HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 1:31 PM

American University

American University's 10-year expansion would make room for more students. Some neighbors are concerned.

By Jonathan Capriel
Washington Business Journal
Jan 8, 2021

"American University is looking to increase development on its campus by nearly one-third over the next decade, according to its recently submitted 2021 campus plan update — and avoid the community blowback that delayed development recommended in its last 10-year plan..."

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...expansion.html

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 9:09 PM

Union Market

Prince of Petworth has a photo of the development at 500 Morse Street, NE. This is about one block south of Union Market. The development will have 270 apartments.

Here is the before photo (via Prince of Petworth).

Here is a photo of the development (via Prince of Petworth).

Urban Turf has more information about this.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 9:24 PM
Show me the blueprints

^What's the story with the little hold out on the corner?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^What's the story with the little hold out on the corner?
Apparently, it is a historic structure. I think it has been altered so much at this point, that any historic value is questionable.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Apparently, it is a historic structure. I think it has been altered so much at this point, that any historic value is questionable.
Not speaking about this specific example, but I kinda like these little holdouts. It adds a little character, breaks up the uniformity, and is a reminder of what was there before.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 1:51 AM
Show me the blueprints

If it's restored it would be quite charming.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 1:42 AM

https://twitter.com/WBJNeibs/status/1349449096260677633

Another building under construction in the Union Market area. Permit issued Tuesday to go vertical at 440 Penn St. NE, a 13-story, 300-unit apartment building.

https://eca-pc.com/work/440-penn/

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 8:18 PM
BANNED

I’m a New Yorker who loves D.C. and visits yearly. The past few years, I haven’t ventured too far from the Mall/Museums and the Gallery Place area, so I haven’t been in a while to the other parts of downtown near K Street, Connecticut Ave., etc. In the past, that area was very clean but was, nonetheless, a depressing vicinity filled with tan concrete, Brutalist office blocks from the 60s and 70s. However, it seems from what I’ve read that an enormous amount of that junk has been redeveloped into beautiful new buildings. Is that largely correct or is the redevelopment not as vast as it seems?

This city is simply magnificent.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I’m a New Yorker who loves D.C. and visits yearly. The past few years, I haven’t ventured too far from the Mall/Museums and the Gallery Place area, so I haven’t been in a while to the other parts of downtown near K Street, Connecticut Ave., etc. In the past, that area was very clean but was, nonetheless, a depressing vicinity filled with tan concrete, Brutalist office blocks from the 60s and 70s. However, it seems from what I’ve read that an enormous amount of that junk has been redeveloped into beautiful new buildings. Is that largely correct or is the redevelopment not as vast as it seems?

This city is simply magnificent.
DC is really two different cities. There is the Mall, downtown, and adjacent areas, and then there are the neighborhoods. The Height Act ensures that the office buildings downtown will be mostly uniform 12 - 13 story blocks, since developers want to maximize square feet.

The neighborhoods of DC have seen tremendous growth in the past 10 - 15 years, including H Street, NE, NOMA, the Wharf, Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard, 14th Street, and the area around Union Market.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 8:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
DC is really two different cities. There is the Mall, downtown, and adjacent areas, and then there are the neighborhoods. The Height Act ensures that the office buildings downtown will be mostly uniform 12 - 13 story blocks, since developers want to maximize square feet.

The neighborhoods of DC have seen tremendous growth in the past 10 - 15 years, including H Street, NE, NOMA, the Wharf, Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard, 14th Street, and the area around Union Market.
Thanks for the reply. I know about the Wharf and Riverfront areas and parts of New York Avenue that have had a lot of development, but I'm focusing specifically on what I view as the traditional downtown, like K Street, the parts of Pennsylvania Ave leading up to Washington Circle, the parts of Conn. Ave. leading up to DuPont Circle. It seems like a lot of that old junk has been redeveloped. I saw that even the drab Australian Embassy is being redeveloped.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 8:59 PM
Everywhere all at once

With the fever pitch of development bubbling over in all of these adjacent districts, NoMa, Union Market, Eckington, etc., the entire swath of exposed rail infrastructure in the area is beginning to look very out of place and a somewhat of a significant obstruction. I know there is a gradually evolving plan to cover the tracks most adjacent to Union Station, but perhaps that doesn't go far enough? I think there would be tangible benefit to decking over/burying the entirety of the Brentwood and Ivy City yards, to Rhode Island Avenue to the north, and Montana Avenue to the east.

When you look at some other national capitols in the developed and even developing worlds, it becomes clear that *this* level of exposed industrial or infrastructural uses *this* close to the marquis buildings of federal government is, well, atypical. There is SO MUCH opportunity in going big in this subdistrict of the District, and if New York can consider a plan to cover all of the Sunnyside Yard in Queens, then it is far from inconceivable.

Idk about y'all but I'm still holding out for the promise of infrastructure week.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
With the fever pitch of development bubbling over in all of these adjacent districts, NoMa, Union Market, Eckington, etc., the entire swath of exposed rail infrastructure in the area is beginning to look very out of place and a somewhat of a significant obstruction. I know there is a gradually evolving plan to cover the tracks most adjacent to Union Station, but perhaps that doesn't go far enough? I think there would be tangible benefit to decking over/burying the entirety of the Brentwood and Ivy City yards, to Rhode Island Avenue to the north, and Montana Avenue to the east.

When you look at some other national capitols in the developed and even developing worlds, it becomes clear that *this* level of exposed industrial or infrastructural uses *this* close to the marquis buildings of federal government is, well, atypical. There is SO MUCH opportunity in going big in this subdistrict of the District, and if New York can consider a plan to cover all of the Sunnyside Yard in Queens, then it is far from inconceivable.

Idk about y'all but I'm still holding out for the promise of infrastructure week.
I agree but I think this is extremely expensive to deck over track and it is difficult to make this financially feasible if you can only build a 120 foot tall building over the tracks.

The Burnham Place development proposes to build three million square feet of development above the rail yards immediately north of Union Station.

What I would like to see is for I-395 through Southwest DC and Capitol Hill/Navy Yard be removed and have surface streets here and have better connections between the neighborhoods north and south of the highway.

There was a proposal discussing this in the Washingtonian a few years ago.

Let’s Tear Down the Southeast Freeway and Build a New Neighborhood

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Thanks for the reply. I know about the Wharf and Riverfront areas and parts of New York Avenue that have had a lot of development, but I'm focusing specifically on what I view as the traditional downtown, like K Street, the parts of Pennsylvania Ave leading up to Washington Circle, the parts of Conn. Ave. leading up to DuPont Circle. It seems like a lot of that old junk has been redeveloped. I saw that even the drab Australian Embassy is being redeveloped.
Yes, quite of few of the various office buildings that have law firms and trade associations along Connecticut Ave and elsewhere in downtown have been modernized in recent years. There has also been discussion of converting some of these buildings to residential use, with fewer people working in offices (even pre-COVID).

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
One thing I would like to see is better transit connections to Ivy City, given all of the growth there and the traffic on New York Ave, NE. Perhaps it could be an infill MARC station but I don't know if that would be feasible, given the short distance to Union Station.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 9:58 PM

Georgetown

From 60 to 72 Condos: Georgetown West Heating Plant Development Grows in Size

January 14, 2021
By Nena Perry-Brown
Urban Turf

Image courtesy of Urban Turf.

"If you thought a 2019 map amendment was the last major approval needed to get the redevelopment of the Georgetown West Heating Plant off the ground, you were mistaken.

The development team, led by the Georgetown Companies and the Levy Group, has applied for zoning relief to enable plans to partially demolish and retrofit the heating plant at 1051-1055 29th Street NW into a residential building. The resulting development would deliver 70-72 Four Season-branded condominium units (up from 60), and a one-acre elevated public park to the two-acre industrial site..."

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...ng-plant/17754

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 10:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, quite of few of the various office buildings that have law firms and trade associations along Connecticut Ave and elsewhere in downtown have been modernized in recent years...
That's the impression I had.

Do you know if any of the new office or residential developments have any water features or fountains? That happens periodically in NY and some other cities, and I was wondering if it occurs in DC too.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 8:39 PM

Douglas Development Pitches 557-Unit Development Across From Dave Thomas Circle

January 15, 2021
By Nena Perry-Brown
Urban Turf

Image via Urban Turf.

"The residential pipeline is growing near Dave Thomas Circle.

Douglas Development is planning a 557-unit project on the triangular parking lot at First Street and New York Avenue NE. The building will have 10,280 square feet of ground-floor retail and 264 parking and 120 bicycle storage spaces on two below-grade levels..."

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...elopment/17764

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 11:01 PM
BANNED

Very nice!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 11:37 PM
Show me the blueprints

I love wedgies.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 12:19 AM

Good to see that area continue with redevelopment. The streets need to feel more enclosed to help improve the pedestrian experience. It can feel like an open wasteland with the vacant/underutilized lots and heavy traffic volume in that area. While the streets will likely remain rather busy, at least with continued development of these lots and the redesign of the "circle" the future of this area looks more promising.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations