HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 7:40 PM

DAR #2 Staff Memo and Drawings [170 MB]. Renderings towards the end of the packet (or in my twitter feed).

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 10:54 PM

excellent addition to the city.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 11:18 PM

Damn. For how fast they're moving, this whole project looks very well-considered. I'll be happily surprised if it moves forward in this cycle. I wonder if they're betting that Trump's steel-doubling tariffs will be short-lived.

We should start a betting pool or something. I'd give about a 20% chance that this one, 11W, the Art Tower, and the Press Blocks all move forward in this cycle as proposed. Any other guesses? Anyone have inside info about any of the four? I was told by a dependable source that the Press Blocks were still a 'go', but the permit wait was interminable -- that was about 2 months ago. I'm really curious how these developers account for the insane delay in permitting when they're budgeting.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 2:33 AM

BPM Real Estate Group managed to pull off Pearl West and then Broadway Tower with amazing finesse. If anyone can bring this big of a downtown Portland development out of the ground, especially given the uncertainty in regards to material prices and economic headwinds, it will be them. I'm rooting for it!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 3:00 AM

Fantastic! I love this proposal.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 5:09 AM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
The Tower half on the west should be more clearly separated from or distinguished from the Cascading half on the east. Otherwise it feels very forced. Free the Forms!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 7:11 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

This looks fantastic. I hope the realities of Trumpism don't crush it.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 5:35 AM
A before E

The drawing presentation is amazing, I still wish this block would have been the new tallest building in Portland, but what they are proposing is a great proposal. Everything seems to be very well thought out, it even makes me wish the city would close down that section of 9th to cars so that the food court portion could spill out into that street. As for working years in valet, I can definitely say they hotel portion is gonna suck for their valets. That drop off area is absolutely worthless and will probably back up regularly.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Renderings of proposed Block 216 hotel, office and residential building

BPM Real Estate Group has proposed to build a 35-story, 456-foot tower at 900 S.W. Washington St. in Portland. The developer has said the tower would include Portland's first five-star hotel, as well as apartments and offices. Plans also call for a ground-floor food hall. The site currently hosts part of the city's largest congregation of food carts.

...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 1:24 AM

O would that this team had done the Y(uck)ard.

I'm looking forward to this addition to Portland.

Hopefully the carts can find a location nearby.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 8:55 PM

Chuck Slothower from the DJC is live tweeting DAR #2.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 7:06 PM

The massing studies for this building clearly show its angles, planes, notches and protrusions, and are much more interesting than the photo-realistic rendering where all of that glass distracts from the building's form. The podium's white and beveled facade doesn't really relate to the rest of the building, but rather seems to reference the Bank of California (or whatever it is now) down the street. The rendering also appears to show the building's white cap angled up to a peak rather than angled down in a valley as per the massing studies (?). Nag, nag ,nag... :-)

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 12:56 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

I like the way the podium doesn't look like a podium. It looks like a separate building that wraps around 3/4 of the tower. I also love the contrasts of white and darks.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Chuck Slothower from the DJC is live tweeting DAR #2.
The tweets suggest that the Design Commission feels that this project has a long way to go.. Lacks cohesion?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 8:05 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
The tweets suggest that the Design Commission feels that this project has a long way to go.. Lacks cohesion?
Yeah, I read that comment too, and I don't get it. I sure hope they don't want something boring.

There was a mention of wanting it to feel like being at the center of the universe...? What the whut?

That location is NOT the center of anything. It's a great location, but it's not as if it's up against Pioneer Courthouse Square or Waterfront Park, or in the heart of the shopping or business districts. It's a few blocks to the west of any of that.

I feel like the busyness of the podium fits into the variety of everything around the block it's on, and the simplicity of the tower nicely contrasts that while rising above it all.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 5:15 PM

Good news that there is already a Letter of Intent with a Hotelier. This puts a lot of legitimacy and perhaps some urgency to this proposal.

Last edited by Natural; Aug 19, 2018 at 9:15 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 3:38 PM

Design commission will dumb it down. Clean lines and all that BS. Watch the design degrade as they implement their suggestions. You can't have angles, planes, notches and protrusions. All details must be scrubbed to make sure the building projects cold, flat, lifeless glass walls.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 5:42 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Yeah, I read that comment too, and I don't get it. I sure hope they don't want something boring.

There was a mention of wanting it to feel like being at the center of the universe...? What the whut?

That location is NOT the center of anything. It's a great location, but it's not as if it's up against Pioneer Courthouse Square or Waterfront Park, or in the heart of the shopping or business districts. It's a few blocks to the west of any of that.

I feel like the busyness of the podium fits into the variety of everything around the block it's on, and the simplicity of the tower nicely contrasts that while rising above it all.
It may not be the center of anything location right now, but I could see that area along 10th to Powells be a major focal point in the city.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 9:06 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
It may not be the center of anything location right now, but I could see that area along 10th to Powells be a major focal point in the city.
The area already has an active buzz about it. Several years ago the mixed-use 12 West tower landed at SW 12th and Washington, launching redevelopment along 12th from Burnside to Morrison bringing the new energy of the Brewery Blocks southward. The redevelopment energized the first block of SW 13th and extended down Stark to 10th. So GBD's new tower on the food cart block will simply super-charge the already growing energy and activity of the West End.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
Design commission will dumb it down. Clean lines and all that BS. Watch the design degrade as they implement their suggestions. You can't have angles, planes, notches and protrusions. All details must be scrubbed to make sure the building projects cold, flat, lifeless glass walls.
Jeebs hopefully it wont be that bad

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland