HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 2:46 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

5400s & I-15 I assume.
The steel on this is already finished and I would imagine the skin of the building should be going up now. I drive past this when I head to WinCo.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 6:43 AM

Blue Sky Resort

I don't know if any of you have seen this yet, but this is just beautiful. Contemporary architecture with texture and material that speaks to its woodsy setting.

This was by AJC Architects and Big-D Contractors

Last edited by Orlando; Jan 21, 2021 at 1:55 PM.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 6:55 AM

Biofire Diagnostics Bldg out in west Salt Lake City

FFKR Architects & Okland Construction.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2021, 6:43 PM

Mountain View Village

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 9:07 PM
Space Magi

Miscelaneous Things

Here's a page I found that has some info and another image of the "Fashion Place West" TOD plan: https://vodaplan.com/portfolio/fashi...mall-area-plan

Also, Millcreek looks to be moving on its city center master plan fairly soon. A document on this page mentions that the new "Millcreek Common" is going to be breaking ground "early 2021." There's really a ton of information on this website, if you're looking to go down that rabbit hole. Here's some highlights:

Millcreek Common Phase I

General Millcreek Common Plan

Millcreek City Center Plan

New height requirements:

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 10:29 AM

That's awesome to see. I've been impressed with Millcreek's downtown master plan. I think it's the most interesting and ambitious of all of the suburban downtown plans I've seen. Good to see that they're still moving forward with it!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 1:15 PM

Fashion Place Mall is one of the most well attended and successful malls in the country. Still, I've always felt it was very underdeveloped, even after all of its most recent upgrades and additions. There's a lot that can still be done with the immediate area surrounding the Mall, even the immediate on-site parking at the north, south and west areas. Parking structures need to be added and a connected sizable hotel given the central location and easy access to the ski resorts and mass transit.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 5:07 PM

Delts, I was thinking the same thing recently about Fashion Place. Across the country suburban shopping malls are seeing a transformation into a more mixed-use destination where parking lots are being built on with more urban type of housing and hotel with some retail at the ground floor. I think Fashion Place, Valley Fair, and Southtown are all ripe for this. University Mall is already doing this. Provo Center Mall should start to do this.

We're seeing the industrial corridor stretching parallel along I-15 from SLC to Sandy being transformed, and it's fantastic. Add the density and housing in these under-utilized & neglected areas. (I thought that area was actually in Murray or Midvale)

Last edited by Orlando; Jan 17, 2021 at 2:49 AM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 9:13 PM

I like Millcreeks proposal. They realize they can create a downtown for themselves, but they also realize they aren't the core city in the region, and trying to be bigger and taller than SLC, or even Ogden or Provo for that matter. They are working within the boundaries they have and, if it happens as proposed, could be a great addition to the valley. I could also see it spurring a possible redevelopment of Brickyard into something much more urban as opposed to its current suburban nature.

I hope it actually pans out as they are proposing, that the NIMBY's don't come in and fight the residential component of it, like the ones that did in Holladay's core on Holladay Blvd

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 3:16 AM

I think the NIMBY element in that park of Millcreek is significantly less prominent than in Holladay, as far as I can tell. Some residential construction is already underway.

I drove down 3300 South today and could see the location of Millcreek Common being dug up, as well as the apartment building location near the old Villa Theater. It's really happening.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 3:15 PM

New Name New Location

Church of Jesus Christ renames temple planned for Tooele Valley, announces new location - https://www.deseret.com/faith/2021/1...community-utah

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 11:15 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
New Name New Location

Church of Jesus Christ renames temple planned for Tooele Valley, announces new location - https://www.deseret.com/faith/2021/1...community-utah
If locals are grouching over a single-family development — really nice expensive houses. for that matter.

I mean, can't exactly blame them for packing up and moving the entire project, right?

(Narrator: Erda would later regret their opposition when, in 2026 a Kohl's and an Exxon were built on that site.)

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 3:59 PM

There's a crane in Brickyard, here's some info

The Stack at Brickyard

https://www.zwickconstruction.com/post/the-stack

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
There's a crane in Brickyard, here's some info

The Stack at Brickyard

https://www.zwickconstruction.com/post/the-stack

This project looks nice. It's good to see infill coming to the Brickyard area, and with the Millcreek Downtown plan next door, this area could look radically different and denser in the next 5-10 years.

This is a great opportunity to really push for extending the S-line to Brickyard. And maybe this will encourage the owners of Brickyard to retrofit it to be more pedestrian-oriented.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 9:22 PM

I like that new Brickyard project, very nice. I am positive that over the next 20-plus years Highland Dr. between Sugar House and the old Cottonwood Mall property will emerge as a denser major upscale vibrant mixed-use corridor. A street filled with attractive apartments, condos, and village-type main street commercial nodes. It reminds me of what stretches of Ventura Blvd. have become here in L.A., particularly through areas like Studio City, Sherman Oaks, and Encino.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 7:15 PM

Question, does anyone on here know what the plan is with the old K-Mart on 900 E and almost to VanWinkle right across from the Walmart? They have that whole parking lot all fenced off, including the building that used to be a tire shop. It's been within the last couple days that I have seen fencing going up and all the semis that park in the parking lot are now starting to park on the outside of the fenced off area? I would love to see something like a WinCo over there (wishful thinking) because every time they put a WinCo it seems to help the area directly around it in a very positive way. Either way I've been curious and am probably looking in the wrong places but couldn't find anything on that.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 7:44 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerop View Post
Question, does anyone on here know what the plan is with the old K-Mart on 900 E and almost to VanWinkle right across from the Walmart? They have that whole parking lot all fenced off, including the building that used to be a tire shop. It's been within the last couple days that I have seen fencing going up and all the semis that park in the parking lot are now starting to park on the outside of the fenced off area? I would love to see something like a WinCo over there (wishful thinking) because every time they put a WinCo it seems to help the area directly around it in a very positive way. Either way I've been curious and am probably looking in the wrong places but couldn't find anything on that.
I did some digging and found out that this property was rezoned to mixed-use back in 2018 and a developer submitted plans to Murray city for a development called "Van Winkle Crossing." This project was approved by the Murray Planning Commission on December 5, 2019 and consists of 421 multi-family units and 21,000 square feet of retail and commercial space. I can't find any renderings or plans, unfortunately. The agenda packet for that particular meeting isn't linked on the Murray PC page.

Some more info from here.
Quote:
On the east side of Murray, on the former Kmart property (4600 S. 900 East), the City Council will be considered for approval, development of 421 multi-family units along with 21,000 square feet of retail and commercial space. Christened by the developer, Kimball Investment LLC, Van Winkle Crossing after the nearby Van Winkle Expressway, the development, however, will border 900 East.

According to Murray City Community and Economic Development Supervisor Jared Hall, “The development will maintain access to both the Ivy Place shopping center on the south and the single-family residential neighborhood on the west.”

The residential neighborhood that borders the property is part of Millcreek City, and some residents expressed concern about the size of the project and the potential loss of access, as there is technically only one road into the subdivision on the west. On the east, residents could also exit out into the Kmart property, but with a new owner, residents there feared losing that eastern access.

Millcreek residents told the Murray Planning Commission back in December that while they feared losing the eastern access point, they were also concerned about additional traffic using their roads to access Van Winkle. The developers decided to keep that access open. It will not be a dedicated road but will be part of the project.

The project will be developed in two phases. The first phase will include the construction of two high-rise multi-family residential buildings—one four-story and one five-story. The residential portion of the development will be located principally to the west, with resident parking bordering the Green Valley residential subdivision.

Commercial buildings will front 900 East with landscaping between the multi-family units along with 723 parking stalls to be shared by all tenants.

“The thought is that people living in the residential units will frequent the commercial establishments,” Hall said. “Throughout the residential and commercial portions of the project, the accesses are designed to look and feel more like streets with park strips and sidewalks with parking along the sides.”

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 8:43 PM

Along those lines, does anyone know if there are plans for the abandoned strip mall on 5400 South on the west side of Bangerter Hwy? I heard, a few years ago, that someone had big plans for that area but nothing seems to have materialized.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 2:12 AM

Thanks Atlas, that sounds like some good potential for that area in particular, if it is done well. The retail hopefully will be a boost for the shops that are right over there already to the south. And hopefully it will be designed with good planning for that area of 900 E, it already can get so congested over there during good chunks of the day, but I'm sure that with the right planning that can be overcome and make it a great addition to the area over there, certainly better than the vacant buildings sitting there now. Thanks for digging and finding that info for me.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 10:36 PM

Alan Matheson, executive director of Point of the Mountain Land Authority shares goals

https://www.lehifreepress.com/2021/0...-shares-goals/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West