HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 10:22 PM

I haven't heard anything new with regard to 800 West Lake since the community meeting (was that in October?).

While Paddy O'Fegan's looks closed and boarded up, what are the next milestones that the public hears before they move towards demo and building the hotel there?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 12:04 AM
you know where I'll be

^ The next major milestone is in less than 48 hours, when it goes before the Plan Commission. I'm assuming we'll get some new info and renderings from the meeting.

Also, I hadn't realized the size of this hotel - 476 keys - nothing to sneeze at.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 12:05 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
They must be almost topped out. The last week or so I've noticed that they're clearing out tons (literally) of stuff that had accumulated around the building base and from trying to count the floors that are poured but don't yet have glass I come very close to the total floors expected. On Saturday the crane was busy lowering big wooden construction platforms.

In very good news, the glass is now beyond the point where the stupid little balconies were in the renderings, so I think that's out. Also, perhaps, the single larger bump out that appeared at some point. The 717 Clark, aka "Imprint" web page currently shows 2 square open balconies toward the top - I'm guessing this is congruent with amenity space:

https://imprintapts.com/

This is a variation that hadn't appeared on the developer web site.

I also noticed that there is now a place to schedule a 30 minute "Hard Hat" tour - Sunday afternooons beginning February 2nd.

Last week they topped-out the core - that was the core formwork and related materials I believe you likely saw coming down. I'd assume just 2-3 more floors to pour

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 12:24 AM

FM things

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 12:39 AM

Love seeing WPE sticking it's head out. Wps will have an even bigger presence.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 2:56 PM

I love shots like these because they show just how much of an impact River Point, 150 N Riverside and 110 N Wacker have on the skyline, despite their modest height by Chicago standards. Once Wolf Point South (to an above comment's credit) pops up, it'll be an impressive wall of blue.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:29 PM
BANNED

^I sure am glad we have our black behemoths and Aon of the 70s, and Franklin Center and 311 S Wacker of the 90s to add some diversity amongst the growing wall of blue, which we are lucky to have, of course. Though I am hoping 111 W 57th and 9 Dekalb inspire a change in facade treatment here soon. Trib Tower East will be a welcome addition if it indeed comes to fruition.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ The next major milestone is in less than 48 hours, when it goes before the Plan Commission. I'm assuming we'll get some new info and renderings from the meeting.

Also, I hadn't realized the size of this hotel - 476 keys - nothing to sneeze at.
Ah thanks for the update. Do these zoning changes usually pass pretty seamlessly as planned once they make it in front of the Plan Commission? Does the Plan Commission suggest/force changes?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^I sure am glad we have our black behemoths and Aon of the 70s, and Franklin Center and 311 S Wacker of the 90s to add some diversity amongst the growing wall of blue, which we are lucky to have, of course. Though I am hoping 111 W 57th and 9 Dekalb inspire a change in facade treatment here soon. Trib Tower East will be a welcome addition if it indeed comes to fruition.
That's interesting to think about. Once/if solar reaches a breakthrough price, we may start to see arrays incorporated onto E & W building elevations of our tallest towers. I wonder, too, if we'll revert to more low-tech methods of solar shading that aren't just thin films (like scrims or windows of smaller aperture).

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 5:29 PM
Making Chicago Memorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Agreed 100%!! Time to incorporate terra cotta, texture, rich colors, gold, and warmth. No more of these sterile blue towers. They make winter in Chicago more depressing. It's like starring at ice and the gray sky. Don't get me wrong - a blue tower here and there is fine, but not ALL of them.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:07 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantlyMidway View Post
Do these zoning changes usually pass pretty seamlessly as planned once they make it in front of the Plan Commission?
Chicago's Plan Commission approves everything on its agenda, no matter what objections are raised.

It hasn't been a deliberative body since the early 1990s. Perhaps that will begin to change as Mayor Lightfoot appoints members.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:51 PM

^^^ Wow, in that FM shot, the Hoxton hotel looks really jammed into a corner between 167 Green and Fulton East.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 3:23 AM
Chicago

The Venn Apartments - 855 W Madison

January 22, 2020

https://thevennapts.com/

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 3:56 AM

1200 West Carroll

So, I didn't realize there was a community meeting in the West Loop this evening until i saw it on FB live.

Some notes:

-Primary lobby on Carroll

-Retail at corner and build set back

-2 elevator cores

-parking floor and 1/2 up (90 spaces)

-A floor plan 45,000-46,000 sq ft floor plans

-B floor plan has terraces

-B then double AA floor plan

-12th floor amenity

-$5,000,000 property taxes annually (approximately)

-2022 construction start time?

Sorry about the shit images... screenshots of the FB live presentation:

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
1200 West Carroll

So, I didn't realize there was a community meeting in the West Loop this evening until i saw it on F
Oh damn, now I really want to see full res renders

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 5:24 AM

The zoning application had some elevation sketches to match everything except the windows had mullions to suggest more of an industrial looking window grid. It looks more transparent in the renderings, but perhaps that was to avoid the glass looking too dark zoomed far out

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
The zoning application had some elevation sketches to match everything except the windows had mullions to suggest more of an industrial looking window grid. It looks more transparent in the renderings, but perhaps that was to avoid the glass looking too dark zoomed far out
https://chicago.legistar.com/View.as...2-449000EF7E25

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Here's 2 more proposals for Fulton Market both on the 1200 block of W Carroll street. The first is from Sterling Bay at 1200 W Carroll (NW corner Carroll and Racine). A new 14 story commercial building at 227 feet high.

Architect is Gensler. 90 total parking spaces. Current usage is mainly a more industrial-like building.

Current: https://www.google.com/maps/place/N+...!4d-87.6568701

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 1:31 PM

It's really a shame the Venn got VE'd. It should have turned out very elegant and modern, but it looks like a 70's college dorm or hospital. Those (grey, brown, what color is that?) panels on the upper sections are just awful.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 2:52 PM
Show me the blueprints

Yep

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
It's really a shame the Venn got VE'd. It should have turned out very elegant and modern, but it looks like a 70's college dorm or hospital. Those (grey, brown, what color is that?) panels on the upper sections are just awful.
Yeah it looks like a pretty big miss, particularly in ways I am not sure are all that cost cutting. I get why the building form would need to be simplified, but how much money was saved adding in those big mullion(?) panels where the renderings showed windows? And if you are going to do that, why aren't they the darker spandrel panel color so the contrast between protruding elements and recessed ones aren't more coherent?

It looks unnecessarily top heavy

Last edited by jc5680; Jan 23, 2020 at 4:51 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations