HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
So now it'll be a Thai-owned British Icon that was founded by an American. What's the big deal?

Wonder if visiting Brazilians say it's cool stepping into a Brazilian-owned icon that is Tim Hortons on Robson Street
Chez Tim Horton, a classy Robson Street icon.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 6:41 PM
I am the law!

You just opened a Pandora's box.

Tim Hortons is owned by a Canadian holding company. It just so happens the majority owner of the Canadian holding company is owned by a Brazilian holding company. I don't know. Is that the final stage and the Brazilian holding company is own by Brazilian people or are there more layers of holding companies leading to people outside of Brazil?

There's a German family that few would recognize that owns breakfast.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 8:42 PM

China harassing Canadian retailers again:

In 2018, Canada Goose saw the opening of its flagship store in Beijing delayed by days, with the company citing “construction reasons.” The announcement came as tensions between the two countries soared, after Canada detained Huawei Technologies Co. executive Meng Wanzhou due to an extradition request from the U.S. Earlier this year, Canada Goose was fined and criticized by state media for allegedly misleading consumers in some advertisements.

Canada Goose faces a second summons by consumer regulators in Shanghai to explain why it has a different return policy in China than elsewhere after a woman complained she was unable to get a refund for a down coat she bought in a store. The Consumer Council in the financial hub said Thursday that it was dissatisfied with the company’s first explanation and would speak with it again next week...

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/china-wa...-law-1.1690513

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 9:09 PM

Oh no!! Shitty overpriced-jacket company from Canada is called to task about their shitty policies. But no, it's evil China is doing it so we must defend our own shitty companies!!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 9:52 PM
I am the law!

Overpriced for sure. I don't know how they can avoid buying down from the global market which is mostly from live plucking.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 7:37 PM
ハルウララ

Hudson’s Bay to Close Bloor & Yonge Department Store in Downtown Toronto
By Craig Patterson
February 24, 2022

The prominent downtown Toronto Hudson’s Bay department store at 44 Bloor Street East will shut down permanently this spring, marking the end of a 47-year run for the store. From 1974 to 1991 the Bloor & Yonge Hudson’s Bay store acted as the company’s flagship until a former Simpsons store in downtown Toronto was rebranded to a Hudson’s Bay nameplate to replace it.

The news follows a Retail Insider report in July of 2021 after landlord Brookfield removed Bay-branded signage from the top of an office tower on the Hudson’s Bay Centre site. The Hudson’s Bay Centre opened in 1974 with a 340,000 square foot Hudson’s Bay department store as an anchor with the adjacent new tower containing its new head offices.

The store opening on August 7, 1974 was an exciting one given that this was the first Hudson’s Bay-branded location in Toronto, not to mention its new flagship. For years prior to that, the downtown Winnipeg store served as the company’s flagship — the downtown Winnipeg store shut permanently in late 2020.

https://retail-insider.com/bulletin/...7qWDKPHv-3lZrE

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 8:37 PM

Fingers crossed , some TNT will await that bunker after the store closes. Although, I doubt the property owners will tear it down, unfortunately.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 7:06 AM

[QUOTE=JHikka;9548220]Hudson’s Bay to Close Bloor & Yonge Department Store in Downtown Toronto
By Craig Patterson
February 24, 2022

The news follows a Retail Insider report in July of 2021 after landlord Brookfield removed Bay-branded signage from the top of an office tower on the Hudson’s Bay Centre site. The Hudson’s Bay Centre opened in 1974 with a 340,000 square foot Hudson’s Bay department store as an anchor with the adjacent new tower containing its new head offices.

Google Street View from June 2021 shows the removal of the sign.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6699...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 11:34 AM

[QUOTE=trebor204;9548950]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Hudson’s Bay to Close Bloor & Yonge Department Store in Downtown Toronto
By Craig Patterson
February 24, 2022

Google Street View from June 2021 shows the removal of the sign.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6699...7i16384!8i8192
What a lovely looking building. In modern bunker style. Ideal building to house your local data center, telephone exchange, transformer yard or fallout shelter.

Hopefully they install some windows. The old bay building in Saskatoon use to have a similar architecture, they were able to save the building and turn it fairly nice lofts by cutting floor to ceiling windows into the building.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
Fingers crossed , some TNT will await that bunker after the store closes. Although, I doubt the property owners will tear it down, unfortunately.
Brookfield will likely demolish it in quick order - the TTC has reached a deal to have it demolished for it to make their Bloor-Yonge station expansion project far cheaper (I saw a 30% number somewhere for the cost implications of demolishing it vs expanding the station with the store still above). Brookfield will then get the joy having a large blank slate for new development right at Yonge and Bloor.

The bay is closing here mostly for that reason, not because the Bay is rationalizing it’s store footprints. (There are much lower hanging fruit to shoot on that front, just look at Burlington).

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 2:34 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Brookfield will likely demolish it in quick order - the TTC has reached a deal to have it demolished for it to make their Bloor-Yonge station expansion project far cheaper (I saw a 30% number somewhere for the cost implications of demolishing it vs expanding the station with the store still above). Brookfield will then get the joy having a large blank slate for new development right at Yonge and Bloor.
From what I remember TTC wants to move the Line 1 platforms so that the entrances are more at the centre of the platform instead of at one end like they are today. They also want to add a separate platform for Line 2 so that it is dual platform instead of single platform. IIRC there was an issue with installing a new HVAC or pump station or something which is remediated if The Bay building is bulldozed.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 2:42 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
It's a lot of space to demolish but, who else will lease it? Is there another BMO/Eaton Centre opportunity? See no reason they couldn't replace the space with a 800,000 square foot tower. IIRC, Bell has also sold 15 Asquith.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper; Feb 25, 2022 at 2:54 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 2:51 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
From what I remember TTC wants to move the Line 1 platforms so that the entrances are more at the centre of the platform instead of at one end like they are today. They also want to add a separate platform for Line 2 so that it is dual platform instead of single platform. IIRC there was an issue with installing a new HVAC or pump station or something which is remediated if The Bay building is bulldozed.

IIRC, The centre and north end of Line 1 is directly under Bloor Street. It doesn't extend under the Bay. The expansion of the Line 1 platforms were tied to the construction of the Xerox tower on the south side of Bloor. The Bay redevelopment would be more of an opportunity for Line 2.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 6:59 PM

Montreal’s Gay Village Ready for Retail Revival Amid New Area Developments: Developer

Montreal boutique developer MTRPL has a knack of finding unique but under-utilized or unused, buildings in high traffic areas and turning them into gems that not only fit into their neighbourhoods but draw people to those areas.

The latest project is a historic bank property from the 1920s located on Sainte Catherine E in the heart of Gay Village, said Bryan Spatzner Co-Founder of MTRPL.

“It’s a primary commercial artery that is in need of some urban revitalization, which we plan to be a big part of. The area has a tremendous amount of master planned projects going on. The city of Montreal has coined the area the Quartier des Faubourgs.

“We’ve certainly been busy and Gay Village, Sainte Catherine Street is like a new area we’ve identified as a target.”

The building was originally built by the District and Savings Bank which later was purchased by the Laurentian Bank. In the early 2000s, Laurentian divested most of its real estate. The building is 18,000 square feet with two upper floors fully leased out to the Quebec government.

“There’s about 6,000 square feet of vacant space on the ground floor which is where we create the value and where we’re looking for a tenant. It’s a beautiful space,” said Spatzner, adding it has coffered ceilings, a marble floor, intricate woodwork throughout, gold leaf on the ceiling, with about 15-foot high ceilings, arched windows.

It’s at the corner at Saint-Timothée Street right next to the Metro Station.

Complete article from Retail Insider

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 10:49 PM

Is it deliberate that in someone123's formula, unless you have at least two Popeyes locations, the number of pro teams you have doesn't matter at all?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Is it deliberate that in someone123's formula, unless you have at least two Popeyes locations, the number of pro teams you have doesn't matter at all?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 2:13 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
1 Popeyes is just a stop by the highway, 2 is a real city.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
1 Popeyes is just a stop by the highway, 2 is a real city.
I think we have at least 4, maybe more in Waterloo region; does that make us a megalopolis than?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 11:37 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
I think we have at least 4, maybe more in Waterloo region; does that make us a megalopolis than?
Montreal has none.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Montreal has none.
I didn’t even know about Popeye chain before reading this thread. Poor, isolated Montreal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada