HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
Are the existing two micro-apartments in Portland not doing well? Footprint Properties I find this housing type very attractive.
I think there's a few more than two projects (Freedom Center comes to mind) not including micro-apartments in refurbished old buildings that have also come on line.

I don't have any occupancy figures for these projects, nor have I seen balance sheets so I cannot determine whether or not these were "flops." I suspect the original poster about "flops" doesn't either.

All that said, no micro-apartments are currently part of this proposal so we should steer the conversation back to the building being proposed.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 12:47 AM

The Hyatt Place has been submitted for Design Review.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 12:31 AM

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 12:54 AM

Drawings [30 MB] and Appendix (with renderings) [93 MB].

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 5:48 PM

Staff Report, which does not yet recommend approval.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 8:22 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Staff Report, which does not yet recommend approval.
Interesting, so it seems the only major issue with this building is the base of it and how it might be lit at night. That is pretty promising, seems like quite a skyline of quarter block towers are developing in that area. It will be nice to see some building height variety from the full block squat buildings that were built in the early days of the Pearl.

Also amazing to see how many hotels that have opened up in the Pearl after so many years of there being no hotels over there and having it feel like just a neighborhood extension. The Pearl is now truly starting to feel like an urban extension of downtown than just its own little neighborhood.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Murmurs: Pearl Residents Organize Against Hotel Tower

Pearl Residents Organize Against Hotel Tower: Residents of the Pearl District neighborhood want to block construction of a 23-story building, expected to include 170 hotel rooms and 110 apartments at Northwest 12th Avenue and Flanders Street. Pearl residents have objected to tall buildings before ("Sky Wars," WW, Jan. 24, 2018), but this time their objection isn't just height. It would be the city's tallest residential tower with no parking. "The failure to provide any onsite parking, while eliminating the 39 public parking spaces presently occupying this site, will further add to the traffic congestion in the neighborhood and discourage visitors from coming to the restaurants and shops in the area," reads the press release by the Pearl Neighbors for Integrity in Design. "This is a precedent-setting development, and not in a good way," adds Patricia Cliff, president of the organization, formed in 2018.
from Willamette Week.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 9:53 PM

This should be fun to watch. Another condo-owners-against-condos(apartments/hotel rooms, etc) special. Are they actually spending money on all these lost and perplexing causes that make the rest of the city laugh out loud?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 2:16 PM

people in a high rise area complaining about high rises-LOL

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 4:00 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
people in a high rise area complaining about high rises-LOL
I have to agree with their complaint about parking. For the apartment side, it shouldn't have any parking because the building is in the middle of downtown and if someone wants a parking spot that bad, they can buy a spot in a nearby garage. What is an issue is with the hotel not having any parking because guests have to park somewhere and if the hotel addresses that by just adding valet parking, then those valets have to park somewhere which can add to traffic in the area having valets flying down streets to get to the garage as fast as they can or vice versa from the garage to the hotel as fast as they can.

It would make sense to put in a valet only garage in the hotel building.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I have to agree with their complaint about parking. For the apartment side, it shouldn't have any parking because the building is in the middle of downtown and if someone wants a parking spot that bad, they can buy a spot in a nearby garage. What is an issue is with the hotel not having any parking because guests have to park somewhere and if the hotel addresses that by just adding valet parking, then those valets have to park somewhere which can add to traffic in the area having valets flying down streets to get to the garage as fast as they can or vice versa from the garage to the hotel as fast as they can.

Meh. Most hotels and restaurants downtown with valet parking already go off-site for parking. Doesn't matter if the valet or the customer is retrieving the car, the trip is gonna occur regardless and contribute to traffic. Might as well make better shared use of existing parking than building more. Also, plenty of hotel guests don't come with cars. Finally, there's the matter that complaining about parking downtown is dead on arrival. There's nothing in the code that can be used to require it and it's not beneficial to the livelihood of downtown to require it.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 10:31 PM

For me it's more about the lack of architectural vision and coherency. With the possible exception of the north face, the renderings portray a building that is trying very hard to disguise its height, the facades being broken up with a variety of materials, colors and staggered forms to create the impression of several buildings stacked together. Some of this is due to the architect's desire to distinguish between the hotel and residential sections of the building, but even that appears to be inconsistently applied - thus contributing to the general mayhem. I would much prefer something like WPAs glassy Jenga Tower proposed for the Burnside Bridghead, or better yet a variation of that design that might have found a way to preserve that big tree on the corner by cantilevering up and over - kind of like BIGs "Vancouver House" in BC. Too much to ask I suppose. Wouldn't have penciled out, of that I'm certain. (sigh)

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 11:03 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
Meh. Most hotels and restaurants downtown with valet parking already go off-site for parking. Doesn't matter if the valet or the customer is retrieving the car, the trip is gonna occur regardless and contribute to traffic. Might as well make better shared use of existing parking than building more. Also, plenty of hotel guests don't come with cars. Finally, there's the matter that complaining about parking downtown is dead on arrival. There's nothing in the code that can be used to require it and it's not beneficial to the livelihood of downtown to require it.
I have personally worked in the hotel industry for a long time here, I agree with you that most hotel parking is done off-site at other shared garages, but that is still a valid question that should be addressed. Where will the hotel be parking cars. It is also true that plenty of guests don't come with cars, but there are still plenty of guests that do come with cars and will be parking them somewhere within the district.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
I have personally worked in the hotel industry for a long time here, I agree with you that most hotel parking is done off-site at other shared garages, but that is still a valid question that should be addressed. Where will the hotel be parking cars. It is also true that plenty of guests don't come with cars, but there are still plenty of guests that do come with cars and will be parking them somewhere within the district.
I get what you're saying but if you remember the 5 block Brewery Block development started with a massive parking garage that spans several blocks under the buildings. There are also a few above ground garages in the area too. I've never had a problem finding off-street parking when I drive into the area. It's better to efficiently use those spots than building another unneeded garage just because they neighbors think one should be included.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 10:26 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I get what you're saying but if you remember the 5 block Brewery Block development started with a massive parking garage that spans several blocks under the buildings. There are also a few above ground garages in the area too. I've never had a problem finding off-street parking when I drive into the area. It's better to efficiently use those spots than building another unneeded garage just because they neighbors think one should be included.
That true, the Brewery Block garage is nearby to this building, I never really park in the Pearl whenever I am downtown so I can't say for sure how well that garage gets used. If the hotel is able to show they can work out an agreement to use a nearby garage for their parking, then it makes sense not requiring parking in the building. Personally I hate when buildings have to include a parking garage into its structure, especially when it ends up being an above ground garage.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Typically for a hotel to try to use the no parking on site excuse they already have an agreement with a nearby office building to share parking space. Since offices and hotels have opposite needs for parking they work well near each other. The Nines is a great local example of a hotel not needing onsite parking because they made other arrangements early on.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehogan View Post
Typically for a hotel to try to use the no parking on site excuse they already have an agreement with a nearby office building to share parking space. Since offices and hotels have opposite needs for parking they work well near each other. The Nines is a great local example of a hotel not needing onsite parking because they made other arrangements early on.
The Nines didn't really have a choice about it. They opened a hotel in an existing building; it wouldn't have made any sense to demolish the building and put up a new one just because they wanted parking.

Over the long term, I don't really see a downside for building underground parking for every new large building. Even in the unlikely event that we go car-less in the downtown area in the future , that space can be converted for other purposes. Frankly, it makes more sense in my mind to build parking space that can be used now and converted later vs. building housing/retail/office space that sits empty for now and doesn't get used for years.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 5:02 PM

Staff Report, which now recommends approval.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Staff Report, which now recommends approval.
Did the design change much since the last hearing earlier this summer? (for the hearing today)

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsg34 View Post
Did the design change much since the last hearing earlier this summer? (for the hearing today)
Well it's three hours before the hearing and the drawings haven't been posted online yet, so IDK.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland