available, so I've been leaving my wallet in the car more often or leaving the house without it altogether. When I have it, it's thankfully thin enough to comfortably fit in my back pocket.

My naked, uncased iPhone is always with me and usually in the other back pocket. As mentioned, it's partly my method of payment, but also my mobile office, my alarm clock, my calendar, my photo album, etc... oh, and I tend to talk on it quite a bit

I like to think of myself as a horology enthusiast and have acquired some very nice timepieces over the years. I wear a watch 99% of the time when I'm out of the house and about 50% of the time while at home or at my desk (home/only office). The watch I'm using will be on my wrist, next to me on my desk or kept in my watch box with the others.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 3:14 AM

I'm so full of shit.
As I type this (after voting that I put all three aside) I have my phone right beside me.
In my defence, I'm about to go to work.

I have a satchel that carries my phone, keys and wallet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada