HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
In my opinion, the new CIBC tower looks nicer than the Bow. For a wide building at least the roof has different heights instead of being flat.
And your opinion is most welcome (cheque is in the mail). Thank you from east of Edmonton (have family in your town .

Magnify: CIBC also has the loveliest new scraper crowns - wait for the night-lighting).

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 1:36 AM
Community Guy

The Bow is fat, but a legacy tower with some incredible design details and hell, it s a bow.

CIBC misses the mark.

Stantec (unsure why it was brought up, other than trying to city shame) is tall, but utilitarian and not as refined as it should have been.

The JW on the other hand.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 4:45 AM

2 blocks that host 4 of the 10* tallest under construction in Canada. (*9 in T.O and 1 in Missie)

a)Foreground cranes: Sugar Wharf Phase ! (230m/70 storeys + 218m/64 storeys)
b)Cranes Behind: One Yonge Street - Phase 1 rising 217m/65 storeys (SkyTower will rise left of Phase 1).

Razz

Last edited by Maldive; Sep 24, 2020 at 5:56 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 8:32 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
THE ONE 309m/85 storeys
Hopefully this hints of the structural steel’s arrival soon. The 4 yellow supports lying on-site will be vertical, presumably to support the 45 degree angled steel from the super columns.

Benito
I finally saw these today. Looks like they are installed.

Quite a sight.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 3:11 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Sheeesh! Next to no attractive buildings in that shot. The only ones with any redeeming qualities are the Toronto Star building (needs re-working at grade) and that squat 4 floor brick building (will become the podium for some glass towers). I suppose that 1980s Metro Hall building is decent. The rest are awful.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 9:10 AM
gettin' rich!

Ugly. But the density and hieght is crazy.

Still have a chance to improve the ground level experience. Lets see if they can at least get that right.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Sheeesh! Next to no attractive buildings in that shot. The only ones with any redeeming qualities are the Toronto Star building (needs re-working at grade) and that squat 4 floor brick building (will become the podium for some glass towers). I suppose that 1980s Metro Hall building is decent. The rest are awful.
Maybe you had too much green tea this morning... the Metro Hall buildings are on King.. you're looking at one of the two Waterpark Place towers (which the 11 Bay proposal would PATH-connect to).

Back in the days before Pinnacle spammed the area with most of the mess in that shot, the World Trade Centre condos (lived there) with their giant Peanut out front looked ok. The good news is it looks like HPA has leveraged (or maybe blackmailed) Pinnacle with One Yonge... which will obviously improve the pic.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 6:25 PM

The One's angled steel:

Benito

Benito
Render
UT

Last edited by Maldive; Sep 23, 2020 at 12:41 AM. Reason: pic added

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 9:53 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Maybe you had too much green tea this morning... the Metro Hall buildings are on King.. you're looking at one of the two Waterpark Place towers (which the 11 Bay proposal would PATH-connect to).

Back in the days before Pinnacle spammed the area with most of the mess in that shot, the World Trade Centre condos (lived there) with their giant Peanut out front looked ok. The good news is it looks like HPA has leveraged (or maybe blackmailed) Pinnacle with One Yonge... which will obviously improve the pic.
I had too much of something, but yes, I meant Waterpark Place. I'm hoping the One Yonge development will improve the view.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 4:36 PM
Fake News

Ok that angled steel is cool. I may not be a big fan of the One but the ground level looks interesting.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 4:44 PM

The One is going to impress many people once built..... that's my opinion anyway. It's a stunning building with high quality finishes. I think the renderings don't do it justice.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 7:44 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
The One is going to impress many people once built..... that's my opinion anyway. It's a stunning building with high quality finishes. I think the renderings don't do it justice.
Agree. The renderings suggest this will be a notch or two nicer than any residential tower this city has ever seen. This might be the first Canadian condo tower that measures up to the best found in Manhattan. Once finished, I think the doubters will be gobsmacked by how good it is.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Agree. The renderings suggest this will be a notch or two nicer than any residential tower this city has ever seen. This might be the first Canadian condo tower that measures up to the best found in Manhattan. Once finished, I think the doubters will be gobsmacked by how good it is.
If this is the cladding they intend to use, you might be right. https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2019/10...erior-finishes

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 8:35 PM

^ Lol at Sam. The pic is missing his thought bubble which says "Permit* me to show you the cladding on this joint".

*lame city planning joke, no extra charge

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 1:36 AM

Quote:
You don't think that chopping off half of the top tier is going to look completely awkward when finished?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 1:52 PM
sick transit, gloria

The One's mockup does indeed look high quality, but it's a bit... grey looking? At least in that picture. The full effect may be more gold I'd hope.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 2:06 PM
I am the law!

The Bow's girth is overplayed. It doesn't feel stumpy at all and there are plenty of stumpy towers, in particular, in my next of the woods. It's a more complex and better executed design than CIBC. CIBC is still a pleasant surprise for me. It ranks well. It's just not the Bow. Telus Sky is the most exciting tower in the nation. It drips flair through its structural form. It makes it really hard to compare one on one.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 2:10 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76samian View Post
You don't think that chopping off half of the top tier is going to look completely awkward when finished?
Definitely the most egregious flaw in The One's design. I still have hope. IIRC, they have the opportunity to erect a sizable parapet. Of course, I still doubts that they will reach the proposed height and they will linger until it's topped out. Feels like it's already been 4 years just to get to this point.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 2:26 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Concur in full.

International level/spec/design/finish.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 2:27 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
The One is a mixed use building that will have some of the most expensive commercial space in the nation. Will they keep the same standards for the condos as the commercial space and does it matter as The condos start 150 feet or more in the air?

In my experience, mixed use towers like The One should be viewed as two independent buildings that happen to be stacked on one another. The building systems and functions are separate. On the construction side, the financing and the contractors are separate as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada