HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
To date we don't know what evolution the fifth tower will take both in height and in appearance.

A tower to exceed 2200ft height ... I don't think it's feasible for now. But I say, let's start with a 2,000ft tower which wouldn't be bad.
With a 1556' roof, Tower Fifth can easily exceed 1800' by adding a spire. It's even possible to reach 1968.5' (600 m) to become a megatall: the oversized spire would account for 21.0% of the 1968.5-footer, which is a fairly large percentage but still much more reasonable than the ones listed here: https://gizmodo.com/spire-shame-why-...y-j-1264286446.

However, I still worry that there might be some "gentlemen's agreement" not to dethrone the 1776' 1WTC.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 2:20 AM

The proposal on Instagram was crazy but awesome at the same time. Too many of us are scared to see something like that today in NY city. Whatever height a new proposal is should be well received as long as it has some real class to it. The chance of seeing a mega-tall would be just awesome without having to leave the country to see it. For me, to live long enough to see a building taller than the Burj Khalifa in NY or Chicago would be a dream come true.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 2:20 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
However, I still worry that there might be some "gentlemen's agreement" not to dethrone the 1776' 1WTC.

There's no agreement, but if there were, Harry Macklowe would be the first to break it. And probably by 1 ft.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 4:21 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdupree View Post
The proposal on Instagram was crazy but awesome at the same time. Too many of us are scared to see something like that today in NY city. Whatever height a new proposal is should be well received as long as it has some real class to it. The chance of seeing a mega-tall would be just awesome without having to leave the country to see it. For me, to live long enough to see a building taller than the Burj Khalifa in NY or Chicago would be a dream come true.

Maybe the Park Lane Hotel parcel will be the tower that does it in terms of 1 WTC, when the time is right of course. Eventually, the market will stop cooling down (let's hope) and become hot hot hot... so the next CPT or 111 W 57th may be coming to a parcel near you. But Park Lane... prime prime opportunity. Arguably one of the best in the city for a supertall slender or similar.

But well see what happens. Fingers crossed on 80 South. If it does happen, I'd hope its Downtown. Midtown has been getting a ton of action. Needs to share the love.

We also have Midtown East, and a few potential prospects down the line... we shall see. I don't ever foresee something over 2500', Khalifa cough cough, but something eclipsing 1 WTC, sure... its within reach in theory (supply/demand, and not just trophy tower with nothing really backing it up).

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 5:11 PM

Well, we could think of the Hudson Spire project - with a 1,800 feet (550 m) roof height at 2,000 feet (610 m) architectural height that could be located in Site 2 of the Empire Station District project, or the tower of the Park Central Hotel project 2,000 feet which could be located in Park Lane Hotel parcel or some nearby.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 6:14 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.pincusco.com/macklowe-pr...laza-district/

Macklowe Properties borrows additional $5M from Fortress for properties in Plaza District

October 22, 2020
PincusCo Media

Quote:
Macklowe Properties through the entity 52nd Street Barracuda Acquisition LLC as borrower signed a loan agreement with lender Fortress Investment Group through the entity Fortress Credit Co LLC valued at $5.4 million secured by 3 parcels at 5 East 51st Street, 17 East 47th Street and 12 East 52nd Street in the Plaza District. The deal closed on October 16, 2020 and was recorded on October 21, 2020.

This is a supplemental loan. Macklowe increased the debt on top of a loan given last year totaling $191.75 million secured by the three properties.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 6:52 PM
DENNAB

I had no idea this area was called the "Plaza District". Learn something new everyday.

He should get building.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 9:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I had no idea this area was called the "Plaza District". Learn something new everyday.

He should get building.

I'm used to the Plaza District being referenced as the upper 50's, but close enough. Anyway, he's a long way from building. This tower hasn't been approved, nor has it started that process.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 10:00 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I'm used to the Plaza District being referenced as the upper 50's, but close enough. Anyway, he's a long way from building. This tower hasn't been approved, nor has it started that process.

Yea that's what I thought, near the Plaza hotel. I wonder if approval could happen in 2021 for this one? Unfortunately I think the Venezuelan embassy is still a problem.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 10:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Yea that's what I thought, near the Plaza hotel. I wonder if approval could happen in 2021 for this one? Unfortunately I think the Venezuelan embassy is still a problem.
2021 will bring a new year, so we'll see. Approvals take about 6 months to get zoning in place.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 6:32 PM
New Yorker for life

In the 270 Park wind tunnel test...

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 6:46 PM
DENNAB

I could just be imagining things but it looks like the top has changed a bit for the better. Looks less blockheaded.

Quote:
2021 will bring a new year, so we'll see. Approvals take about 6 months to get zoning in place.
That's not too bad.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 7:11 PM

The height can be changed at the end ?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 7:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I could just be imagining things but it looks like the top has changed a bit for the better. Looks less blockheaded.

Don't get too wrapped up in it. I believe it to be just an approximation of the tower at it's height, not the design from the renderings.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 8:52 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Looks a little less like a 1,556' meat tenderizer.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 9:06 PM
BANNED

I don't ever see this tower rising in its current form.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 2:13 AM

Quote:
it looks like the top has changed a bit for the better. Looks less blockheaded.
That looks better to me as well. Also, the new protruding spine (for the elevators?) might be an additional improvement, since it helps differentiate this building from 432 Park Ave:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 2:43 AM
New Yorker for life

Not gonna be the design folks. That wind test was done last year. Perhaps Macklowe will actually release the full design once and for all.

Rest assured it won't be this:

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 8:44 PM
Ω

^ Thank God.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 8:38 AM

^ Macklowe looks like he's about to witness the results of a practical joke he set up, in that picture.

Speaking of elevator spines, does anyone remember that Mcdonalds coloured proposal with the external panoramic elevators near the Beekman downtown, from about ten years ago? What was the name of that?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals