HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 5:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

While we could do better, we could fare much worse. Canada has that tension between wanting to be like the most progressive parts of Northern Europe, while being partially constrained by the competition we inevitably find ourselves in with America (which unfortunately has parts that are engaged in a furious race to the bottom for social services and taxation rates.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 6:01 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
While we could do better, we could fare much worse. Canada has that tension between wanting to be like the most progressive parts of Northern Europe, while being partially constrained by the competition we inevitably find ourselves in with America (which unfortunately has parts that are engaged in a furious race to the bottom for social services and taxation rates.
As the US declines or even fragments, we may find it easier to be ourselves in terms of social democracy.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 6:25 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
As the US declines or even fragments, we may find it easier to be ourselves in terms of social democracy.
That is my silver lining hope of an outcome with what's currently going on.

I appreciate your post above with information about Denmark and Sweden, as it can be quite easy to look at those countries with extreme rose coloured glasses. Personally I would strongly advocate for both more vacation and a rethought EI system (getting by on EI in Toronto without savings is virtually impossible). In addition to that at least basic dental coverage as part standard health care, and some form of universal childcare program. Though we don't necessarily have to look too far to see what may work quite well on that last one... I'm personally willing to accept a tax structure closer to the Scandinavian model if these services are effectively delivered.

Something certainly needs to be done about housing costs, but we aren't exactly alone in that problem.

Overall I'm pretty happy with our situation but don't want to get complacent when it comes to growing inequities and slipping social services. COVID is also a bit of a wakeup call in this respect.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 6:28 PM

Quote:
LOL. No. We are very tied to the US economically. Anything that sees them fragment, sees us struggle.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 6:42 PM

Quote:
It's not garbage. Canada's offerings are similar to those of Northern Europe. They're a bit rougher, in my experience, but not hugely so.

There are a few things Canada could do. First, and this is a barrier for me in terms of coming home... vacation days! 25 minimum around here, and most industries' unions have agreed on 30. I have 35 and I love it so much.
Completely agree!

Would add, as a short-term move, we could at least upward harmonize to 15 days minimum (3 weeks), as this has been the law in Saskatchewan for more than a generation without adverse effect there is zero argument against it.

Quote:
Second, EI.
Harder to make these adjustments. But easy enough to add a bit more 'push' to the system, and to the extent that cuts the number on the system by at least 10% you can bump up the income replacement rate modestly from 55 to 60/65%

Quote:
Third, healthcare.
Really like the family doctor guarantee from Denmark. Very do-able here, its really software and a bit re-organizing away from walk-in clinics.

But we do need more complete coverage here as well, starting w/pharma, but ultimately dental as well.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 6:59 PM
video et taceo

EI, or "basic A-kassa" here, is often boosted by one's own salary insurance, which is a product offered at decent monthly rates by many providers. So you get your basic EI plus that. This seems easy enough to get going with private partners.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 7:57 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

According to this list from 2019 Canada is among the happiest countries in the world. We're number nine. (These lists are about as definitive as you wish to make them).

Quote:
The United Nations recently released their annual World Happiness Report, which included their list of the world's top 10 "Happiest Countries."
The United States did not make the list. Canada did.

According to the United Nations, the 10 happiest countries in 2019 are:

1 Finland
2 Denmark
3 Norway
4 Iceland
5 The Netherlands
6 Switzerland
7 Sweden
8 New Zealand
9 Canada
10Austria
https://www.inc.com/melanie-curtin/t...ing-to-un.html

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 8:16 PM
The New Republic

I'm generally very happy with Canada. It's the best country in the world but, like all places, there are things that irritate me about it.

The culture is too conservative, too timid, too risk averse, and too ignorant of its own history/culture. The winter is 6 weeks too long and the population too small to be globally influential economically, politically, and culturally. It's also too small to capitalize on its geography. Perhaps 80 years from now and at 100 million people most of these things will have moved to the wayside. Too late for me but Canada has a very bright future.

Last edited by isaidso; Sep 4, 2020 at 8:33 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 9:42 PM

Odd that every country except New Zealand is considered a cold climate. Maybe "don't worry be happy" is an extension of "keep moving, keep warm". And even the Kiwis like their snow.

The United Nations recently released their annual World Happiness Report, which included their list of the world's top 10 "Happiest Countries."
The United States did not make the list. Canada did.

According to the United Nations, the 10 happiest countries in 2019 are:

1 Finland
2 Denmark
3 Norway
4 Iceland
5 The Netherlands
6 Switzerland
7 Sweden
8 New Zealand
9 Canada
10Austria

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 12:22 PM

Up until five years ago I had a lot of respect for this country.... when they denied my spouse entrance to the country after seven years of being together, I lost all respect. I had two choices. Move to Venezuela or end my relationship. Hardest thing I ever had to do. I had amazing people helping me fight this. Indigenous elders, cannonized priests and government officials, lawyers too. But our border services agency refused to allow him back into the country. . It’s okay for people to sponsor and bring over their useless relatives who can’t speak English, or do anything but serve coffee. but an educated trilingual South American with money.... they refuse. I hate Canada.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 2:20 PM

edit

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 2:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I'm generally very happy with Canada. It's the best country in the world but, like all places, there are things that irritate me about it.

The culture is too conservative, too timid, too risk averse, and too ignorant of its own history/culture. The winter is 6 weeks too long and the population too small to be globally influential economically, politically, and culturally. It's also too small to capitalize on its geography. Perhaps 80 years from now and at 100 million people most of these things will have moved to the wayside. Too late for me but Canada has a very bright future.
generally, these are my sentiments as well. I also wish we were more balanced between English and French (i.e., with Anglos less dominant than they currently are, although I suspect that in the future, Quebec will be an even more attractive destination for immigrants from la francophonie). I dislike being seen as an appendage of the Excited States.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 3:34 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Are we really that much worse off than much of the world? Just thinking of how much of Europe is darker earlier than us in the winter, and probably less sunny on average as well.

And that's just one example.
I've never lived in those places but I'm sure I'd consider it a problem there too. Although I think having "both" issues in the winter - the cold, messy weather plus the darkness - is probably harder to handle than just having one.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
... and the population too small to be globally influential economically, politically, and culturally.
Speaking of, I've tried to buy a piece of equipment for a network this morning, and part of me felt insulted...

https://www.zyxel.com/where_to_buy/where-to-buy.shtml

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Up until five years ago I had a lot of respect for this country.... when they denied my spouse entrance to the country after seven years of being together, I lost all respect. I had two choices. Move to Venezuela or end my relationship. Hardest thing I ever had to do. I had amazing people helping me fight this. Indigenous elders, cannonized priests and government officials, lawyers too. But our border services agency refused to allow him back into the country. . It’s okay for people to sponsor and bring over their useless relatives who can’t speak English, or do anything but serve coffee. but an educated trilingual South American with money.... they refuse. I hate Canada.
That truly sucks, especially considering how many Colombian deadbeats and fraudsters have been let in over the years. (I personally know a few.)

The bureaucrats handling these things...... Suffice to say, I wouldn't hire them to do any work for me.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 4:21 PM

Quote:
... mean the landlord can store their stuff in your apartment and kick you out with 30 days notice whenever. And the prices... it's not good.

Here is 275 square feet in inner Stockholm for $2,150/month on a lease that lasts "until further notice" with a $4,300 deposit. Nice balcony I guess.
OMG, that's paradise! You think you could help me navigate Sweden's investor immigrant program then introduce me to a cute single girl over there?

In all seriousness, my good friend and occasional business partner, a Montreal Jew who lives on Park Ave just north of that commercial Wooden Shack™ that O-Tacular posted about yesterday, was interested in us venturing into remotely-managed Swedish real estate. I think I recall his ideal market was Malmö for some reason (he did some research). Says the buildings are really well built compared to the crap we're used to here (i.e. much easier remote management - that's also what I love about Florida construction styles) and the cap rates are good.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
That truly sucks, especially considering how many Colombian deadbeats and fraudsters have been let in over the years. (I personally know a few.)

The bureaucrats handling these things...... Suffice to say, I wouldn't hire them to do any work for me.
I get that this matters greatly to Hecate and I sympathize with his predicament, but the idea that the entire country is broken because his spouse couldn't get citizenship is a little hard to swallow.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 3:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Are we really that much worse off than much of the world? Just thinking of how much of Europe is darker earlier than us in the winter, and probably less sunny on average as well.
I agree

I know Fort William in Scotland reasonably well, having spent some time there. The climate is warm enough year round for some palm trees to grow (they of course are not native), but it rains or drizzles almost every day, and you have to dress for the weather no matter when you leave the house (sunny one minute, drizzly the next).

Fort William is at the same latitude as northern Labrador and on December 21st, sunrise is at about 9AM, and sunset is about 3:45PM. This could certainly contribute to the dour Scottish personality and SAD.

It may be a lot colder in most of Canada in the wintertime than in Scotland, but at least it is usually sunny, and if you dress appropriately, it can be pleasant to be outside. It would compare quite favourably to a climate which is constantly wet, and with less than seven hours of daylight in the wintertime.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I get that this matters greatly to Hecate and I sympathize with his predicament, but the idea that the entire country is broken because his spouse couldn't get citizenship is a little hard to swallow.
I used to think you were a decent person... this country failed me many times. It failed me when I needed access to mental health care, it failed me when I needed financial help to access education, it failed me when I needed to access employment insurance that i pay for, qualified for, but was denied. it failed me when I needed help dealing with abusive members of my family, and it again failed me with my spouse. That’s a lot of fucking failure coming from the “best” country in the world... so before you assume to know and understand how I feel check your privilege. The only thing hard to swallow is your assumptive bullshit.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 11:48 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Obviously you've had some very difficult experiences and I'm sure we can all sympathise with that. Yet the fact that someone didn't know this doesn't make them a bad person. What would be "assumptive" would be to assume that a list of additional grievances exists when only one was mentioned. If you want people to know something you need to tell them. Personally I had the same reaction as him because a country is a collection of many different elements with government being but one of them. And even government contains many levels, departments, ministries, etc. all of which produce many policies/decisions both good and bad.

I appreciate that you're willing to share you're experiences and offer a different perspective that some of us many not have considered. But it's best not to take out your frustrations with various levels of government on people who weren't responsible for them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada