HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
This image is from 1926, and shows signs for the Frank Meline Co/Pierpont Bay in 301 N Western Avenue.

USC Digital Library

"Los Angeles developer Frank Meline subdivided the Pierpont Bay area into small lots during the late 1920s, putting in roads, building a pleasure pier and paving Shore Drive along the beach. The lots came with design guidelines for English-style homes, on lanes with English sounding names. The Stock Market Crash of 1929 changed the fate of Pierpont beach forever; lots that had been offered for $2900 per lot suddenly were worth $10.

Then, eight years later, two storms – eleven months apart – in January and December 1936 wiped out the pier, bathhouse, boardwalk and Shore Drive. These storms effectively stopped all development in Pierpont until the mid-50s. Between 1925 and 1936, few houses had been built, and after the storm some were moved to higher ground. Only a handful of pre-1936 houses remain in Pierpont. Today, the area is a eclectic mix of mid-century beach shacks and recent 2.5-story custom homes of every style imaginable, and Shore Drive is a memory beneath the dunes at the end of the lanes."

I've tried to lighten the roof-top sign from Hoss' pic (without much success)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 29, 2017 at 1:22 AM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 1:17 AM

Coliseum mystery ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Early postcard of the Los Angeles Coliseum.

I can't remember if I've ask this before. What's up with the exterior with the slanted walls covered in plants? Was this an early design that was modified?

I'm also curious about the blue 'slash' at lower right. What the heck is that............?

To me, it looks like a culvert with a wisp of water flowing into it.

Quote:
I'm not sure about the culvert, but the slanted walls seem to be part of the original design which was modified when the seating capacity was increased for the Olympics. Here's another early view, originally posted in 2013.

Looks like the original design shows a pedestrian or a service entrance to me. The current view of the coliseum shows a service ramp in the same location.

ETA: Wait, this ramp seems to be much closer to the seating areas than the original photographs show. But its placement is similar.

coliseum1 by Kimberly, on Flickr
Google Earth

coliseum by Kimberly, on Flickr
Google Street View

Last edited by Lomara; Sep 6, 2019 at 7:25 AM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post

Has NLA commented at all on "La La Land"? ...

I was curious as to how they got the above shot. According to the director, the city allowed the cars to run for one day.
There were a few posts about 'La La Land' in late December. An answer to your question regarding Angel's Flight can be found here - a link first posted by tovangar2.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
While I like that the "Carson Palms" script has been replicated, I wish the star-lights had been preserved....

Speaking of palms--have we seen this motel before? Know anything about it BillinGlendaleCA? (reminds me of the "Oleander Arms"....)

I'd never seen it but looked it up. It's on a side street near the intersection of San Fernando and Western. It looks pretty much the same according to GSV.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 8:42 AM

Quote:

originally posted by GaylordWilshire

Here's a larger view before the signage (and giant skull) was placed above the porch.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/conejovalley/7411004160/

Bill, was this the place that had "Bullburgers"?

It sure would be interesting to see a vintage aerial. [hint ]
__
I'm not sure about the "Bullburgers", I think we only ate there once. IIRC the place had a major fire around 1970. I remember my dad taking me there when they were filming something, I think Alan Ladd was in it. That would probably be around 1963 or 1964.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 9:47 AM

I hope they aren't posted yet before but I was looking in some old pictures of Westwood and Bevery Hills + surroundings. Found some nice pics so I decided to make some comparisons before/now. Source: waterandpower.org

(ca. 1940)^ - View of Westwood Boulevard, Westwood Village, showing
Crawford Drugs and the Janss Investment Company--the developers of Westwood.

(ca. 1940)^ - Two women are seen walking down Lindbrook Drive (foreground) where it meets Westwood Boulevard (left) right outside of a Ralph's supermarket in Westwood Village. Designed by architect Russell Collins and built in 1929, the market is identified by the words "Ralphs Grocery Co.," seen over the doorway. Various businesses, including Sears, are visible in the background.

(ca. 1925)*# - View of Sunset Blvd. and Crescent Drive in Beverly Hills. Early model car is seen on an unpaved Sunset.

(ca. 1928)* - View showing the construction of the library, now the Lawrence Clark Powell Library.

(1929)* - View showing students crossing the bridge on their way to and
from classes and the library.

(1932)#* - A panoramic view of Westwood Village in Westwood, Los Angeles. The domed building in the center is the Janss Investment Corp., and the road to the right of it is Westwood. Left of that is the University Professional Building, with Crawford Drugs at the corner on the ground level. The spire down the street between Janss and the Professional building is the Fox Theatre. Across Westwood from Janss is the Citizens National Trust & Savings Bank. On the west side of Westwood in the background is the tower of the Holmby Building. The cross street is now Kinross Avenue, while the street leading to the theater is Broxton.

(1940)^^ – View looking south on Westwood Boulevard from Weburn Avenue showing Desmond's Department Store, Bank of America, and Myer Siegal. Photo by Dick Whittington

(1925)*^#^ - A view of Beverly Hills Heights, a development by Frank Meline, shown at the start of the subdivision. A man stands near a parked automobile on a wide, unpaved S. Beverly Drive near what is today Olympic Boulevard.

(ca. 1943)#^ - View of the Beverly Hills Pacific Electric Station looking east showing a streetcar and three buses all lined up. City Hall can be seen
in the background.

(1935)*# – View of Big Santa Monica Boulevard looking east from Pandora
Avenue before widening and paving. This eastward view of Big Santa Monica Boulevard shows the intersection with and the railroad bridge over South
Beverly Glen Boulevard. The "Fox Films" sign is placed on Little Santa Monica
Boulevard at about Fox Hills Drive.

(1944)^#^^ - View looking east showing a construction crew repaving Third Street. In the background is the western portal of the Third Street Tunnel (43 years after it originally opened). Above the tunnel sit multi-story buildings, the largest being the Alta Vista Apartments.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 3:34 PM

Excellent 'before' & 'after' photographs Jumb0.
It's always so interesting to see how things have changed over the years.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
I'd never seen it but looked it up. It's on a side street near the intersection of San Fernando and Western. It looks pretty much the same according to GSV.

gsv

It appears to be in great shape

Here's the original again for comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire
Have we seen this motel before BillinGlendaleCA? (reminds me of the "Oleander Arms"....)

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 8:05 PM

It never seems to be long between Julius Shulman posts about Beverly Hills. This is "Job 4162: Edwin Fields, Fields House (Beverly Hills, Calif.), 1967".

Here's an end view. I've omitted a different angle of the front.

This is the view out of the window above.

The last image appear to show the dining area.

All from Getty Research Institute

The house is still standing at 1138 San Ysidro Drive, Beverly Hills. This view is from 2011 because trees now hide about half of the building.

GSV

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Early postcard of the Los Angeles Coliseum.

I'm also curious about the blue 'slash' at lower right. What the heck is that............?

To me, it looks like a culvert with a wisp of water flowing into it.

In the postcard photo that blue slash is a wall. That area is the entrance to the field. During the Olympics all the participants march down that ramp and go under the stadium out into the field area. The marathon, for example, had the route for the runners go down there. It's obviously now not as decorative as it was in the postcard.

I found these two youtube videos of this, both are not very good quality, but they show the walk from beginning to inside, the second one moreso.

Video Link

Video Link

The first 45 seconds of this video shows Gina Hemphill inside the tunnel carrying
the Olympic torch into the coliseum in the 1984 opening ceremonies.
Video Link

Last edited by Martin Pal; Jan 29, 2017 at 10:07 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 11:11 PM

Thanks for the information Martin Pal.

"Three killers and an attempted killer went to prison today up in Tehachapi's bleak wilderness." April 2, 1936.

recently found on ebay

They were Mrs. Berbie Brockman, convicted of attempted murder on her husband's life; Hazel Glab, convicted of killing her husband eight years ago
and Mabel Willys; hammer murderess. They are pictured entering the car for their prison jaunt.

(Left to Right) Mrs. Willys, Deputy Sheriff Verne Flemming and Mrs. Glab.
Mrs. Brockman (not pictured)

I love this photo of Hazel with her dark sunglasses, oversized DETECTIVE magazine and fur coat

(if Hazel was convicted eight years earlier, why the delay in sending her to Tehachapi?)
__

more on Hazel by GW
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=4808

& by Fab Fifties Fan
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=4812

I don't believe we have ever discussed Berbie Brockman on NLA.

And I thought we had discussed Mrs. Willys, but I couldn't locate any previous posts.

reverse of press image

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 29, 2017 at 11:37 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 11:27 PM

'mystery' location

1949 RPPC, Pacific Drug Distributor Inc. Los Angeles

http://blackberryforums.com/store/Lo...790897499.html

reverse

"Dud"
__

So far tonight we've had a Berbie and a Dud.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 29, 2017 at 11:39 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 12:21 AM

The CDs of the 1960s list Pacific Drug Distributors at 3221 S Hill Street. The current street lights look similar, but it wasn't built until 1955. Luckily, the building permit lists the owner's address as 2301 S Broadway.

GSV

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 12:40 AM

And there it is! Thanks Hoss.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 2:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:

The CDs of the 1960s list Pacific Drug Distributors at 3221 S Hill Street. The current street lights look similar, but it wasn't built until 1955. Luckily, the building permit lists the owner's address as 2301 S Broadway.

GSV

Notice the difference between the original [1955] and current [2017] entrance?

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jan 30, 2017 at 4:50 AM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay
I looked for a photo of the Try Later bar, nothing turned up. The closest I got were some 1959 images after it had become the Raincheck Room, from the first successful Russ Meyer Nudie pic, "The Immoral Mr. Teas":

______________________________________________________________________________________________________---

While re- watching The Immoral Mr. Teas I became curious about a few additional locations.

This road.

The billboard on the right is obviously the best clue------->

The top word is no doubt Paradise....the word below, Sports....& the word below that, Finest(?)

I'm also curious about this 'downtown' scene (four screen-shots below)

"You want to see my etchings?"

The building across the street looks very familiar, but I can't place it at the moment.

I'm also curious about the building they go into (up the fire escape) "KROGH, 36 Years in this block."

_____

Lastly, I've been trying to figure out which theater was used for this exterior scene. Is it one of the Pussycat Theaters?

I know Tempest Storm, but who was 'Fabulous NANA'?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 30, 2017 at 3:47 AM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 7:03 AM

Quote:
______________________________________________________________________________________________________---
Lastly, I've been trying to figure out which theater was used for this exterior scene. Is it one of the Pussycat Theaters?

That's the Follies at 337 S Main—here's a shot that shows the distinctive jutting marquee:

lapl

See the side of the building where it says 339? That's Joe Krogh's retail store. The alley shots were taken next to the Follies!

In this shot

that's the Hotel Strand, left, and a bit of the famed Westminster on the right.

wikimedia

Last edited by Beaudry; Jan 30, 2017 at 8:21 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 7:32 AM

Immoral Mr. Teas

Quote:

While re- watching The Immoral Mr. Teas I became curious about a few additional locations.

This road.

The top word is no doubt Paradise....the word below, Sports....& the word below that, Finest(?)

I'm also curious about this 'downtown' scene (four screen-shots below)

"You want to see my etchings?"

The building across the street looks very familiar, but I can't place it at the moment.

I'm also curious about the building they go into (up the fire escape) "KROGH, 36 Years in this block."

_____

Ethereal:

Haven't seen "The Immoral Mr. Teas," but I believe the movie featured the first American appearance of "lovely British Ingenue" Miss June Wilkinson, frequent Playboy model and star of such cinematic masterpieces as "Macumba Love" and "Twist All Night" with Louie Prima.
Recently I came across this photo of a lass I assumed was a fresh-faced young coed fresh off the Greyhound bus from Bakersfield, perched on a bus bench at Sunset & Vine to better take in the sights, when I realized it was our June.

pinterest/feedly.com

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 7:50 AM

Mystery Intersection

...and speaking of Hollywood intersections in the 1950's, does anyone recognize this interesting apartment house or or know its location?

pinterest/feedly.com

And by the way, the blonde actress/model on the left MAY be Susan Oliver; looks like her.

pinterest/fanpix.net

Last edited by JeffDiego; Jan 30, 2017 at 8:03 AM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:

This road.

That's the entrance to Paradise Cove which is maybe three or four miles north of Malibu Pier. Mr. Teas is headed south on PCH and if he does indeed make that left turn he's signaling for he's going to cross about four lanes of high speed traffic. BTW, the words are 'Paradise Cove', 'Sports Fishing' and 'Finest Beach' This is where Jim Rockford had his ramshackle trailer parked.

Last edited by MichaelRyerson; Jan 30, 2017 at 12:57 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos