HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Sherwin-Williams Headquarters Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Cleveland Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 7:59 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

CLEVELAND | Sherwin-Williams HQ | 616 FT | 36 FLOORS

big cle news this month, but since i see no thread as yet i will start one.

cleveland's prime tower ready site on public square and its clear cut downtown parking ocean in the warehouse district at long last are all about to go away for sherwin williams HQ expansion.

it will be over a million sq ft on 3 major lots, with an additional 500k sq ft of a new r&d facility in the suburbs.

construction could start Q4 and move in is projected for 2023. it also opens up the riverfront below the terminal tower for redevelopment and should hopefully spur a lot of spin-off.

Sherwin-Williams confirms plans for new downtown Cleveland HQ, Brecksville R&D center

Updated Feb 06, 2020; Posted Feb 06, 2020

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Sherwin-Williams Co. confirmed Thursday morning that it is planning a new downtown Cleveland headquarters and a research and development center in Brecksville, in a set of projects expected to bring hundreds of new jobs and a corporate investment of at least $600 million to Cuyahoga County.

In a news release, the company said that its new, 1-million-square-foot headquarters will rise from parking lots just west of Public Square, a short walk from Sherwin-Williams’ longtime home at the historic Landmark Office Towers.

The R&D center, which will replace the company’s downtown Breen Technology Center and a facility in Warrensville Heights, will be the 500,000-square-foot anchor for the redevelopment of a former U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs hospital property off Interstate 77 in Brecksville.

“Our plans to continue investing in Cleveland and Northeast Ohio build on our 154-year legacy as one of the region’s top employers and drivers of economic activity,” John Morikis, the company’s chairman and chief executive officer, said in the news release.

more:
https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...rd-center.html

reaction:
https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...usinesses.html

site:

aerial:

possible massings:

http://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/1...mits-with.html

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 8:12 PM
Meh

Sweet. That looks to be close to 700 feet then comparing it to the Terminal Building. I love the idea of Cleveland getting some development, but I hate the thought of the Terminal Building being hidden from view. Cleveland really does have an iconic skyline.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 8:23 PM
New Yorker for life

I saw some massings somewhere that suggested this could be more like 1,000 ft.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 8:28 PM

Wow, this would be amazing if this gets fully built. Im not real familiar Cleveland, but from Google Earth that looks like the biggest swath of parking lots in downtown Cleveland. This development by itself probably wont do much to increase pedestrian activity in that area, but hopefully it will lead to adjacent residential projects and retail in the future. Maybe we will be lucky and they will include some retail/residential on parts of that land. Its a bummer that the R&D is moving to the suburbs, though.

Can a Clevelander familiar with the area around where this is supposed to be built tell me what the area currently is like? Is there much retail/residential and street life?

Last edited by TheIllinoisan; Feb 24, 2020 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 8:34 PM
Show me the blueprints

Cover the Earth

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 9:46 PM
New Yorker for life

More massings...

http://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/0...ew-hq.html?m=1

Quote:
This unofficial massing based on available information from
several sources shows what a 1,000-foot-tall headquarters
tower would look like if located on the west side of down-
town Cleveland's Public Square, flanked on the west (right)
by a second tower about 500 feet tall for Sherwin-Williams
research center. This is viewed from Lake Erie (Geowizical).

http://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/0...umber.html?m=1

Quote:
Sources say this rendering that was part of Cleveland's sales
pitch to Amazon to attract its HQ2 here reportedly bears a
striking similarity to a 2015 rendering by SHW of its new
headquarters on the Jacobs Lot. Sources said the second-
tallest proposed building in this image, at the northwest
corner of Superior Avenue and West 3rd Street, was also
part of the SHW rendering, possibly enclosing an R&D
facility. The rest of the highlighted buildings are either
existing or part of a former Weston plan (WEWS).

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 10:02 PM

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 10:23 PM

Ok. I'm intrigued. Let's see where this goes.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 11:03 PM
BANNED

This is good news. Cleveland has beautiful old buildings.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 11:03 PM

The truth of the matter is SW have shown no inclination, or stated any desire to build anywhere near a supertall. Nevertheless it is still a great positive for Cleveland and hopefully we will see an architectural drawing soon

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 12:15 AM
DENNAB

Awesome! Am I alone in liking the massive "Amazon" logo up top?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 6:16 AM

I never expected Cleveland to get anything taller than Key Tower. Hopefully this proposal goes through and ends up with the height predicted. I've always been a fan of the Cleveland Skyline as it is.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIllinoisan View Post
Wow, this would be amazing if this gets fully built. Im not real familiar Cleveland, but from Google Earth that looks like the biggest swath of parking lots in downtown Cleveland. This development by itself probably wont do much to increase pedestrian activity in that area, but hopefully it will lead to adjacent residential projects and retail in the future. Maybe we will be lucky and they will include some retail/residential on parts of that land. Its a bummer that the R&D is moving to the suburbs, though.

Can a Clevelander familiar with the area around where this is supposed to be built tell me what the area currently is like? Is there much retail/residential and street life?
I am not from Cleveland, but am from Ohio and visit Cleveland decently often. That is actually a pretty busy foot traffic area. It is directly between Tower City/Prospect Ave area and the bars along W. 6th and The Flats. Always huge for more density and the removal of surface parking.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
More massings...
Doesn't 1,000 feet in one tower with multiple other smaller towers seem like a lot of height for 1,000,000 sqft?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 8:38 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
Doesn't 1,000 feet in one tower with multiple other smaller towers seem like a lot of height for 1,000,000 sqft?
That's not the actual proposal.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That's not the actual proposal.
I understand that, just pointing out that the website using those renders is being a bit misleading by stating that the two larger towers were used as a potential proposal to Sherwin-Williams. When the stated square footage is 1,000,000 and the largest tower appears to be ~1000ft with smaller towers surrounding it.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 9:20 PM

Quote:
I am not from Cleveland, but am from Ohio and visit Cleveland decently often. That is actually a pretty busy foot traffic area. It is directly between Tower City/Prospect Ave area and the bars along W. 6th and The Flats. Always huge for more density and the removal of surface parking.
Thats good to hear. This development will hopefully boost that activity. If this happens and that NuCLeUS (or whatever the hell its called) parking lot gets redeveloped, then that would knock out moat of the surface parking west of 12th. Sprinkle a half dozen or so Lumen-scale developments throughout and you could have a major downtown Renaissance.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 4:33 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

yeah some of those renders are old or just massing guesses, nothing official as yet (i thought that was a really nifty looking amazon hq2 pitch tho, wasn't it? oh well).

speculation is sw is a rather conservative company, as evidenced by its current status rather hidden away in the terminal tower complex and along the river behind it. so while this is its coming out party after buying up rival valspar, there likely will be no supertall. guesses are 5-600' feet for the actual hq tower on the prime jacobs lot on public square, but who knows as yet?

i believe that the city made a pitch to keep the r&d, but they couldn't find a spot( its currently located along the riverfront below the terminal tower complex and its called the breen center). i find this hard to believe, but along with 500k sq ft sw also wanted room to expand that someday, and additionally it needs to be mostly a flat campus for that sort of thing, so maybe all that was the issue. i dk, but at least r&d stays in the county.

here is some very current info on the package sw may get from the city:

Cleveland City Council introduces $100M package of incentives for Sherwin-Williams’ new downtown headquarters

Updated Feb 24, 8:15 PM; Posted Feb 24, 8:07 PM

The package includes a grant toward construction of a $300-million headquarters and years of significant tax relief for the corporation.

In exchange, Cleveland would retain more than 3,100 jobs with the potential for more, fill a parking lot at the west end of Public Square with a headquarters befitting a Fortune 500 company and secure the Sherwin-Williams' presence in Cleveland for generations.

more:
https://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/2...dquarters.html

this is about the a-ha moment when cle pinned it down:

https://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/2...he-moment.html

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 4:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I understand that, just pointing out that the website using those renders is being a bit misleading by stating that the two larger towers were used as a potential proposal to Sherwin-Williams. When the stated square footage is 1,000,000 and the largest tower appears to be ~1000ft with smaller towers surrounding it.
I don’t find it misleading at all. The height of the tower would depend on the design, not necessarily the sq footage, or even number of floors. If for instance, someone wanted to build a statement tower with half a million sq ft of floor space, that could be done. Now, that’s not saying that this tower will definitely be a supertall - no one knows that. But we don’t know that it won’t be either at this point.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 4:47 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

just for fun, here's a rather haunting render for the 1991 and very po-mo styled kpf 1,198' ameritrust tower for that sw hq lot, aka the jacobs lot, that never got built. unfortunately, in advance of ameritrust the historic buildings that were there got torn down.

right on public square, this lot is considered cleveland's top prime tower site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction